Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 October 2018, 16:27   #1

Length: 7m +
Revenger 29 / Scorpion Serket

Anyone got one? I am looking at both but also considering a total change to something like a Merry Fisher Offshore 895 (missus would quite like a boat that we can sleep on).

My thinking is to stick with a Rib and the difference in costs would pay for a good few nights in Hotels close to the Marinas we go to in the daytime..!
Old 09 October 2018, 22:49   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Very different boats. Revenger faster, better handbrake turn type handling. The 29 stepped hull was my first choice. Scorpion is imo a great sea boat. The best maybe in class. Not so fast or efficient. I have a stepped hull 8.1. Some of the latest scorpions appear to have lost functionality for style. However the seating choice is generally better than a revenger for the drivers.

After sales is tricky as revenger have very sadly gone. Scorpion remain but are very commercial now and less “cottage”. Scorpion have been helpful with recent enquiries I have had though even though my boat is 16 years old.

My mrs wants a boat with a lid too. I’m fighting it. But doubt I’ll win in the long run.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:37   #3

Thanks for your reply, very useful.

The chap I bought my 715 from went to Scorpion (not sure of exact model but looked around 8m with two big engines on the back) and now has a 29 with what looks like a stern drive, maybe a diesel. Apparently does 60mph and the vid I've seen of it breaking through the swell looked awesome.

The problem I have is both are rare boats. Think I prefer the 'look' of the 29 - not sure on the rear facing seats on the Serket (built into the driver console).

Is that a 'Rude 250HO you have? I was thinking of putting one on the back of my 715 next season if I keep it, to replace the DI currently on the back (which I have to say has been faultless apart from a minor electrical niggle and gives my boat plenty of grunt).
Old 10 October 2018, 22:07   #4

250ho etec on the back. Big engine for a715. I’ve had a couple of issues. Lately an injector failed. It would have cost about £700 to repair through a dealer, but I managed to source evdiag to diagnose, then replaced it myself. I thought I was overpropped with 25” hitting 61mph but it turned out to be the injector and I was running on 5 cylinders. I bought a 21” prop and Only tested once on a rough day, got 61mph fully trimmed in and near top of rev range. It used to run 71mph all day long but I’ve added weight. I think this engine on anything smaller would be scary. Lol.

I know the racers knock the evinrude for saddle strength in comparison to a mercury racing offshore saddle but I’ve had no issue and any saddle can break. All modern non carbed outboards are quite complex now. My mate runs a small tohatsu on a 5m rib and burns as much fuel as me around 25mph and I have 4x the power. He swapped to old technology after an injector failure on an etec. Etecs do sound good.
https://youtu.be/26D-ll9rE6I My old mariner optimax went through 3 injectors in one year. So it’s no different.

Back on topic. If you can afford a diesel. You increase your cruising range and economy. 29stepped revenger or 8.1 inboard. Both are boats with long legs. Get one with a social seating area and you might keep the missus happy a little longer

We looked at an old windy 8800 last week, it’s what she wants. Not sure I am ready for that type of boat, despite their reputation and wind and weather protection. Anything modern which is that shape seems to have a constant deadrise hull which brings back memories of my old American cuddy and getting slammed about.

I remember an old biboa cruise YouTube video of a 27 stepped hull revenger. A few of the members said he struggled in the rough alongside the scorpions, I think the same gentleman then bought a Scorpion. If I have my facts right, he may have even set some speed records in the scorpion. Revenger are my second favourite rib. Either would do you proud.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:28   #5

Link to the gentleman who had a revenger then scorpion. Could be asking him for an opinion. Don’t know if he posts on here but has replied to me on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/marclyne
Old 13 October 2018, 17:08   #6

that link doesn't work - at least not for me :-(
Old 14 October 2018, 12:00   #7

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase