Old 25 August 2009, 11:07   #1

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Revenger 23 - 7m advice

Hi,

Looking at a 1999 revenger 23 7m has anyone on here had any exerience of them and be able to give me there good and bad points? I am based on west coast of Scotland so will be using it up and down the coast plus would like to be able to go across to Ireland.

Also things should look for if i do go and view?

It has a mariner 135hp engine on it.

any comments would be appreciated
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 11:16   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Not enough power to make it real fun. Look for stress cracks around the flange which supports the tubes where it curves into the hull, especially at the bow, and anywhere else of course. I've seen them a bit flexi at the bow even after not a lot of use.
Old 25 August 2009, 17:25   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
On ebay now? If so check the tube colour for fading, I seem to remember the original listing mentioned this problem.
Old 25 August 2009, 17:29   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Hypalon tubes can look as faded as hell - a bit of TFR and they look like new.

Generally Revenger have a very good name and they are brilliant hulls. Maybe a bit finer at the bow than some but will still cope with rough seas.

Really needs a 200hp on the back but you could always upgrade later. As it's a 2 stroke it should be about the same as a 150hp 4 stroke.
Old 25 August 2009, 18:10   #5

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
I'm not as experienced as most here, however I looked at a Revenger 7m when buying my first RIB.

Great reputation and of good build quality. Personally I didn't care for the seat configuration on the Revengers I looked at - they didn't suit a 'family day out' as well as the Ribeye (for example).

I would echo what's already been said - it's a thumping big boat for a 135 engine. Needs something more powerful I suspect.
Old 03 September 2009, 19:54   #6

Revenger past owner

having owned a 25 with a small 150 optimax I have nothing but praise and admiration for them.This particular rib was Revengers own demo boat so they could have fitted any size up to 240 they wanted.So why did they choose 150 optimax two stroke. 50 mph and still returning one litre a mile when crusing at 30 to 35mph.
I used to accompany another 6 mtr rib with a 200hp optimax.Yes his was faster but he allways put about 1/3 more fuel in his tank than me doing the same distances and speed.
Bigger cc has got to mean more gas and when it is as dear as now you have to batten down somwhere.The rib would take on any sea and still handle ok with a very soft ride.I have a bad back and never had to stand up whatever the sea state.
They are also built to exacting standards with the finish better than most other ribs I have owned,Delta 5.5,Avon 5.6,Tornado 7.5,Hysucat,Camel trophy Ribtec,Northcraft 5.5 and 6.5,Seedoo jet rib Naiid aluminium cabin rib. As to which was best of all, Naiid ride but two thirsty even with twin Yam 100 four strokes.They had to be gunned all the time to get the two and half tons moving.
happy cruising all
Old 30 September 2009, 14:44   #7

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Revenger 23 - 7M advise

Thanks Tremendos for your kind words about Revenger. I think I know the boat you had, light light tube outboard well, this was fitted with a 150 Opti as requested by the boats original customer, and yes it was under-powered but still OK.
Also very pleased to hear you had no trouble by sitting down and driving your 25, even with your bad back.
Old 30 September 2009, 16:09   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemendos View Post
I used to accompany another 6 mtr rib with a 200hp optimax.Yes his was faster but he allways put about 1/3 more fuel in his tank than me doing the same distances and speed.
Interesting. Bedajim's 6.5 Vipermax/200 Opti used around the same amount of fuel as my 5.8 Vipermax/150 Opti, when we ran over to the Isles of Scilly a few months ago.
Old 01 October 2009, 23:25   #9

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Revenger 25

Treemendos (geoff) it is Jonathan here who bought your revenger 25 I have to say the hull definetly could handle more HP but in saying that goes fine with the 150 and handles very well was out in a rough sea a week or so ago and was very impresses with the speed we could still carry even when rough.

I will post a picture later.
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote