Old 15 May 2001, 04:04   #1

Town: paris /france
REVENGER

Hi all

Anyone with REVENGER experience out there?
What about the 29 diesel inb?
I am mainly interested about her seakeeping in rough weather, anyone wishing to share his experience with the specific boat or any other REV model, please help.
Old 15 May 2001, 09:22   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I don't own a Revenger, so my comments are from observation rather than direct experience. I have been around quite a few RIBs though.

Revenger make fast, sporty RIBs favoured by racers. The design incorporates very tapered tubes, which give it a sleek look and cut down on wind resistance. The build quality and finish are good, but you are unlikely to find many used by rescue services!

They wouldn't be my first choice for heavy weather work -- but it depends on what your priorities are. If speed is your thing then a Revenger might be the RIB for you. There may be better heavy weather RIBs, but if you do get caught out in bad weather it's unlikely to perform too badly.

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 16 May 2001, 12:04   #3

Thanks John,

See, what I rely want to do is to be able to make long offshore passages as comfortably and safely as possible and speed is definately not my priority.

Still I have the feeling that most of the more commercial style ribs tend to compromise on general comfort, (seating,layout etc)

What I am looking for, is a real expedition craft with priorities on seaworthiness and strength of construction, not a race boat or a pure workboat.

The boat is to be used in the Med,operating in the rough Aegean waters, so a degree of deck comfort is also desirable.A pair of jokey seats and single console will simply not do the job no matter how strongly they are build.
Old 16 May 2001, 17:36   #4
Administrator

I would have a look at Ribtec, Ribcraft, Scorpion, Redbay and Osprey.

They all make proven offshore boats with a range of seating and console options, without being too "workboaty" (with the possible exception of Ribcraft whose angular tubes not as good looking as the others -- sorry Jace )

Whatever you go for, I strongly suggest that you do go for jockey seats as they are far better than bench seats in the rough.

Cheers
John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet
Old 16 May 2001, 20:41   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
100% with you on Jockey seats John.
I have spent ages looking for a "prettier" but highly practical alternative. Can't find one. Nearest is the US bolster seats available via Ballistic RIBS but heavy, big and around £1000 a pop !
If you get high quality Jockey seats with side pads, they seem the best solution today.
If anyone thinks of another alternative pl. let me know. I am about to buy and install two twin seaters in my new boat.
Old 16 May 2001, 21:03   #6

I would go for bolsters definately for pilot and navigator, and bench aft.
Scorpion looks to me as having the same philosophy more or less as Revenger.
Generally speaking are they considered more seaworthy?
I know very well the 8.60 model (2x115 Yamaha 4str.)
What about Tornado?

Thanks for your help John,I definatelly want to buy an english RIB but I need some guidance .
In Greece every importer claims his to be the best.
Old 17 May 2001, 06:47   #7
Administrator

I don't know that Scorpions are necessarily more seaworthy than Revengers, but I can think of more Scorpion owners who do serious offshore cruising.

Tornado make good offshore hulls, and the quality is OK although the finish is not as good as some of the others. I have found their distributors in the UK to be pretty unhelpful, and I have heard the same from a number of other people too (but i'm not sure who you would be dealing with in Greece). Tornados are still very much work boat style RIBs, so may not be what you are looking for.

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet