Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Reupholster seat, bench and bow pads

I'm considering reupholstering the seats, bench and pads - I'm not keen on the blue/white and the plywood backing on some of the seats is falling apart. I've already had to replace one of the bow pads and anchor locker pad with foamex.

I've approached two upholsterers so far; Coast Furnishings in Totton and Hawk House - both offered marine PVC, neither offered SIlvertex.

Getting to the point! Has anyone tried Silvrtex and how does the durability/longevity compare with marine PVC (not sure what makes it marine) and can you recomend an upholsterer?
Old 20 November 2020, 06:26   #2

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
I reupholstered with Silvertex graphite using reticulated foam.
The colour does fade slightly in the fierce summer sun, but nothing really to worry about. I was quite surprised how well it has stood up to two seasons so far.

I used a local furniture guy here in Chandler's Ford, taking all the seats to him so he had them in his workshop. I sourced the material, but he could get it cheaper than I could.

I used new external waterproof ply from Wickes, painted with water based paint.....

I kept it all simple with no fancy piping or extra bit's and the end result being very happy with it all.
Old 20 November 2020, 07:31   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
We use Sandnanks Marine upholstery in Bournemouth, Rob is great guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to chat through the options. Top quality work!
Old 20 November 2020, 18:25   #4

Town: New Mlilton
Boat name: When in Rome
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 225
Matt at Custom Covers 01202742870 made a great job of our 7.5m Cobra
Old 20 November 2020, 18:37   #5

RIBase
I've emailed Sandbank covers - thanks Steve

@Charlie_5 do you have any pics to share?
Old 20 November 2020, 20:23   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Steve at Harbour Upholstery in Bournemouth/Ringwood just recovered all the seats on my 9m Ribtec (jockey bases, back rests, and the helm leaning post), although I can't comment on Silvertex - I just asked for it to be done like for like in Nautolex vinyl, to replace exactly what had lasted the previous 15 or so years! I'm sure when I was researching though I saw he does use Silvertex as well.

I only picked them up earlier this week, and haven't yet got round to installing them, but really happy with the quality of the work from what I've seen when admiring them at home, and I'll certainly be using Steve again when one of our boats next needs upholstery work.
Old 21 November 2020, 10:30   #7

Town: New Mlilton
Boat name: When in Rome
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
I've emailed Sandbank covers - thanks Steve

@Charlie_5 do you have any pics to share?
Hi Monkey I hope I have attached the pics properly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	135656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	135657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib 4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	135658  
Old 22 November 2020, 08:53   #8

Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Steve at Harbour Upholstery in Bournemouth/Ringwood just recovered all the seats on my 9m Ribtec (jockey bases, back rests, and the helm leaning post), although I can't comment on Silvertex - I just asked for it to be done like for like in Nautolex vinyl, to replace exactly what had lasted the previous 15 or so years! I'm sure when I was researching though I saw he does use Silvertex as well.

I only picked them up earlier this week, and haven't yet got round to installing them, but really happy with the quality of the work from what I've seen when admiring them at home, and I'll certainly be using Steve again when one of our boats next needs upholstery work.
Did Steve used to work in ringwoods AQUAMARINE UPHOLSTERY LIMITED. If so he did my seats. I wondered where he had gone.
Old 22 November 2020, 09:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Did Steve used to work in ringwoods AQUAMARINE UPHOLSTERY LIMITED. If so he did my seats. I wondered where he had gone.
Yes, exactly, the same guy. He now has his own company Harbour Upholstery, also with his workshop in Ringwood, but he lives around Bournemouth, and so for ease I dropped off and collected bits from Bournemouth which was very helpful.

His website/contact details are: https://www.harbourupholstery.co.uk
Old 23 November 2020, 19:38   #10

RIBase
Quote:

Thanks - I'll add give him a call. Out of interest, didyou have the seat base and foam replasced or just the outer fabric?
Old 23 November 2020, 20:51   #11

I asked Steve for the options/recommendations on the phone, and he was very honest and said if I was happy with the comfort level of the existing foam, then he wouldn't suggest replacing it. Likewise with the base boards, if it was still solid, and all of mine were perfect, he didn't see the need to just replace them. I then took everything to him for the job, and he agreed nothing more needed doing, so I ended up just with all the covers replaced. Given the passenger jockey seats very rarely get used anyway but were starting to annoy me visually as one of the covers had just about split, that was perfect for me and saved a lot of money. The quality of his work looks brilliant, and definitely much better than some bow cushions I'd previously had done a few years ago in the same material elsewhere.

Other places, without actually looking at anything, insisted on replacing absolutely everything at great expense, which I don't disagree might make it even better, but I wasn't really looking to spend that much money on the seating, especially when most of it never gets used!
Old 25 November 2020, 04:12   #12

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 225
New upholstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
We use Sandnanks Marine upholstery in Bournemouth, Rob is great guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to chat through the options. Top quality work!
Another recommendation for Rob at Sandbanks Marine. Just had my Scorpion done, after a disaster with another company a year ago. New boards, foam, and all done in record time. Silvertex fabric.
Chris Hornidge
Old 25 November 2020, 11:30   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Another recommendation for Rob at Sandbanks Marine. Just had my Scorpion done, after a disaster with another company a year ago. New boards, foam, and all done in record time. Silvertex fabric.
Chris Hornidge
Thanks Chris - what influenced your decision to use Silvertex rather than traditional Marine PV?
Old 26 November 2020, 14:06   #14

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 225
Upholstery fabric

The main issue with PVC is that over time and especially in hot conditions, the plasticizers which are used in the coating of the base fabric, will start leaching out, and the surface becomes tacky and porous. Silvertex fabric is generally accepted , and has proven to be a far superior fabric and does not suffer in hot conditions.
The same issue is often experienced when the inflatable tube fabric used in construction of tubes/collars is PVC coated fabric.
Old 29 November 2020, 08:34   #15

Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Yes, exactly, the same guy. He now has his own company Harbour Upholstery, also with his workshop in Ringwood, but he lives around Bournemouth, and so for ease I dropped off and collected bits from Bournemouth which was very helpful.

His website/contact details are: https://www.harbourupholstery.co.uk
Thank you. That’s handy to know.
Old 01 December 2020, 19:12   #16

I finally finished fitting my upholstery recovered in Nautolex blue vinyl by Steve at Harbour Upholstery today, and am super happy with it. All beautifully put together, and fitted perfectly.

Just need to get afloat now to test it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3108.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	135717  
Old 28 August 2021, 19:18   #17

Town: Guildford
Make: rib eye
Engine: 225
Lena in West Wales did an amazing job for me !