Old 27 August 2019, 10:12   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Return of The Nashers Revenge

Hello all, especially those who possibly remember me.

I’ve not really been active on the forum for several years, and haven’t even ‘Lurked’ much either, but still have very fond memories of good friends made in the Solent area and beyond, and trips out to terrorise Cowes and Yarmouth when 20 or so Ribs on a Ribnet Cruise needed to raft up at the same time.

Life has just sort of got in the way of using the Rib. Illness, a run of what felt like really bad luck, family commitments, that old Chestnut - cash, and just life in general meant that whenever time and money allowed, and crucially when I felt up to it, it was easier to drag my motorbike out of the garage, have a ride out, and tuck it back up in the garage, than make the much bigger commitment in energy, time and money to use the RIB. We’ve also not had a holiday in 3 years, so I’ve not towed the RIB to Devon for what was our usual 2 weeks of boating and Diving around Dartmouth with friends.

A priority for me is to make a public apology to Nos4r2, he’s a good mate who’s tried to keep in touch, but I’ve only returned the effort sporadically, so I’m sorry mate, we’ll meet up soon to catch up I hope.

And so to The Nashers Revenge, my 1997 6.5M Ocean that was the subject of quite a few technical threads on here years ago, including when I replaced the ancient 150HP Johnson VRO with a 1997 Suzuki 200EFI, a lovely motor that sounds great, has given years of faithful service, and actually used far less fuel than you’d expect at cruising speeds, although it’s a different story when towing a doughnut or at WOT.

I’ve made sure that TNR has been protected from the weather whilst mothballed, she’s had a wash down once a year, and although kept covered has been well ventilated and hasn’t suffered too much through lack of use. I can’t move her at the moment from the storage facility where she’s sat on her trailer as I’ve also lost my Tow Car, my faithful D3 finally got to the point where it wasn’t worth spending money on parts to fix it a couple of months ago, but at 15yrs old and 232K miles I couldn’t really complain.

But, life has turned around a little recently, and I’ll soon be in a position to purchase a newer Discovery and resurrect TNR for next summer.
Of course the resurrection will be covered on here, but don’t expect too much immediately.

The trailer I know will need a good service, new brakes etc, and possibly a new hitch, but should be OK on the whole.

The tubes, despite being 22yrs old still hold air and clean up to an acceptable level for the time being, but once other work has been carried out I’m sure a new set of tubes will be considered sooner rather than later.

The Hull is very sound, apart from I do think the very bottom of the ply in the transom may need cutting out and replacing due to water ingress over the years.
But working with fibreglass and wood holds no fears for me so I’m not that worried about doing it, and I’ll need to do some major work on the transom when I swap engines anyway.
There are some little bits and pieces of damage to attend to, and I’ll also need to do the horrible job of getting all the old antifouling off.

I’ve fixed the engine a few times over the years, rebuilding the gearbox, servicing it and keeping it in good condition, but when last used it was hesitating, and friends following in other boats said I was leaving a nice smell of Petrol in my wake. I’d had a concern about it for a while, my gut was telling me it’s going to get unreliable.
This is the big one, I’ll not be happy to use the boat until it’s been changed, but it’s also not worth sticking a £20K engine on such an old boat, so I’m now starting to look for a low hours Yamaha 200HPDI or First gen ETEC200 to drop on. As usual weight is an issue, the boat isn’t built for heavy modern engines, and I also like 2 strokes, so don’t want to use a 4-stroke.

So there it is, I really want to get the RIB back on the water for next summer, but know I’ll have a lot to do in the spring.

Here’s the Nashers Revenge in better times:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TNR.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	130646  
Old 27 August 2019, 10:29   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Hello all, especially those who possibly remember me.

I’ve not really been active on the forum for several years, and haven’t even ‘Lurked’ much either, but still have very fond memories of good friends made in the Solent area and beyond, and trips out to terrorise Cowes and Yarmouth when 20 or so Ribs on a Ribnet Cruise needed to raft up at the same time.

Life has just sort of got in the way of using the Rib. Illness, a run of what felt like really bad luck, family commitments, that old Chestnut - cash, and just life in general meant that whenever time and money allowed, and crucially when I felt up to it, it was easier to drag my motorbike out of the garage, have a ride out, and tuck it back up in the garage, than make the much bigger commitment in energy, time and money to use the RIB. We’ve also not had a holiday in 3 years, so I’ve not towed the RIB to Devon for what was our usual 2 weeks of boating and Diving around Dartmouth with friends.

A priority for me is to make a public apology to Nos4r2, he’s a good mate who’s tried to keep in touch, but I’ve only returned the effort sporadically, so I’m sorry mate, we’ll meet up soon to catch up I hope.

And so to The Nashers Revenge, my 1997 6.5M Ocean that was the subject of quite a few technical threads on here years ago, including when I replaced the ancient 150HP Johnson VRO with a 1997 Suzuki 200EFI, a lovely motor that sounds great, has given years of faithful service, and actually used far less fuel than you’d expect at cruising speeds, although it’s a different story when towing a doughnut or at WOT.

I’ve made sure that TNR has been protected from the weather whilst mothballed, she’s had a wash down once a year, and although kept covered has been well ventilated and hasn’t suffered too much through lack of use. I can’t move her at the moment from the storage facility where she’s sat on her trailer as I’ve also lost my Tow Car, my faithful D3 finally got to the point where it wasn’t worth spending money on parts to fix it a couple of months ago, but at 15yrs old and 232K miles I couldn’t really complain.

But, life has turned around a little recently, and I’ll soon be in a position to purchase a newer Discovery and resurrect TNR for next summer.

Of course the resurrection will be covered on here, but don’t expect too much immediately.

The trailer I know will need a good service, new brakes etc, and possibly a new hitch, but should be OK on the whole.

The tubes, despite being 22yrs old still hold air and clean up to an acceptable level for the time being, but once other work has been carried out I’m sure a new set of tubes will be considered sooner rather than later.

The Hull is very sound, apart from I do think the very bottom of the ply in the transom may need cutting out and replacing due to water ingress over the years.

But working with fibreglass and wood holds no fears for me so I’m not that worried about doing it, and I’ll need to do some major work on the transom when I swap engines anyway.

There are some little bits and pieces of damage to attend to, and I’ll also need to do the horrible job of getting all the old antifouling off.

I’ve fixed the engine a few times over the years, rebuilding the gearbox, servicing it and keeping it in good condition, but when last used it was hesitating, and friends following in other boats said I was leaving a nice smell of Petrol in my wake. I’d had a concern about it for a while, my gut was telling me it’s going to get unreliable.

This is the big one, I’ll not be happy to use the boat until it’s been changed, but it’s also not worth sticking a £20K engine on such an old boat, so I’m now starting to look for a low hours Yamaha 200HPDI or First gen ETEC200 to drop on. As usual weight is an issue, the boat isn’t built for heavy modern engines, and I also like 2 strokes, so don’t want to use a 4-stroke.

So there it is, I really want to get the RIB back on the water for next summer, but know I’ll have a lot to do in the spring.

Here’s the Nashers Revenge in better times:

Welcome back, I hope the future is kind to you & yours[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 10:30   #3

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi Nasher
Great to see you are back.
Sounds as if you've had a tough old time.
Glad things are now looking up dor you and hope to see TNR out on the water next year
LT
Old 27 August 2019, 10:44   #4

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Did I see it on a trailer this weekend?
Old 27 August 2019, 11:12   #5

Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Did I see it on a trailer this weekend?
I hope not

I last saw it at the storage facility where I keep it about 16.00hrs yesterday after I'd given it a wash and a made some notes.

It would rip the back end off the temporary car I'm driving at the moment if I tried to tow it anywhere, so if it's moved since then it's been nicked!

Nasher.
Old 27 August 2019, 11:15   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Good to see you back, Nasher. There's a guy on Boatmad selling a couple of HPDI a few weeks ago, iirc somewhere around 250 hours use. I'll see if I can fine the ad for you.
Old 27 August 2019, 11:22   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Here ya go.
Yamaha 250 HPDI XL X2 - Boatmad.com
Old 27 August 2019, 11:51   #8

Thanks JW, it's nice to hear from you, I hope all is well with you.

Thanks for the link, I'll see if my Boatmad account is still active and contact him.

Nasher.
Old 27 August 2019, 11:55   #9

Actually JW thoses are 250 HPDIs, which are a bigger block and are known to have reliability issues.

The 200 is lighter and has a better reputation.

Thanks anyway.

Nasher.
Old 27 August 2019, 12:13   #10

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Hi Nasher, as all have said before me - welcome back and good to hear things are getting sorted for you to the best. You and I are part of the ribnet "oldtimers" some just vanish and you never hear from them again but others like yourself bounce back- and that is nice
Old 27 August 2019, 12:29   #11

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: TORA
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Send a message via Skype™ to TUFTY
Welcome back and hope to see you on the water next year.
Old 27 August 2019, 13:00   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep welcome back Nasher… being a mere sibber and knowing my place our only interaction was over Aerotec repairs... I guess that's long gone and the little are Nashers not so little now??
Old 27 August 2019, 13:19   #13

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Yea welcome back mate. Hope the road ahead is kinder to you and yours. I look forward to hearing all about Nasher’s rebirth over the coming months and hope it’s not too long before she’s back in the water with you at the helm.
Atb. J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 13:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Hi Nasher, as all have said before me - welcome back and good to hear things are getting sorted for you to the best. You and I are part of the ribnet "oldtimers" some just vanish and you never hear from them again but others like yourself bounce back- and that is nice
Andre

Hi, it’s nice to see there are still some of the old Solent crowd around.

You are probably the only one of the old crowd that I’ve seen in years, but that’s because I’ve carried on going to Seawork and SBS where you’ve been exhibiting your lovely range of boats.
I’ll drop in and say hello in a few weeks down at Mayflower park.
I’ll be there on Thursday the 19th Sept if anyone fancies catching up at the Guiness bar lunchtime.

Nasher
Old 27 August 2019, 13:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
being a mere sibber
Nowt wrong with being a Sibber, hardy bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
our only interaction was over Aerotec repairs... I guess that's long gone and the little Nashers not so little now??
Wow, yes I remember that conversation.

The Aerotec and 15HP Suzi are still in the garage, but again have not really been used.
As you suggest the Smaller Nashers have grown up a bit and have been doing other things, but have recently been giving me some encouragement to get back on the water.
The Eldest has actually been talking about taking on the Aerotec as he’s just finishing his Masters and has a job to go to.

It’s really nice, and in truth a little overwhelming, that people remember us.

Nasher
Old 27 August 2019, 14:44   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
It’s really nice, and in truth a little overwhelming, that people remember us.

Nasher
Welcome back Nasher. I particularly remember your thread describing the fabrication of a yellow witches hat...

Old 27 August 2019, 14:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Welcome back Nasher. I particularly remember your thread describing the fabrication of a yellow witches hat...

Ah yes.

I sent it to Practical Boat Owner as a project.
Earnt me £250 that one.

Nasher.
Old 27 August 2019, 15:49   #18

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
welcome back Nasher i hope the future is a lot brighter for you cheers
Old 27 August 2019, 17:33   #19

Town: Wild West