Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 January 2020, 14:41   #1
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Retube costs?

Hi all, going looking at a 7m Humber destroyer with the intention of possibly buying my first rib! Any tips on what to look for? And if she needs new tubes how big of a job is it? Big step to take but canít wait to own one!
__________________

__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 15:10   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 715
https://www.ribretubes.co.uk/gallery this may help
__________________

__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 15:32   #3
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Thanks Iíll make sure the tubes are good so!!
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 16:03   #4
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,992
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Thanks Iíll make sure the tubes are good so!!


Ball park figure is £1k/m of boat length. So you need to budget £7k for a retube.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 16:56   #5
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,959
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ball park figure is £1k/m of boat length. So you need to budget £7k for a retube.

That's a bit (plenty) strong Dave...get a much better deal than that if you shop around in the quiet months
If the Tubes are Shot....unless the Boat is otherwise very sound...CHEAP!...and exactly what you want!...
I'd start saving some penny's for more/better options.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 17:11   #6
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 118
bring someone with you who is knowledgeable about ribs. at first glance and without a sea trial you may be buying a pig in a poke and the tubes may be the least of you worries.
__________________
mikehhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 17:16   #7
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Thanks all! Thereís also a 7 m Excalibur coming up soon so I might hold out for that..?
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 17:28   #8
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	131833 at first glance what ye guys think
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:31   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,205
RIBase
It's an ex dive boat so if you are diving, it will be fine but if you are planning on doing family stuff, the inside might need to be reconfigured.

I think the tubes on dive boats tend to suffer quite a hard life.

I like the commercial look but it's not for everyone.

Everything on a boat is expensive but engine and tubes are probably the top two.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:43   #10
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
It's an ex dive boat so if you are diving, it will be fine but if you are planning on doing family stuff, the inside might need to be reconfigured.

I think the tubes on dive boats tend to suffer quite a hard life.

I like the commercial look but it's not for everyone.

Everything on a boat is expensive but engine and tubes are probably the top two.


Yeah, I actually have been picking up bits along the way, I have a double console, 4 jockey seats to put into her,to make her a bit more user friendly, I love the commercial look! how do you know if the tubes are in trouble tho? Just fading.. or tears? Leaks...How do you check if they are secure to the hull? Sorry for all the questions
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:12   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Yeah, I actually have been picking up bits along the way, I have a double console, 4 jockey seats to put into her,to make her a bit more user friendly, I love the commercial look! how do you know if the tubes are in trouble tho? Just fading.. or tears? Leaks...How do you check if they are secure to the hull? Sorry for all the questions
Tubes dont tend to come loose often look out for heavy abrasion to the tube top & thinning of the rubber at the top of the tubes it degrades with uv and eventualy wears through to the canvas underneath also check the area at the rear of the tubes where it attaches to the hull & be very wary of patches in this area its hard to repair and gets a hard time especially if the boat has been used underinflated or left on a mooring for long periods.
Also check the same at the bow area but that area doesnt usually get as much hammer.
Avoid boats that have had painted tubes, the paint is usually covering shot tubes & be suspicious of large recently applied wear patches on top of tubes these could be hiding degraded tube tops
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:43   #12
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,992
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

That's a bit (plenty) strong Dave...get a much better deal than that if you shop around in the quiet months
If the Tubes are Shot....unless the Boat is otherwise very sound...CHEAP!...and exactly what you want!...
I'd start saving some penny's for more/better options.


I did say ď budget priceĒ if heís got £7k in his head & it costs him £5k then heís happy. If heís got £4K in his head & it costs £5k, then he feels heís been stiffed. It all depends on the spec he goes for. You can soon chuck a grand at wear patches, HD material upgrade, rubbing strakes, handles, bow rollers, lifelines, PRVs etc.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:17   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Bandit
Make: Ribtec 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 2-Stroke
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
^^^ PD is right.

I'd look around for one in better shape. There are more sellers than buyers, here anyway. And then a cheeky offer - the day I bought mine it was snowing and the seller wanted rid - perfect.

Spending a bit more time and money to get one that is a sound platform to build what you want, rather than completely starting again is well worth while in my view.

My boat was a great starting point, sad, mucky with dated kit and damage to the deck surface, the gelcoat underneath and trailer etc, all stuff I could fix myself. But under all that it was a dry under used little gem that has come up beautifully. Yes I've spent £££ but then the engine swap was only a £600 difference and after that it was a £100 here and £100 there, over time you don't even notice it and now I have a great boat for not a lot of money.

Good luck with your search, where are you looking?
__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:35   #14
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
^^^ PD is right.

I'd look around for one in better shape. There are more sellers than buyers, here anyway. And then a cheeky offer - the day I bought mine it was snowing and the seller wanted rid - perfect.

Spending a bit more time and money to get one that is a sound platform to build what you want, rather than completely starting again is well worth while in my view.

My boat was a great starting point, sad, mucky with dated kit and damage to the deck surface, the gelcoat underneath and trailer etc, all stuff I could fix myself. But under all that it was a dry under used little gem that has come up beautifully. Yes I've spent £££ but then the engine swap was only a £600 difference and after that it was a £100 here and £100 there, over time you don't even notice it and now I have a great boat for not a lot of money.

Good luck with your search, where are you looking?


Ya Iíll keep a look out but , the Humber is still worth a look, might be in great condition after all... Iím in the south of Ireland, ideally lookin for something 6-6.5m
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:16   #15
Member
 
Waterman's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 optimax
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 187
I had my Ribtec 655 retubed a couple of years ago by a guy in Co Laois.
Very reasonable and excellent quality, all materials were purchase from Henshaws in UK.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8508.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	131849Click image for larger version

Name:	NIK_7357.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	131850Click image for larger version

Name:	NIK_7365.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	131851Click image for larger version

Name:	NIK_7371.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	131852Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6967.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	131853
Not sure if heís still in business but PM me if you would like more details.
__________________
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 14:14   #16
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
I had my Ribtec 655 retubed a couple of years ago by a guy in Co Laois.
Very reasonable and excellent quality, all materials were purchase from Henshaws in UK.Attachment 131849Attachment 131850Attachment 131851Attachment 131852Attachment 131853
Not sure if heís still in business but PM me if you would like more details.


She turned out well! I will be on to you if I do need to go down that road, but as I havenít bought yet Iíll try and avoid it!!
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 17:31   #17
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Make: Redbay 7.4S
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki Df250A
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 266
There’s a company in Sligo doing retubes, probably worth speaking to.
I’m guessing the additional cost would be a deal breaker versus the cost of a similar rib that didn’t need new tubes.
The rib market here comes to life in a couple of months and briefly.
I’d keep my powder dry and see what turns up.
Re-tubes, layout modifications all add cost that you are unlikely to recoup, particularly if they aren’t done professionally.
I’d make a list of “wants” and go looking for that.
There’s no big difficulty brining a boat over from the uk (at the moment...). The choice is bigger, as is the market.

Happy shopping.
__________________
Iron Dials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:31   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,205
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Ya Iíll keep a look out but , the Humber is still worth a look, might be in great condition after all... Iím in the south of Ireland, ideally lookin for something 6-6.5m
I think you are already picturing yourself driving a big, orange, Tonka-toy alike (all positive attributes IMO) Humber. It's exactly what I do but it's probably not healthy .
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:35   #19
Den
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I think you are already picturing yourself driving a big, orange, Tonka-toy alike (all positive attributes IMO) Humber. It's exactly what I do but it's probably not healthy .


Always wanted a big rib! Since I was in school and used to watch a local guy with a tornado and two 115 Yamaha 2stokes. My idea of heaven!! Been to look at a blue Excalibur too tho! Right boat, wrong engine! (Johnson)
__________________
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:48   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Bandit
Make: Ribtec 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 2-Stroke
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
I think your sensible to go and look at the Humber with the Yam, just be prepared to walk away even if it's what you do want but the deal isn't right.

If the tubes are that bad tell him and leave, if he wants to sell it he has to be realistic, and he might not want to loose you.

I like to be respectful and nice when there and negotiate afterwards via text messages, this takes all the emotion out of the deal.

Took me about three weeks to buy my current boat from 1st seeing it to taking it away.

This is the right time of year for the BUYER.

Keep us updated, on paper it is a nice engine.
__________________

__________________
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.