Old 03 March 2017, 04:06   #1

Town: Santa Barbara, CA
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Resurfacing hull

I am restoring a 1987 5.4 searider. everything is in good shape, the hull just needs bottom paint removed. It's peeling off in spots but I think I either need to pressure wash it off or use a sander. If I go the sanding route, can anyone recommend a grit to use? I want to remove the bottom paint and top layer of flow coat (or whatever it's painted with).

Once that is complete I'll have an idea of what is needed. Maybe fill some scratches and then redo the flow coat? I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated. Perhaps just sanding and polishing will be enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4105.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	118288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4104.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	118289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	118290  
Old 03 March 2017, 11:37   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I'd start with a pressure washer and then to for a solvent to get rid of it without abrasives if you can. With mine I used hammerite thinners and wiped the old anti-foul off with a rag. Sanding will lead to a lot of work, particularly if you aren't re-painting as you'll need to re-polish to get a decent finish again.

On the repair areas of my hull I started with 400 grit (where needed) then moved on to 800 then 1200, taking out the deeper scratches from the 800. Finally polished it with Farecla profile 300 cutting paste to remove the 1200 scratches. If you do sand, ,make sure you don't take off too much gel and end up having to flow coat.

Phil M
Old 03 March 2017, 12:17   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Klean Strip | Premium Stripper

Use this.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2017, 16:32   #4

Town: Santa Barbara, CA
Make: Avon Searider
Thanks Phil. I'll try the pressure washer first. Probably best to tapenoff the tubes where they meet the hull to avoid any damage to them?

Office888, thanks for the rec. I read the description and it states the following...

Do not use on linoleum, plastic, rubber, asphalt tile, fiberglass or other synthetics. Use over a small area because health and safety risks will increase dramatically when used over large areas.

I assume you have used the product with good results?
Old 03 March 2017, 17:15   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfront26 View Post
Thanks Phil. I'll try the pressure washer first. Probably best to tapenoff the tubes where they meet the hull to avoid any damage to them?

Office888, thanks for the rec. I read the description and it states the following...

Do not use on linoleum, plastic, rubber, asphalt tile, fiberglass or other synthetics. Use over a small area because health and safety risks will increase dramatically when used over large areas.

I assume you have used the product with good results?
It'll soften the resin if you leave it on for too long. Rinse well.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote