Old 20 May 2003, 12:15   #1

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Requirements for counties

Hi folks

Their has been many post on, about what is needed to be carried & want people carry in their contry.

Does anyone know of any site that lists the miminum paperwork & equipment required for craft visiting other countries ?.

Thanks Gary
Old 20 May 2003, 14:02   #2

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Well I don't know of any site, but fore Denmark that would be a boring site.

As long as it's your own vessel, and you are sailing for pleasure (Not being paid to do it). You don't need anything.

That's it Nothing......

This is the law, not the sensible thing.

Bring a lifevest, VHF, and maybe a GPS. But you normaly you will be able to see land on both sides all the time. Small country.

Regrads
Rene
Old 20 May 2003, 14:56   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Have a check with the RYA maybe MBY - they might guide you to minimum requirements or more importantly indicate countries where there are unusual or onerous requirements
Old 20 May 2003, 16:22   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
ICC (from the RYA)
Insurance,
VAT Receipt, (yes of course you kept that)
SSR Registration,
Your passport.

If you are trailing it abroad then off to the AA for advice (very helpful). They have a premium breakdown policy which I had whilst living in Germany @ £75 per year.

Pete
Old 20 May 2003, 17:36   #5

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Garygee which countries do u have in mind??
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2003, 18:08   #6

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Manos, If Gary is thinking the same as me, then Southern Ireland will probably be one place

I am watching this thread with a view to going over there sometime this summer, so am highly interested in the responses

-Alex
Old 20 May 2003, 18:19   #7

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
AlexB the only thing I can do is to give you this site and contact the club direct. I think that they will be able to help you.
http://www.kyc.ie/index.htm
Old 20 May 2003, 18:55   #8

Hi folks

I have tried the RYA with no luck.
I still find it hard to belive that visiting boats need to comply if not staying longer then X. But until I get told otherwise I need to assume thats the case.

I understand the need for common sence things and the list we carry should be well up their with the best (I hope). But as Manos has indicated some things which may or maynot be applicable for a RIB may well be required and hence catch you out.

In some cases it may just be having somthing different, such as alloy anchors are not recognised as a anchor in some counties, life floats, etc

The counties I am interested in are, Ireland, France, Netherlands,Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Iceland.

But prob no more than Ireland for this year

Regards Gary
Old 20 May 2003, 19:13   #9

Just something else that crossed my mind

WHy you don't call BSAC or look at
http://www.bsactravelclub.co.uk/reports/egyptlab1.htm
They always go diving in Southern Irland and they use RIBs.
They are the one who would know EXACTLY what you need.
Old 21 May 2003, 12:23   #10
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Oireland

I may be wrong but I don't think you need any paperwork for Eire but it's courtesy and good practice to let the Coastguard know of your arrival and don't forget to take your sense of humour.

They have this quaint little custom whereby the currency in use is always equal to the sterling pound. This wasn't so bad when they had the punt but it's a bit more painful with the euro.

Malahide marina, north of Dublin is a good place to visit. On filling our tanks there a fella asked where we had come from. "Wales" I replied. "No way" he said with a grin on his face, "No way have youse come in dat little rubber tingy. De Oirish sea is designed to keep youse English feckers out."

He asked if we had anywhere to stay, which we hadn't so with typical Irish generosity, he phoned his mother to see if she could accomodate three people dressed all in rubber. This must be the norm in Eire because within an hour, we were being fed steak and chips and were then shown a good night on the town. Brill place! Brill people!

DM
Old 21 May 2003, 12:34   #11

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Re: Oireland

Quote:
Originally posted by davidmanning
Brill place! Brill people!

DM
Could not agree more, the few times I have been to Ireland I have experienced the nicest hospitality and people. You'll never, never know, if you never never go
Old 21 May 2003, 14:48   #12

Town: Bandon
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
If you are visiting Ireland, excluding common sense items i.e. lifejackets, flares, etc., would suggest you bring a copy of your marine insurance policy, VHF certificate/license, RYA Course Certificates (Level 1, 2 Powerboating, Day Skipper etc.), and ID. You may be stopped by Customs and Excise or Fisheries Protection if you happen to be observed behaving in a suspicious manner !

If you are planning a trip to the south coast (Cork) email me, perhaps I can advise on points of interest worth visiting.

Old 21 May 2003, 18:24   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Ireland

I agree wholeheartedly with DM and Charles. The nicest, frendliest folk you could hope to meet.

It's just a puzzle to me why the bu**ers fight each other.

JW.
Old 22 May 2003, 07:18   #14

Hi Kram

Thats a interesting point, the ICC/Powerboat Level 1/2, had boats for over 20 years, yachts, power boats, RIB's,many long trips, hundreds of hours as skipper etc but never got any formal qualifications.

If i need a ICC looks like I am going to have to get some soon

Dave(Wavelength) I assume you can help here
Will have to have a chat with you if you can.

I assume that the powerboat level 2 is the minumum qualification to get a ICC?.

Regards Gary
Old 22 May 2003, 07:45   #15

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
ICC/Level 2

Gary,
The RYA National Powerboat certificate (Level 2) is probably the best way for you to go about getting the ICC for power.
The majority of my pupils apply for the ICC straight after gaining the qualification. I give them an ICC form with their Level 2 log books and certificate at the end of the course and help them to fill it in there and then.
I am finding quite a few customers are having to get the Level 2 to comply with insurance requirements.
It is possible to do an ICC direct assessment without doing any other course but you might as well do the Level 2 and then get the ICC without any other test or assessments and end up with 2 certificates.
On the back of the ICC form there is a list of acceptable evidence of competence for botht the power and sail ICC's. These range from the Level 2 powerboat, helmsman's cert, day/coastal skipper and yachtmaster, local authority boatman's licence etc.

if you need any more help please let me know.
Old 23 May 2003, 17:28   #16
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Been doing some research...

Requirements for sailing abroad (France)

Ships Documents

Ship’s Radio Licence International Radio Regulations say that each vessel owned or operated by a UK Citizen or UK Registered, which has a radio onboard, must have a valid Ships Radio Licence.

Marine Insurance You must carry you marine insurance cover note with you as many European countries will ask for evidence of insurance cover. It is important to check the territorial limits of your cover before undertaking any trip, as you may need to extend the cruising limits. Some countries also require a translation of the cover note which your insurance broker should be able to provide.

Proof of VAT paid Proof of VAT paid may be required by some EU custom officials.

Registration The vessel must be registered on either Part I or Part III (SSR) of the register of British Shipping and have on board the original registration document, photocopies are not acceptable.

Please remember that The Merchant Shipping Acts state that all vessels must wear their proper national colours when entering or leaving a foreign port. Even if the Red Ensign is not being worn, it should be carried on board at all times. When in foreign ports it is also customary to fly the maritime flag of the country being visited. A courtesy Ensign is a smaller version of a normal Ensign. It should be flown in the second most senior position on board.

Personal Documents

ICC Skippers of British registered boats do not require an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) when cruising in French coastal waters. However, if you are planning on going inland then you must have your ICC with your CEVNI inland endorsement.

Passport Every crew member on board requires a passport.

VHF Operators Cert. If you have a radio and accompanying ships licence one crew member must have a valid VHF Maritime Operators Certificate.

Got a little bored today (Sources: RYA and various other sites)
Old 23 May 2003, 17:33   #17

Danier very accurate info Sir!!
Old 23 May 2003, 18:21   #18

Thanks Daniel thats great,

That is just what I have been looking for, guess you just a better cyber surffer the me

I have a few things to do now, need to sort our SSR and even though I dont need it think I will try and sort out a ICC in case other countries need it
(Excuse to spend more time on the boat), "Sorry darling wife, of course I dont want to go but the EU says I must have a ICC and spending lots of time afloat is the only way to get it"
Think I will get away with that one ??.

Anyway thanks everyone, didnt want to fall foul on our first abroard.

Regards Gary
Old 23 May 2003, 19:25   #19

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Hi Gary
No probs, we'll sort it when you eventually (!) arrive in port. Level 2 coastal will give you the ICC for free if you join the RYA or around £30 if you're not. Away for 7 days from midweek, I'll message you when I get back. Looked at my ICC this week cos I need it in a hurry and found it had expired. Sent the form wednesday, ICC back here today Friday. It did need a phone call before I sent it but still bloody efficient!
Dave M
Old 23 May 2003, 19:43   #20

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
ICC
a word of warning. I was phoned last year by the rya cos a brit had phoned them from spain to say he had been arrested and had his boat impounded. They let him out but would not let him have his boat back until he produced his ICC. The reason the rya had phoned was cos he said he had done a course with us. His story to the spanish police was that they had come alongside so hard they had washed his paperwork over the side (oh yeah-of course they did! I'd arrest him with a story like that). The RYA would not issue the ICC without sight of his level 2 without my OK on it. Of all the people I have ever had on a course I would have put money on it being him cos he was that sort of person. But the moral of the story is always take the bits of paper - and dont leave them laying on the deck where a spanish copper can swill them overboard!