Old 22 November 2016, 13:00   #21

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
The boat was previously owned by a sail maker - Peter Eyre of Peter Eyre Sails and Covers (02380 433354) and he made the cover.

Shaft length is generally the vertical distance from the top of the transom where the outboard hooks on to the underside of the transom where it joins the hull.

If you Google it, there are some hopefully self explanatory pictures.
Old 22 November 2016, 13:08   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

If you wanted a camper van would you buy an ex ambulance?
Yup, if you're handy with tools.

I think your Atlantic will prove to be a good buy, especially if you're going to use it around the Sound of Sleat and, as someone who has needed a second engine in poor sea conditions, I reckon a small wing engine is close to a waste of time. You'll find that most folk who tell you how good a set up it is have never actually used them in anything other than safe water.

Go for two engines, no doubt about it in my mind. Be aware though that running on one engine will not give you half power because one engine only will be over propped for the boat weight. (If you're not sure what I mean by this, do some searches on ribnet, it's been discussed a number of times.) However, you will be able to keep going, get yourself away from danger and still have proper control of your boat at all times.

As Tim M has said, just be sure to keep your fuel system good and have two batteries and you'll be fine. If you can service your engines yourself the extra cost of ownership will be negligible.

As to how much power you need - that simply depends on how fast you want to travel. Two engines around the 100hp each would make a good rig. 2 x 150hp would work and be quick but more than you would need and the extra weight on the stern will make your boat too heavy at the rear - OK once up and running but a pig at displacement speed in big water. Try leaving Mallaig harbour with a big north wind blowing and you'll know what I mean.

Choosing between two engines of similar power - always go for the one which is the biggest cubic capacity engine, although the rated maximum power is the same the larger engine will have more power at lower revs and it will be much more pleasurable to drive. Also, the boat will be better on one engine because of this.

I've found getting up on the plane with two engines is mostly easier than with one equivalent engine because you'll be running finer pitch props and also have a greater prop area. For a time, I ran three 30hp outboards on a 6.5mt rib, they were replaced by one 150hp engine and the boat was noticeably slower off the mark.

Good luck with it, it'll be good, I'm sure!
Old 22 November 2016, 13:48   #23

Town: Kent and Suffolk UK
Boat name: AlphaFox
Make: Atlantic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 O/B Suzuki DF90ATL
MMSI: 232012141
JW, thanks you - this is invaluable advice. Exactly what I was hoping for when I started this tread.

Although I am somewhat stumbling around in the dark here I did feel a couple of Yamaha 150's at 480 lbs (dry) each on this boat would simply be too much weight wise. I note the 115's are over 100 lb's less each which seems more sensible.

thanks again.

Tags
rib