Old 03 April 2019, 22:08   #1

Town: Ashford middx
Boat name: Gale
Make: Ribtec 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp 4stroke
Replacing floor

Hi looking to replace the decking on my Ribtec 655 and would appreciate any pointers. Basically I’ve repaired a couple of small splits in the floor previously and have noticed the rear,Stern of the boat about 18 inches forward from the transom is quite spongy as if the original support underneath between the hull and between the deck has rotted or just simply worn away. I’m thinking 18mm marine ply then obviously fibreglass joining back to original floor where it becomes solid, so I just replace this spongy damaged area. Luckily for me a friend of mine use to work as a Fibreglass laminater so hes going to be taking care of that side. But any tips advice, especially on the structural side i.e the ply decking,stringers strengthening or even heard some people mentioned that some decks are laid on foam??
As I said any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks matt
Old 10 April 2019, 20:04   #2

Hi again, would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on this before tomorrow as I’ve removed deck and will be replacing most of the rear stringers as the timber in them has rotted. Do these have be replaced with marine ply or is fill an fix foam ok. The fibreglass is still there and ok i will just be re glassing up the side and over the top so water can not penetrate again. Don’t want to use marine ply if not nessecary as it’s nearly £80 a sheet for 8x4 18 mm.
Old 10 April 2019, 20:06   #3

Would forward some pics of the work so far but haven’t got a clue how to do it. Not good with modern technology.
Old 10 April 2019, 20:08   #4

Old 10 April 2019, 20:29   #5

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Some pictures would be good. They are pretty strong boats so replace like for like. If it’s 10mm ply use 10mm, 18mm then 18mm. An exploritary hole might help. Cut it the size of a hatch just in case you were mistaken.

I don’t know the construction of your boat but a wet deck might have transferred to the stringers and it’s still common practice to butt the untreated stringers into the transom and glass over them all. So you might be faced with a whole tear down.

If you find the deck is the isolated issue.p and it’s a small area, Cut it out until sound, replace like for like with ply glassed both sides, bond it down on binding paste or wet csm possibly, glass all over and job done. Ok it is a scary job really.

Cutting is the only way to find out. I used to grind damage out, now I try to use a small circular saw, with a significant taper to the cut. Set depth, be mindful of where the hull is and cut it out. The advantage of an angled cut is when you cut a replacement part the same size with same taper. It should fit back in the hole without falling through, handy if you don’t have access to the back side
Old 11 April 2019, 22:02   #6

Thanks haven’t actually started Fibreglassing yet as still cutting out an grinding. Would post some pics but still can’t work out how to do it. ��