Old 25 July 2009, 22:29   #1

Town: San Luis Obispo, CA
Boat name: KiteRunner
Make: Rayglass protector
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 150 outboard
repair question

I've got some repair to do after the bow got stuffed into the back of a 10-12 ft wave with a friend at the wheel

Fortunately, the self bailing deck and bow could keep up with the water coming on board make the 12 mile run back to shore.

The Hypalon tape tore from the tip of the bow to 30% down each side and bent the hand rails on the inside of the bow tube inward from the front post. It seems like this should be a pretty easy repair but I wanted to know if anyone has done a repair like this before themselves.

The other question I have is about the strength of Hypalon over time. A full re-tube is very expensive but do people replace the seam between the boat and the tube to get more life out of the tubes before a full-tube? Is this type of failure typical with Hypalon past it's prime? Is there a good way to evaluate the strength the tube material on a used boat?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 25 July 2009, 23:09   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
There are many Avon RIBs around that have lasted 20 years or more - but then they are made in Wales!!!

Seriously though the Protector is a heavy boat so it must have been quite an impact to do that - or else they aren't as good as we all think?

Anyway sounds like a straight forward repair - Chirs or Paul should come along with the experts opinion though!!!
Old 26 July 2009, 00:01   #3

One other detail is the tubes on the boat are not protector tubes. The previous owner re-tubed with tubes that say 'Curt C'. They are larger diameter tube than the stock tubes from Protector/Rayglass.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why Protector uses a smaller diameter tube.
Old 26 July 2009, 00:07   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If the hypalon failed by tearing then the gluing isn't an issue so when replacing it cut your new strips diagonally from the roll so the fabric weave is criss-cross within the hypalon. It's really difficult to tear a fabric diagonally.
Old 27 July 2009, 02:06   #5

Thanks for the tip JW.

How many layers and thickness do you recommend? It looks like there were three layers, two on the outside and one on the inside.
Old 27 July 2009, 10:16   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojava View Post
Thanks for the tip JW.

How many layers and thickness do you recommend? It looks like there were three layers, two on the outside and one on the inside.
Personally, I would do 3 layers but I'd be putting wider pieces and reinforcing in critical areas. Also make sure there are radiuses on the fibreglass corners so as not to concentrate the tearing stress there. Protect vulnerable areas so they do not suffer damage from wear and tear at the quayside - ropes, pontoons etc. A tear which is started will continue with less force than it takes to initiate the tear in the first place so keep the joint in good condition.
Old 28 July 2009, 02:46   #7

The comment on a tear jogged my memory.

I had forgotten I had a small 2-3 inch tear in the nose when I bought the boat right at the tip just under the tube. That may have grown during the day and when we hit the big wave it was all over.

A good lesson I'll remember not to let small tears go unaddressed, especially prior to trips out to the deep water.

Live and learn.