Old 08 October 2022, 09:57   #1

Removing oil spots from Rib

My nice brand new Rib is now covered in speckles of oil thanks to leaving it in the safe care of the dry stack who said it might have come from the oil refinery a mile away (I don’t buy that☹️).

Any suggestions on the best cleaning product to remove the oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B513C4F6-BD05-42D4-A387-41AD3DC8D24D.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	141646  
Old 08 October 2022, 10:26   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Removing oil spots from Rib

Neat TFR
Are you sure it’s oil & not mould?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2022, 11:02   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Looks like soot..... I'm sure people will recommend all sorts of expensive chemicals but to be honest I would try hot soapy water with fairy liquid.....give s small patch a try fairy is ideal as being a detergent lifts oil yet is still mild.
Old 08 October 2022, 11:42   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely isn’t mould because the rib was brand new (2 or 3 weeks old). It feels like oil when you run your finger over it and even the guys at the dry stack thought it was oil. The problem was that for some unknown reason they left it sitting on the ground for 11 days instead of putting it back on the rack after I used it, and I’m assuming they were working on a boat next to it that caused it?

I will give the fairy liquid a try and see if that does the job. One of the guys at the dry stack suggested using a scouring pad, but I’ve no plans to use that on it.
Old 08 October 2022, 12:16   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatguy View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely isn’t mould because the rib was brand new (2 or 3 weeks old). It feels like oil when you run your finger over it and even the guys at the dry stack thought it was oil. The problem was that for some unknown reason they left it sitting on the ground for 11 days instead of putting it back on the rack after I used it, and I’m assuming they were working on a boat next to it that caused it?

I will give the fairy liquid a try and see if that does the job. One of the guys at the dry stack suggested using a scouring pad, but I’ve no plans to use that on it.

Is it Hypalon or PVC?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 08 October 2022, 12:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Is it Hypalon or PVC?
It’s PVC
Old 08 October 2022, 13:08   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
It could be from the oil refinery. If the wind was blowing in the right direction when the flare stack was burning it could have left sooty, oily, carbon deposits.
My sister lives 4 miles from an oil refinery and she has to clean window frames, car, patio furniture at least 3 - 4 times a year. Everytime it happens she claims from the refinery.
All she uses is neat washing-up liquid and rinses off with clean water.
Old 08 October 2022, 13:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
It could be from the oil refinery. If the wind was blowing in the right direction when the flare stack was burning it could have left sooty, oily, carbon deposits.
My sister lives 4 miles from an oil refinery and she has to clean window frames, car, patio furniture at least 3 - 4 times a year. Everytime it happens she claims from the refinery.
All she uses is neat washing-up liquid and rinses off with clean water.
Thanks Steve, That is crazy that it travels so far away and not exactly good for people having to breath it in☹️. You might be right that the oil refinery caused it but I still have my doubts. That said what ever caused it I have to clean it off and move on😀.

I did order a made to measure cover for the rib when I bought it but I’m still waiting for it to be delivered, so that will hopefully prevent it happening again (as well the rib being put back on the rack and not left on the ground for a week and a half).
Old 08 October 2022, 15:42   #9

Length: 10m +
I would try - Bostik M501 Thinners
Old 08 October 2022, 16:28   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue jug View Post
I would try - Bostik M501 Thinners

Personally I’d start off gently before working up to the hard stuff. Thinners/solvents in the wrong hands can make a bad situation worse.
Old 08 October 2022, 19:42   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Maybe try the bio washing powder solution mixed with wallpaper paste to hold it on the surface for an hour or two ,then spomge and rinse
Old 08 October 2022, 19:44   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
My old boat cover left the inner coating on my tubes I found the pvc window frame cleaner perfect
Old 16 October 2022, 21:07   #13

I managed to get the oil spots out. I used fairy liquid and that helped a little but the cleaner I got from the rib store removed the spots quite easily. Unfortunately I discovered a new stain and I spent ages going over it time and time again with neat fairy liquid and rib cleaner and it did improve it a little but I couldn’t get it any better than shown in the picture (i used the scouring pad I got with the rib cleaner). I don’t know what caused the stain (I didn’t do it), but any suggestions of what might remove it would be appreciated?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8832E29-983B-42EE-A70D-42F01F44EBFD.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	141710  
Old 17 October 2022, 07:00   #14

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Fairy power spray and a, magic sponge eraser always, worked for me
Old 17 October 2022, 13:15   #15

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatguy View Post
I managed to get the oil spots out. I used fairy liquid and that helped a little but the cleaner I got from the rib store removed the spots quite easily. Unfortunately I discovered a new stain and I spent ages going over it time and time again with neat fairy liquid and rib cleaner and it did improve it a little but I couldn’t get it any better than shown in the picture (i used the scouring pad I got with the rib cleaner). I don’t know what caused the stain (I didn’t do it), but any suggestions of what might remove it would be appreciated?
I'm glad you got most of that soot off but with regards to your other stain I wouldn't worry. I understand wanting to look after your kit and I do understand your frustration with regards to the storage facility possibly being responsible. I rebuilt my Rib and she looked brand new but during the season I have picked up a scuff on the rubbing strake and a couple of chips out of the hull....and at first I was pretty upset but then I thought to myself.....what do I want out of this hobby of ours...a noce looking boat that looks like it's kept in a glass case or do I expect it will get marks and just enjoy it....I opted for the latter.
The decision is yours.....my friend had a pair of roller skates as kids and he loved them so much that he didnt dare use them....so they sat on his shelf....when he did realise that the rest of his pal's were having fun on theirs he went to put them on only to find he had outgrown them (true story) .
Enjoy your Rib my friend.
Old 17 October 2022, 20:07   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Fairy power spray and a, magic sponge eraser always, worked for me
Thanks for the advice I will buy both items and give it a go.
Old 17 October 2022, 20:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
I'm glad you got most of that soot off but with regards to your other stain I wouldn't worry. I understand wanting to look after your kit and I do understand your frustration with regards to the storage facility possibly being responsible. I rebuilt my Rib and she looked brand new but during the season I have picked up a scuff on the rubbing strake and a couple of chips out of the hull....and at first I was pretty upset but then I thought to myself.....what do I want out of this hobby of ours...a noce looking boat that looks like it's kept in a glass case or do I expect it will get marks and just enjoy it....I opted for the latter.
The decision is yours.....my friend had a pair of roller skates as kids and he loved them so much that he didnt dare use them....so they sat on his shelf....when he did realise that the rest of his pal's were having fun on theirs he went to put them on only to find he had outgrown them (true story) .
Enjoy your Rib my friend.
I’m not upset (no sleep lost as yet&#128512 but understandably I’m not too impressed as I only recently bought it brand new and I didn’t cause the mark/stain, but I will consider keeping it on a trailer at home when my 12 month dry stack contract is up, because if I cause the damage/marks then fair enough, but when I pay a few grand to have the rib supposedly looked after it does annoy me when I find more marks/stains on it that I haven’t caused. Apart from buying the cleaning products to remove the oil/soot (that I didn’t cause) I spent a 5 hours return journey to go and clean the rib yesterday (the M3 was a nightmare).

Tags
rib