Old 14 April 2019, 20:58   #1

Length: 3m +
Removing Glue from hypalon

Last summer I was forced to re-glue a Weaver davit pad onto my 3m hypalon mercury rib in far less than ideal conditions. It was basically raining and I had to leave the boat out in the sun while it cured to boot. The instructions were clear that you should only use the glue in dry conditions below a certain relative humidity level and keep it out of the sun while curing. But, I was in somewhat dire straights and had to do it in these conditions. Needless to say, the glue joint was a disaster and it's time to fix it correctly (although it did successfully serve its purpose and get me through the season).

I have successfully removed the Weaver pad from the tube and now I'm left looking at an ugly mess of glue on the tube. I have done some searching and found some good info (I think), but I thought I'd pose the question specific to my application and see what people thought was the best approach. The glue was 2 part, designed for hypalon (poly marine, I think?).
Old 14 April 2019, 21:21   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The glue even when cured will soften with thinners applied with a soaked rag held on the affected area its not instant but will soften and wash off the glue eventualy.
The area under the replacement patch can be scrubbed with a scotchbright pad
But the scotchbright will scratch the area that will be seen so best stick to the rag on anywhere you want to remove glue where it will be seen
Old 14 April 2019, 22:15   #3

thanks for the reply.

sounds like a plan...but wondering what the solvent of choice is? I have some acetone on hand and in some initial testing, it does not seem to touch this cured glue (rag left on for ~30 minutes). This glue is seemingly tough stuff.

I have some naptha that I find super effective at removing most anything, but not sure it's safe on the hypalon?

Thanks
Old 14 April 2019, 22:43   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Do you plan to refit the pads or leave original condition? Two different solutions. MEK solvent , keep away from seams.
Old 14 April 2019, 22:56   #5

yes, will be immediately re-mounting davit pads to the same location. will be able to do so inside, protected from sunlight, water, and will be able to wait for low humidity this time.
Old 14 April 2019, 23:18   #6

Town: Ashford middx
Boat name: Gale
Make: Ribtec 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp 4stroke
If as you say re fixing you can gently sand off old glue by hand or even using a flappy wheel attached to a drill. Once glue is removed clean again with acetone and your ready for re gluing. Just be very gentle as you obviously only want to remove glue and slightly roughen Hypalon.
Old 03 July 2019, 13:43   #7

Town: campbell river
Make: Zodiac MK 2 GR
Length: 4m +
Use Toluene