Old 06 August 2013, 10:52   #1

Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Relocating fuel tank.

Hello,

I'm thinking for a winter project I would like to relocate my fuel tank.

Somewhere during it's life Jockey seats were installed on my Valiant 520 replacing the more leisure type benches.

As pointed out by a few people here the fuel tank however was seemingly not relocated and is just sort of plonked (albeit fastened down) behind the rear seat, this causes the boat to be quite rear end heavy.

I'm thinking of relocating it (getting a thinner longer one) to inside the rear jockey seat and running the hose through a hole.

Probably a simple enough operation of measuring the hole to get it through on top of the seat and fastening it down?

Would it be better to have it custom made? Or a red plastic eBay special?

Or...would I need to remove the rear jockey seat to fit it properly?

Basically I just don't know what I'm doing and want to know what you would do!
Old 06 August 2013, 11:47   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
can't tell from your pic, but is the space under the console and front jockey seat one big compartment? if it is I would try finding a tank to fit in there and mo d the weight as far forward as possible. if you can fasten tank down so much the better, unless you can find one that is such a good fit there's no chance of it moving. just make sure that its easy to get at the fillet neck or it will be a pain in the future!!
Old 06 August 2013, 11:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
can't tell from your pic, but is the space under the console and front jockey seat one big compartment? if it is I would try finding a tank to fit in there and mo d the weight as far forward as possible. if you can fasten tank down so much the better, unless you can find one that is such a good fit there's no chance of it moving. just make sure that its easy to get at the fillet neck or it will be a pain in the future!!
It is one big compartment, my concern with putting it in there is that's full of wiring and battery..and other such potentially sparky stuff! I my thinking was I didn't really want to fill that compartment with fuel vapour.
Old 06 August 2013, 12:00   #4

hmmmm ........ I was thinking along the lines that if you could take the console off you could fabricate a shelf for the battery above the tank, or if you had space relocate it behind the tank. Lots of boats run with fuel tank & battery next to each other. if you want to move it, you need to really start from scratch and work out best location for all the bits you need, otherwise it will be a wasted effort.
Old 06 August 2013, 12:02   #5
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
On my Ribcraft the under deck fuel tank is located below the console with all fuel tank piping leading into the console and water separator right next to the fuse board and other potentially sparky items. I think this is fairly standard of most Ribs with under tank configs. I also keep my 12l auxiliary fuel tank in there to keep the deck clear.

Maybe I'm a risk taker! but don't see a problem putting it in the console plus you will have a nicer balanced RIB.
Old 06 August 2013, 12:56   #6

Ok, thanks guys, worth considering that then.

I assumed it might be a hazard but you know what they say about assuming!
Old 06 August 2013, 14:00   #7

I guess it's more down to a smell of fuel rather than fumes caused by leaking fuel, maybe a good time to replace your fuel lines right back to the engine when you move the tank. if you want any advice on fuel lines speak to Tim ( Tim&Linda ) on here, he's just had fun changing his lines from his tank to twin ermintrudes via one way valves etc, worth it just for a laugh
Old 06 August 2013, 15:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
I guess it's more down to a smell of fuel rather than fumes caused by leaking fuel, maybe a good time to replace your fuel lines right back to the engine when you move the tank. if you want any advice on fuel lines speak to Tim ( Tim&Linda ) on here, he's just had fun changing his lines from his tank to twin ermintrudes via one way valves etc, worth it just for a laugh
Cheers, I probably would have to replace the lines to reach the engine...I think! I have a spacial awareness issue where in my head when I plan things they are completely different to reality!
Old 06 August 2013, 16:21   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
The relocation of the tank I feel is a worth while excerise based on the re- engineering of my valiant dr 490. that tank should fit under that console. I bet that tank was put in that position as the fuel line was too short. that rib should have under floor trunking.

tsm
Old 06 August 2013, 16:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
The relocation of the tank I feel is a worth while excerise based on the re- engineering of my valiant dr 490. that tank should fit under that console. I bet that tank was put in that position as the fuel line was too short. that rib should have under floor trunking.

tsm
Cheers. How would I get to that underfloor trunking?