Old 18 February 2010, 14:57   #1

Town: Kenmare
Boat name: Cailín Baire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Redbay Stormforce 8.4 Expedition

HI All,

I have been following the other thread on the Redbay 10 closely as I am considering a cabin rib.

I have spoken to Redbay directly and am very impressed with the spec and build.
I have also spoken to Excalibur about their new hard top cabin rib and it looks very nice.

I have being looking at many photo's of other Redbay 8.4m Expedition's and I can't help wondering why the bow looks so low in the water in comparison to their other boats.

Does anybody have any experience of this and if so how does it effect the handling and ride.

Would be interested in finding out the good and bad points of this boat before I place an order.
Old 18 February 2010, 15:53   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The Excalibur Concept looks interesting. Have you seen full plans for it yet?

I'm not sure that the Redbay Expedition actually sits much lower than the other 8.4s. For example, the Canopy boats look identical, so I don't think the cabin weight is having a great effect on the waterline. I suspect that the up-curving deck and high roofline makes the bow look lower, it's a very high cabin to "blend" into an 8.6 meter rib. Have a look at these pics, some I took, one from Redbay's website.

This has been a huge production run, they seem to launch one every eight weeks or so since mid 2005. I've spoken to a few owners and they seem very happy with the sea-keeping qualities (but then, they are biased ). I'd suggest taking a drive up and get a few hours out in one yourself before you part with €90k!

I've had a quick run in one with someone less restrained at the helm than myself - I was hugely impressed. They can be thrown about much like an open rib but smooth out the lumps as you'd expect from the 8m+ hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.4.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	49233   Click image for larger version

Name:	exped.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	49234   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 8.4.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	49235  
Old 18 February 2010, 16:00   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Considering the distance Paul Beaurain on here does in his, and the conditions he travels in, I'm sure it can't be an issue.

Nasher
Old 18 February 2010, 16:12   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Worth reading: Clicky (bit slow to load due to Flash stuff)
Old 18 February 2010, 16:15   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Considering the distance Paul Beaurain on here does in his, and the conditions he travels in, I'm sure it can't be an issue.

Nasher
Paul's is a wraparound not a hardtop.

Not sure what the difference is the the 750 - but I don't think Kevin Goulding thought the bow was that close to the water as he took a dive off it last year!
Old 18 February 2010, 16:32   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Ah yes, the 750-S. The Riviera Redbay
Old 18 February 2010, 16:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Excalibur Concept looks interesting. Have you seen full plans for it yet?

I'm not sure that the Redbay Expedition actually sits much lower than the other 8.4s. For example, the Canopy boats look identical, so I don't think the cabin weight is having a great effect on the waterline. I suspect that the up-curving deck and high roofline makes the bow look lower, it's a very high cabin to "blend" into an 8.6 meter rib. Have a look at these pics, some I took, one from Redbay's website.

This has been a huge production run, they seem to launch one every eight weeks or so since mid 2005. I've spoken to a few owners and they seem very happy with the sea-keeping qualities (but then, they are biased ). I'd suggest taking a drive up and get a few hours out in one yourself before you part with €90k!

I've had a quick run in one with someone less restrained at the helm than myself - I was hugely impressed. They can be thrown about much like an open rib but smooth out the lumps as you'd expect from the 8m+ hull.

Thanks Willk that is exactly the information I was looking for and that link is very informative.
I have seen the design for Excalibur's Hard Top on jpeg and it looks really well.
I spoke to Excalibur earlier in the week and they said that they have had lots of interest in the new boat.

Redbay said they expect circa 28knots cruising speed and 35knots flat out for their 285hp is this normal because the Gigha boat is only getting these speeds for their 315hp according to their site.

In comparison Excalibur said their 315hp are cruising at 34knots and flat out at 42knots.

Why would there be such a difference?

I have been invited to sea trial a new Excalibur this weekend but not sure yet if I can make it.
I also intend heading North to Redbay to take a closer look.

Both companies have stressed that I would need to order soon if I want a boat for this season.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 18 February 2010, 16:51   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín Baire View Post
Both companies have stressed that I would need to order soon if I want a boat for this season.
I may be completely wrong but I suspect most builders will tell you this... ...and whilst it may be true its a little bit like the MFI/DFS 'sale ends Monday' type pressure.
Old 18 February 2010, 17:03   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Redbay said they expect circa 28knots cruising speed and 35knots flat out for their 285hp is this normal because the Gigha boat is only getting these speeds for their 315hp according to their site.
Speeds are accurate for existing craft with these motors. Thalassa is loaded with kit. Those with 245hp get about 32kts at WOT. An extra 30hp doesn't get you much more top end at that size. Tom seems to favour the 285hp in them for that reason.

Quote:
In comparison Excalibur said their 315hp are cruising at 34knots and flat out at 42knots.

Why would there be such a difference?
They must be extrapolating this data from similar craft that they HAVE built. If correct, I guess it's down to weight and hull design.
Old 18 February 2010, 18:11   #10

Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
I have an Excalibur Wraparound with a Volvo 350hp and we cruise comfortable at 35knts and 44knts at wot.

The Excalibur hull with its high bow profile really lends itself to the short steep sea's that we have down here and can out preform the Redbay's in their own back yard.

Whereas the Redbay design is more suited to the longer wave pattern found along the North coast and Scottish Isles.

I have experience of both.

We have a friend who has a Redbay 8.4m Wraparound fitted with a 275hp who cant come close to us in bad weather and struggles to keep up with the 6m Excalibur boats.

This is why the Irish Coast Guard and Fisheries Patrol insist on Excalibur.

I'm not trying to knock the Redbay Expedition which is a lovely looking boat and has many happy customers, but try both designs before you order because there is a big difference which is why some ex Redbay people are now choosing Excalibur

Joe McCollam in Excalibur previously worked as a designer in Redbay and was responsible for many of their earlier designs.

I would be more than happy to show you around my boat if your ever in Cork.
Old 18 February 2010, 19:12   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
We have a friend who has a Redbay 8.4m Wraparound fitted with a 275hp who cant come close to us in bad weather and struggles to keep up with the 6m Excalibur boats.
Does she know how to work the trim properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
This is why the Irish Coast Guard and Fisheries Patrol insist on Excalibur.
And there was me thinking they had to go to Tender like all the other Public Authorities in the Republic...
Old 18 February 2010, 20:47   #12

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Does she know how to work the trim properly?

And there was me thinking they had to go to Tender like all the other Public Authorities in the Republic...
HMCG have to tender, thats why most CG vehicles are all different makes and shades of blue/grey!
Old 19 February 2010, 08:58   #13

Thanks everybody for your valued comments.

Obviously alot of thought needs to be put into a new boat but this has raised serious questions for me.

The new cabin design is on Excaliburs home page and looks very sleek www.ribs.ie
But I must admit this time yesterday l was leaning towards Redbay and now I feel that I am back to square one.

I suppose that this is the problem with choice's and peoples experience's good and bad.

If only i could have a run in both a Redbay and Excalibur here in Kerry then it would be possible to compare like with like.

This is proving harder than I thought.

Thanks again everybody.
Old 19 February 2010, 15:08   #14

Town: cork
Make: Excalibur
Engine: Inboard
Excalibur v's Redbay

Hi All

just following this thread and decided to give my view! I have have been Ribbing for quite a number of years now, I have have had a wide range of different Ribs in my posession, like Humber, Delta, Cobra and "Lencrap" and I currently have a 9m Excalibur and may i add that this is my 3rd Excalibur! as I mentioned, I have covered alot of distance in Ribs, like around Britain, around Ireland, and to the Scilly Isles a few times, I have travelled also in large groups such as the Kinsale to Aberystwyth Rib Run, and I have found that the Excalibur has always travelled effortlessly through the rough Seas, this in my opinion is down to the High Bow and deep "V" profile, Don't get me wrong, I also think that Redbay build a fine craft! but just wouldn't be my cup of Tea as in "my opinion" they seem to run Bow down and seem to have difficulty in raising same! they have a nice finish, and are pleasing to the eye, before i bought my first Excalibur I travelled to the North to Sea trial a Redbay, I thought it was quite Nice, but when I then had the Sea Trial in the Excalibur, I must say it won me over in everyway! I currently have an enquiry in for the New Cabin version as it looks the Bizz!
We all love our Ribs lads and I suppose we are all guilty of being biased with our own Crafts!
I hope this answers a few of your questions Cailin Baire!
Here's wishing you all a safe and pleasant new Ribbing Season!
Old 19 February 2010, 16:04   #15

Town: North East Scotland
Boat name: Redbay 10
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin Yam inb 165hp
Cailín Baire Im sure each of the rib manufacturers will welcome you with open arms and demo the capabilities of each boat. But it really comes down to what you want from your rib and matching those expectations with what you want to spend.

Its like buying a car, only more expensive!
Old 19 February 2010, 20:20   #16

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
so you have my boat! give us a rundown
Old 19 February 2010, 20:24   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
so you have my boat! give us a rundown
s'funny that, he has DonegalDan's boat too
Old 19 February 2010, 21:20   #18

Once I have a few hours on her, i will gladly give you the rundown. She getting some extras put on at present and then shes bound for the east coast of Scotland for the "Summer!" happy to take you for a spin if your up my way.
Old 19 February 2010, 21:27   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish diver View Post
She getting some extras put on at present and then shes bound for the east coast of Scotland for the "Summer!"
You could take D-D on the Delivery Run - he's done that trip a few times now - once on the helm of a Tyne Class. He's all ticketed up and runs on Tea and Wagon-Wheels!
Old 19 February 2010, 21:31   #20

......He would need to have his Whisky tastin' ticket also.