Old 01 March 2004, 13:02   #1

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Redbay 11m Problems

I have been watching this thread with interest/concern and like has been said before we all know the manufacturer concerned even if they have not been directly named....on this thread anyway
I will put over another side to the manufacturer which to be honest is the way that I had heard they were.
I have just brought back to Scotland my second boat manufactured by them that I had bought from a private seller and had delivered to them for some work to be carried out prior to me collecting it at the weekend.
I had never seen the boat and arranged for transport to their yard. The boat arrived last Tuesday and they called to say that the boat was there and in very good condition and that they would have her ready for me too collect at the weekend.

We arrived at thier yard on Saturday morning after being collected at the airport (by a taxi arranged by them). The first thing that I noticed was that the MD was down on his knees busy giving the boat a very good clean. He greeted us along with his Salesman/right hand man and apoligised that the boat had not been finished i.e cleaned prior to our arrival. He then asked if we had had breakfast and gave us his car and direction to a cafe to go and have some, by the time we have had our brakfast the boat would be cleaned and fueled.
True to his word when we arrived back...stuffed after a great breakfast the boat was ready.
We had a look at the many boats that were there and of the boats being moulded, the quality was very very good with the moulding area being spotless, I was very interesting to actually see what is under you.
I noticed that my boat did not have any showers fitted to the legs, I am a firm beliver in the cooler the leg is, to a degree, the better. I asked them if they sould send me a set over for me to fit at a later date, they did one better and fitted a set there and then.

All the work requested had been carried out and no mess left. Now the fun begins (1000 Hrs), they launched the boat and we went on sea trials and a bit of teaching for me as I am used to boats with tubes all around.
Port engine starts to over heat , slacken of the speed, engine cools down . Back to pier and check the usual suspects with the MD, Salesman and A N Other, strainer clear, impeller new, thermostat okay, right remove thermostat and try again.......over heat on full revs .
Okay intake pipe off....very little water....lift boat out.
Know the trailer that my boat was on is away so MD launches his boat so that I can use the trailer. Boat out and back to yard MD tells me that if he cannot get it sorted then he will arrange for accomodation for us and get his mechanic to work on it till its ready, all night if nessesary to allow us to sail on Sunday.
So its leg off, nothing blocking, back flush intake pipe no water
After much rodding, flushing and blowing with compressed air a mussel pops out . Time to try back flushing again.....nothing like what there should be, back to the airline, another mussel then yee ha full water backflow
Build everything back together relaunch and go, everything fine.
Salesman jumps in with us and we start to head across the Channel. Salesman transfered to MDs' boat after a good run. We head home and stop overnight in a fine hotel and get pished after the stressful day

I know that I've blabbered on a bit, but my point is this, I deal alot with companied in the construction machinery service, alot with marine companies (partner runs a charter business) and I have never recieved better service, the MD and his team could not do enough to help me, when they could have easily adopted the attitude of many companies and said that they could not help until Monday etc.
Yes I have had one of their boats before, but again I did not buy it from them, I had never met any of them before Saturday and yet when I finally left there at 1500hrs I had no doubt in my mind that they are a very proffesional operation who are extremely customer focus and will pull out all the stops to help you.

All the time that I was there there were owners coming and going and stopping to chat and the whole place had a good atmosphere about it.

Just another side to the coin.

Drew

PS I have no connection whatsoever with this company other than being an extremely happy customer.
Old 01 March 2004, 14:01   #2

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
me jumping too

I can onyy say i have never found Tom, Gary and the team any different.

They are really nice people to deal with.
I see it from the other side as they are my customer.

I have customers who are Redbay customer and never have anything but praise for them.

Hence my reason for thinking that if the 11m problem was in fact a Redbay that there was far more to it than we had seen in the e-mails. Sorry RHM, no acusation just how it looked from my dealings and time soent with this company.

Hey might not even be them

Best regards
Old 02 March 2004, 12:16   #3

Oh Well back to the "Norm"

After being spoilt by the good service recieved over the weekend I telephoned a major marine consumables supplier today to get new seals for a stern tube greaser that I had bought from them 2 years ago for the charter boat.
Fourtunatly us rib owners don't need these but for those who don't know its basically a container that you fill with grease and screw down a thing that pushes grease through pipes and greases the stern tube.
Supplier says "we dont sell the seals only the greasers and we have a new one here for £412 +VAT"
Oh well off to get a hydraulic ram seal and a stanley knife

Drew

Ps I was also looking for black fenders, that right they don't do fenders any more either any ideas??
Old 02 March 2004, 12:24   #4
Ian

Town: Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Pro Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250hp 4/
Re: Oh Well back to the "Norm"

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Gee
Ps I was also looking for black fenders, that right they don't do fenders any more either any ideas??
Andy, PM sent
Old 02 March 2004, 12:39   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Re: Re: Oh Well back to the "Norm"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Andy, PM sent
Ian, you are a secretive bugger - ever thought of applying for MI5, I beleive they're recruiting at the moment !
Old 02 March 2004, 15:20   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Black fenders, used to get them from a scrap yard, normally called tyres

Pete
Old 02 March 2004, 16:32   #7
Ian

Town: Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Pro Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250hp 4/
Re: Re: Re: Oh Well back to the "Norm"

Quote:
Originally posted by MeMe
Ian, you are a secretive bugger - ever thought of applying for MI5, I beleive they're recruiting at the moment !
I have asked you in the past, now I am instructing you, not to reveal my occupation

I sent him a PM with a name who could refer him to a supplier of black fenders. Just thought it better to send a PM than post his name here.

Talking of secretive, no one is telling me where my engine is!
Old 03 March 2004, 06:38   #8

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
..don't get paranoid...it ain't just you they're keeping "in the dark"
Old 03 March 2004, 08:01   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
Black fenders, used to get them from a scrap yard, normally called tyres

Pete
Perfect for the fishin' boats, but not too good for the Tubes, I find the wire keeps puncturing them
Old 03 March 2004, 08:47   #10

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Re: Oh Well back to the "Norm"

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Gee
I was also looking for black fenders, that right they don't do fenders any more either any ideas??
have a look at www.compass24.com they do black fenders and at a reasonable price

Andre
Old 03 March 2004, 11:37   #11

Thanks Andre, ordered some today
Cheers