Old 10 February 2010, 14:55   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Red Bay 10m Stormforce

Does any one on here know the boat advertised on the redbay site? It seems to have been on sale for a long time but looks like a tidy vessel.

Just wondered if there are any obvious downers before I contact them
Old 10 February 2010, 16:43   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Does any one on here know the boat advertised on the redbay site? It seems to have been on sale for a long time but looks like a tidy vessel.

Just wondered if there are any obvious downers before I contact them
I have had a good nosey around Redbay 10. I know a little about her.
She is a 9.1m, but confusingly named "Redbay 10". She is very clean, currently in the yard at Redbay with a prop off. The owner has a serious back problem and has had to give up ribbing. She hasn't seen much action for the last couple of years. She can't be a particularly fast boat but is a true long distance, all weather rib. The asking seems a bit optimistic.
Old 10 February 2010, 17:28   #3

thanks for that willk

speed per se is not prime- the ability to cruise long range is more important.

as far as price is concerned I will have to research but it seems quite hard to find meaningful comparisons
Old 10 February 2010, 17:42   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Well she's four next month, so the years are adding up, depreciation wise. A lot of second hand redbays are selling into Scandanavia, so the market may be somewhat distorted. In her favour, her owner seems to be a serious boater (so well specced and maintained), she has a very tasty cruising cover for the deck and she has twin diesels, twin tanks etc. The hours should be low as stated.
Old 10 February 2010, 19:31   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Does it have wipers ? ( for the screen ). I've not done much closed cabin boating - but how do you see out in the conditions I am sure it is designed and able to cope with ?
Old 10 February 2010, 20:08   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Obviously not in the original spec (website photos) but I don't know if they were fitted later. It's a good question though, quite a number of the cabin ribs don't fit them, some do. A few of the owners I've asked have said that they don't feel the need for them and that they tend to give jip. Some owners put a spray on the screen that helps it clear (it must lower the surface tension of the water?)

In either case, she's sat at the Factory so I'd imagine a wiper or two wouldn't break the deal
Old 10 February 2010, 20:30   #7
Boo

Town: West Coast/Clyde
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Wrapround
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
cant add much to what Willk has said about this boat, but have seen it many times at Redbay and admired it many times when I am over there for a service etc.

Think price is at the top end however a few months ago it was asking £90K on the website, so it has been reduced quite a bit.
Old 10 February 2010, 20:40   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
but have seen it many times at Redbay and admired it many times when I am over there for a service etc.
I'm always impressed with the number of Redbay owners who make the passage to Cushendall from Scotland and the rest of the UK for servicing. My own wee lady was based on Arran originally and was back every year (by sea) for her service. A testimony to the boats, the skippers and the service!

BTW, Cameo - nice rib
Old 10 February 2010, 21:01   #9

I noticed the price reduction- I have been looking at this boat for a number of months

I am looking for a cabin/cuddy (not of the Cobra type solitary) and diesel; assume I was willing to splash £75k what springs to mind?
Old 10 February 2010, 21:56   #10
RIBnet Supporter

I dunno!

To assist with your price comparison, I do know that a new Expedition 8.4, single 285hp, trailer is about £80k incl. VAT, electronics extra. The Expedition is 8.6m LOA, and probably seats as many or more than Redbay 10 (I don't think she had side benches in the Cabin???) and does about 35 knots. I'd guess that Redbay 10 is not towable. The Expeditions are, if you take the anchor out

So I'd be wondering about the £75k... other than the attraction of the second motor, which is a major plus, until servicing time

If I was you - I'd hop on a cheapie flight and test drive both of them
Old 11 February 2010, 00:05   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
A wee comment on wipers if I may butt in. A boat without wipers can be driven in the same way you might drive a car without wipers. Some folk seem to accept it as ok, IMHO it's crap. Plastic screens scratch very easily when fitted with a wiper. Rain-ex is a water dispersing spray for screens. It does work but it kinda relies on the wind to blow the beads off.
Old 11 February 2010, 08:31   #12
Boo

Town: West Coast/Clyde
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Wrapround
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
I agree with JW. You would be insane to put a wiper on a Lexan/plastic screen. I carry bottles of water so that we can always wash the screen down and avoid any salt build up which has kept the screen like new.

Regarding Redbay 10, I dont think she would through up much spray anyway and I am pretty sure the screen and windows are marine grade glass and not Lexan.

For the budget stated there would be plenty of options from Redbay and they have recently done a few smaller hard cabin boats which look great and offer cuddy, cabin, diesel economy and potentially towable. Not many boxes left unticked!!

Boo
Old 11 February 2010, 10:15   #13

thanks for the help

you are right -I'll have to pop over and have a proper look around
Old 11 February 2010, 10:45   #14

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Obviously not in the original spec (website photos) but I don't know if they were fitted later. It's a good question though, quite a number of the cabin ribs don't fit them, some do. A few of the owners I've asked have said that they don't feel the need for them and that they tend to give jip. Some owners put a spray on the screen that helps it clear (it must lower the surface tension of the water?)

In either case, she's sat at the Factory so I'd imagine a wiper or two wouldn't break the deal
Just coat the screen regularly with rain x and the water beads and runs off the screen if you try it on your car you hardly need to use your wipers.
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2010, 11:49   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Regarding Redbay 10, I dont think she would through up much spray anyway and I am pretty sure the screen and windows are marine grade glass and not Lexan.
Aye, only the wraparounds are Lexan.
Old 11 February 2010, 12:27   #16

Boat name: Fionnuisce
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Phil you might have a look at Excalibur Ribs at www.ribs.ie . Joe makes a nice 9m wraparound with a cuddy. He used to be with Redbay. Doing his own thing in Cork for several years now. Excellent reputation for well built well finished offshore ribs, also very competitive.
Old 11 February 2010, 14:11   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
...also very competitive.
There's the problem - unless Phil can reclaim or get Exemption from the 21% VAT and take the hit on weak Sterling, they might not seem so good value over there?
Old 11 February 2010, 17:03   #18

Big Dipper,

have also had my eye on that 9.2 sports (also long time on market) but I believe the hard nose of the redbay is better

willk, good point - now the "Greek Tragedy" has been averted I cannot hold my breath on a Euro collapse; oh for the days of 1.4!!!
Old 14 February 2010, 11:26   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
Long Passage

Just to add my 2 cents..... Redbay 10 to the best of my knowledge had been to France and back...
I have yet to see a rib as well outfitted for navigation with charts and not totally reliant on a set of battery backups and gps signals.
Full charting table was very impressive, and looked like a little tough cruiser compared to the bigger 11m boats.
Price is still a bit high but if i had the money, she'd be mine.

Big Dipper ... is that your redbay thats for sale with excalibur on ribs.ie ???
Old 14 February 2010, 20:25   #20

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I dunno!

To assist with your price comparison, I do know that a new Expedition 8.4, single 285hp, trailer is about £80k incl. VAT, electronics extra. The Expedition is 8.6m LOA, and probably seats as many or more than Redbay 10 (I don't think she had side benches in the Cabin???) and does about 35 knots. I'd guess that Redbay 10 is not towable. The Expeditions are, if you take the anchor out

So I'd be wondering about the £75k... other than the attraction of the second motor, which is a major plus, until servicing time

If I was you - I'd hop on a cheapie flight and test drive both of them
not sure what you would use your boat for, and I'll get crucified on here, but for that wedge and serious boating, have you looked at a targa 31 or similar. A friend has one and has circum the uk, Ireland, iow etc. As fast as our rib and keeps going in anything, just awesome. used by customs/police etc. Comfy inside with berths heads etc as well. Surely more appropriate for leisure use/cruising rather than a v expensive rib that's more commercial use orientated. Much more noble and solid than a sunseeker gin palace. Only an idea.