Old 14 February 2011, 08:52   #1

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Realistic limits for an SR4

I bought my first RIB, an SR4, during the summer and spent the last 7 months or so doing what can be best described as pissing about in the Mersey & Liverpool Bay. Not very exciting but not having a huge amount of experience (and possibly the world's crappest PB2 course) I didn't think much else was sensible.

I'm starting to look at going further afield and just wondering what are realistic limits for a 4m boat, weather allowing? I'd been hoping to do some mooching round Scottish islands over the next few months but I don't want to get overambitious, I'm not daft enough to strike out for Uist but I wouldn't mind being able to go to some of the closer islands.

Boat takes about 50ish litres of fuel in two tanks, 40hp Merc with a 6hp Yam auxiliary, VHF, inshore flare pack. Will probably fit a set of nav lights in the next few months.

Cheers,

Stuart
Old 14 February 2011, 09:15   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
Hi Stuart
There is some great exploring that can be had off the west coast of Scotland without having to travel too far, provided you are equipped properly. We've been using a 4m searider based in oban for over ten years and, as long as the weather is good to you, there are some cracking trips you can do - down to the slate isles, garvellachs, corryvreckan etc.

In terms of what you need i would say an aux is a definite plus, handheld vhf and gps, flares, decent anchor etc.

Feel free to get in touch if you are heading up and if i'm around i would happily show you where to go around oban

Cheers
Alasdair
Old 14 February 2011, 09:27   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
If you are free that weekend, there's always the Easdale trip where you can try some longer distance in company.....

Sounds like you have pretty muich the dsame setup as my old SR4, except with more HP! It's possible to get two 30L tanks side by side between the transom braces, Presumably a 25L under your seat & another up at the bow. That should give you about 10 million miles range with that setup!
Old 14 February 2011, 11:24   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Your SR is fine, with enough fuel. If you're planning to "footer" about by yourself, I'd focus on the navigation bit. An SR4 (open ribs generally) isn't the place to do chartwork, so either a very good plan or a small plotting GPS (my pref., TBH). That might eliminate the need for a Sounder - you don't mention one.
Old 14 February 2011, 12:32   #5

Cheers for the replies. I haven't got a sounder but it's on my list of jobs.

I'm planning on going to the Easdale weekend, I just need to check the dates. I'm from Scotland originally and spent near enough every other weekend diving round the Garvellachs, Kerrera, etc., and since getting the RIB I've really fancied going back (not for diving, just footering about -- great word for describing it, I'll be using that a lot now!).

At the moment I haven't really done any trips that weren't within spitting distance of land, mainly because I wanted to stay within a paddleable distance (my first aux got nicked and I've only just replaced it). I really fancy venturing a bit further afield, I'm just curious if there's a "sensible" limit for an SR4 for how far offshore or from a safe haven you'd want to be if, say, it starts getting lumpier than you expected or whatever. I know it's subjective but equally I don't want to end up in a message titled "look at this tit"

I suppose it's a case of gradual progression, I'm aiming for a run up to the Clyde or Forth in a few weeks and start venturing out in north Wales as well. I guess it's just a case of working up and finding out what I'm comfortable in.

Cheers,

Stuart
Old 14 February 2011, 13:29   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Your SR is fine, with enough fuel. If you're planning to "footer" about by yourself, I'd focus on the navigation bit. An SR4 (open ribs generally) isn't the place to do chartwork, so either a very good plan or a small plotting GPS (my pref., TBH). That might eliminate the need for a Sounder - you don't mention one.
For what it's worth, I have been plotting a load of waypoints & routes from Memory map & my previous travels in order that I can use my trusty Garmin 12 (non plotting GPS) as a nav aid (or backup when I finally get round to buying a plotter). The high level idea is that I have a set of waypoints that in a worst case scenario I can "join the dots" & know where to find shelter/fuel and/or not hit anything land shaped if the visibility reduces suddenly & randomly.
Old 14 February 2011, 15:31   #7

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Engine: 300 hp outboard
I'll be on the easdale weekend - if its calm enough i'll be in a 4m searider with a 40hp honda and would be very happy to chum you out to colonsay. All depends on the weather i guess, but it might be a good starting point as there will be lots of boats around and a good bit of local knowledge
Old 04 April 2011, 19:34   #8
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardland View Post
I bought my first RIB, an SR4, during the summer and spent the last 7 months or so doing what can be best described as pissing about in the Mersey & Liverpool Bay. Not very exciting but not having a huge amount of experience (and possibly the world's crappest PB2 course) I didn't think much else was sensible.

I'm starting to look at going further afield and just wondering what are realistic limits for a 4m boat, weather allowing? I'd been hoping to do some mooching round Scottish islands over the next few months but I don't want to get overambitious, I'm not daft enough to strike out for Uist but I wouldn't mind being able to go to some of the closer islands.

Boat takes about 50ish litres of fuel in two tanks, 40hp Merc with a 6hp Yam auxiliary, VHF, inshore flare pack. Will probably fit a set of nav lights in the next few months.

Cheers,

Stuart
I am going to the easdale weekend ,sounds like you have the same set up as me, I find the 40 hp is quite good on fuel and can cover a fair distance on two 25 ltr tanks, how did you manage to fit a 6hp aux on the back?
Kev.
Old 04 April 2011, 21:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
how did you manage to fit a 6hp aux on the back?
Kev.
I took the a-frame off and there is just enough space to get it on. It's right on the edge of the transom, it loses a bit of steerage on turns to starboard as the tube gets in the way of the tiller but it's OK. The main engine is fine with the aux in the up position, I can still get full lock on in both directions without clattering the aux. The 40hp is a short shaft and the transom is notched to take it so the cowling is a bit lower which maybe helps.
Old 05 April 2011, 11:29   #10

Town: Telford
Boat name: ?
Make: Searider
Quote:
I took the a-frame off and there is just enough space to get it on. It's right on the edge of the transom, it loses a bit of steerage on turns to starboard as the tube gets in the way of the tiller but it's OK. The main engine is fine with the aux in the up position, I can still get full lock on in both directions without clattering the aux. The 40hp is a short shaft and the transom is notched to take it so the cowling is a bit lower which maybe helps.

The Transom is notched down to a short shaft, yikes !!! , it scares me having so little above the water with the long shaft on, do you get much slop over the stern ?
Old 05 April 2011, 12:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
The Transom is notched down to a short shaft, yikes !!! , it scares me having so little above the water with the long shaft on, do you get much slop over the stern ?
First off, it wasn't my work, it came that way. It's my first RIB so lesson learned, I don't think I'd do it again by choice. Actually it's not too bad, you need to be a bit careful when slowing/stopping but it hasn't been much of a problem so far. In saying that it hasn't been out in anything particularly challenging either. One thing I will say is that it does get a bit wet when recovering it back on to the trailer as it doesn't take much of a wave to spill over the transom. I've just closed off the hull (which wasn't the easiest job with the motor mount so low) so fitting a drain sock is my next job.

In saying that, I'm assuming it's a short shaft as it's not as long as a long shaft.
Old 05 April 2011, 14:32   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
First off, it wasn't my work, it came that way. It's my first RIB so lesson learned, I don't think I'd do it again by choice. Actually it's not too bad, you need to be a bit careful when slowing/stopping but it hasn't been much of a problem so far. In saying that it hasn't been out in anything particularly challenging either. One thing I will say is that it does get a bit wet when recovering it back on to the trailer as it doesn't take much of a wave to spill over the transom. I've just closed off the hull (which wasn't the easiest job with the motor mount so low) so fitting a drain sock is my next job.

In saying that, I'm assuming it's a short shaft as it's not as long as a long shaft.
Not an ex RNLI 40hp Mariner by any chance?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 April 2011, 18:13   #13

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
An inbetweeny shaft!
Old 05 April 2011, 19:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not sure, it might well have been. Is there any way to tell? Mods, serial number, etc?
Old 05 April 2011, 20:07   #15

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
It'll have an extenstion plate fitted to the leg making it neither long or short shaft.
Prob have some red numbers painted on the leg too.