Old 14 March 2022, 04:10   #1

Town: Sydney
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Johnson 2Stroke
Re-Tubing Zodiac Pro 470

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to re-tube my 2004 Zodiac Pro 470. The glue in the old tubes is way beyond salvation.

I am in Sydney Australia and have had zero response from my local Zodiac Dealer despite 4 requests for a quote for Zodiac tubes.

I have instead found a dealer on the other side of the country which will manufacture replacement tubes in either
1. PVC with welded seams, or
2. TPU (Polyurethane) with welded seams, or
3. Hypalon with glued seams.

They also offer any of the above in a foam filled option.

The vessel is only used recreationally and is kept on a trailer under an awning.

Does anyone have any advice on the various pros and cons of each material?

Thanks in advance
Old 14 March 2022, 18:44   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Zodiac in their wisdom continually rename their leisure boats. Surprised your local dealer isn't getting back to you though?

Anyway - my understanding is the Pro 470 is the Pro 9-man which was then renamed to Pro 500.

Here's a link to Defender and prices are in US dollars, but you get the idea. The Pro 470 has a slide on rail (bolt-rope) which tethers on the bow painter U bolt and at the stern.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=5578784#

Before you order anything - always confirm the hull serial number as fitting may differ.

PVC is usually good for up to 15 years, but it's all down to how you use it, where it's stored and of course extremes of temperature. I'd have though UV light in Australia is just as destructive in aging tube-sets.

Glued hypalon, then you should be looking at 25 years, if used for leisure and stored under an awning as you've mentioned.

If you were getting something made up, then opt for pressure release valves in addition to inflation valves.

I've no experience of welded PU - I know it was used on Tornado RIBs for example.
Old 14 March 2022, 22:32   #3

Thanks Spartacus. The glue lasted about 15 years as you suggested. I am fortunate to have a Zodiac because the tubes slide on an off so easily. I agree with your point about the pressure release valves, they have been very handy on my current tubes.
Old 15 March 2022, 02:38   #4

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Zodiac in their wisdom continually rename their leisure boats. Surprised your local dealer isn't getting back to you though?

Anyway - my understanding is the Pro 470 is the Pro 9-man which was then renamed to Pro 500.

Here's a link to Defender and prices are in US dollars, but you get the idea. The Pro 470 has a slide on rail (bolt-rope) which tethers on the bow painter U bolt and at the stern.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=5578784#

Before you order anything - always confirm the hull serial number as fitting may differ.

PVC is usually good for up to 15 years, but it's all down to how you use it, where it's stored and of course extremes of temperature. I'd have though UV light in Australia is just as destructive in aging tube-sets.

Glued hypalon, then you should be looking at 25 years, if used for leisure and stored under an awning as you've mentioned.

If you were getting something made up, then opt for pressure release valves in addition to inflation valves.

I've no experience of welded PU - I know it was used on Tornado RIBs for example.

The 470 is a completely different hull than the 9man/Pro500. Zodiac has changed the model in that size range many times. Availability has been horrible the last few years. I have had a Pro 470 tube on order for over a year now.

Best of luck.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 02:49   #5

I have just had an estimate of 6-9 months for Zodiac tubes which based on your expereince seems a bit short.

It looks like I am going to go aftermarket, so I need to decide between PVC and TPU. I have a quote for $A7000 (PVC) or $A9000 (TPU. Is the TPU worth the extra cost?
Old 15 March 2022, 10:50   #6

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by navig8 View Post
I have just had an estimate of 6-9 months for Zodiac tubes which based on your expereince seems a bit short.

It looks like I am going to go aftermarket, so I need to decide between PVC and TPU. I have a quote for $A7000 (PVC) or $A9000 (TPU. Is the TPU worth the extra cost?

I would opt for hypalon. Unless it is a larger manufacturer it is highly unlikely they would be welding PVC or PU. The machines to do so are extremely expensive.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 23:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
I would opt for hypalon. Unless it is a larger manufacturer it is highly unlikely they would be welding PVC or PU. The machines to do so are extremely expensive.
Fortunately they weld both PVC and TPU, but not hypalon, so that rules out the hypalon for me.
Old 17 March 2022, 12:20   #8

Town: Chatswood
Quote:
Originally Posted by navig8 View Post
Fortunately they weld both PVC and TPU, but not hypalon, so that rules out the hypalon for me.
Hypalon is not welded, but will be by far superior to either of the welded alternatives regardless especially in our sun. Britton Maritime at Kurnell do retubes. All Points boating in Sydney's North have pics of a Zodiac 420 they refurbished and they retube too. Swift Marine in Queensland have some older patterns on the shelf. Inflatable BoatWorx in Braeside Melbourne are good operators. It's an expensive option in Australia whatever material. If you can buy a slide on factory set from Defender I'd be pretty sure it will beat any quote in Australia to get them made even allowing for very expensive freight cheers Tim
Old 17 March 2022, 22:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxinsox8 View Post
Hypalon is not welded, but will be by far superior to either of the welded alternatives regardless especially in our sun. Britton Maritime at Kurnell do retubes. All Points boating in Sydney's North have pics of a Zodiac 420 they refurbished and they retube too. Swift Marine in Queensland have some older patterns on the shelf. Inflatable BoatWorx in Braeside Melbourne are good operators. It's an expensive option in Australia whatever material. If you can buy a slide on factory set from Defender I'd be pretty sure it will beat any quote in Australia to get them made even allowing for very expensive freight cheers Tim
Thanks for the advice Tim. I emailed Boatworx last week and still waiting to hear back (some businesses just don't want my money). I will also look at the other options which you mentioned.

Cheers
Old 19 March 2022, 06:04   #10

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
I have had this discussion about tube material and the absolute answer to the Hypalon v PU is there is no wrong answer....the buyer's seller's, owner's repair shops and manufacturers will all say that Orca Hypalon is the far superior material and on balance it is BUT the elephant in the room that folks are not talking about is Glue! If your boat is kept outside in intensive sunshine then at some point that glue will fail....and when one seem fails then as you probably know they all start to fail...just think how many seems you have on the average sponson. I'm about to have PU tubes fitted to an old 5m Tornado and the fact that 95% of the seems are welded (remember they can't weld the seem where it joins to the hull) is a comfort. Every single Sib I have ever owned has failed at the seems due to glue degradation. My Tornado was made in the 80's ...about 87- 89 we think, and it getting it's first ever re-tube....and do you know what failed (the seems as they were glued( they didn't weld PU back then). No matter what you go for..look after it try and keep it out of yhe sun and it will last you years. All of the above is just my opinion (I'm no expert) but i have read lots and lots of stuff about PU v Hypalon watched pretty much every single video on the subject. One bit of advice someone offered me on here was if your worried about resale of your Rib then go for Hypalon as the market is definitely biases towards Hypalon but if your not looking to sell it anytime soon then don't worry about it. Hope this helps.

Tags
zodiac