Old 11 April 2012, 14:37   #1

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
RB12 Postponed

The RB12 Race has now been officially "Postponed" until 2014 but it will take more than that to put off the E-Lites BananaShark crew.

With very little time to organise it the intention is for the crew to carry on with the trip and go round Britain anyway, using the more traditional Race route through the Caledonian Canal the crew plan to start in their home port of Salcombe, the team will visit 10 more venues leaving cheques for Children's Hospices at every venue with the Rotary Club of Great Britain (I'm sure they won't mind!) - This money will come from the return of the entry fee from the RB12 Organisers. Our proposed route is on this map and if we get approval from everybody we will be back by the end of June.

Thanks to Bob Eddings who has already offered some help with Poole - if you're on the route and have some local knowledge that would be of some use then please let me know - thanks!

Wish us luck and if anyone is on our route we would love to see you on the way round.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 14:58   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The RB12 Race has now been officially "Postponed" until 2014 but it will take more than that to put off the E-Lites BananaShark crew.

With very little time to organise it the intention is for the crew to carry on with the trip and go round Britain anyway, using the more traditional Race route through the Caledonian Canal the crew plan to start in their home port of Salcombe, the team will visit 10 more venues leaving cheques for Children's Hospices at every venue with the Rotary Club of Great Britain (I'm sure they won't mind!) - This money will come from the return of the entry fee from the RB12 Organisers. Our proposed route is on this map and if we get approval from everybody we will be back by the end of June.

Thanks to Bob Eddings who has already offered some help with Poole - if you're on the route and have some local knowledge that would be of some use then please let me know - thanks!

Wish us luck and if anyone is on our route we would love to see you on the way round.
if your going through Menai Straits on 23rd happy to help out, as I'm sure a few others would be too. good choice with Children's Hospices
Old 11 April 2012, 15:35   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Thats bad news and good news . What sort of help are you after ?... not sure what I can do to assist ...hopefully your getting free mooring etc all over the place, photo boats etc ....

Being Poole way myself am happy to help all I can round here.

Pete
Old 11 April 2012, 15:42   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Good on you Cookee

Is see that in Poole, you have an either/or option for berthing. Is this now sorted?
As we are on the Boat Haven I'm sure I could have a word to get you a "free" berth over night and you would get much improved exposure to Joe Public.

Do you have any arrangements for fuel?

Regards
Steve
Old 11 April 2012, 15:58   #5

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
jon good luck to you and the crew i would offer to help but due to my current health problems would find it impossible .regards paul
Old 11 April 2012, 16:26   #6
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
pm sent
Old 11 April 2012, 16:57   #7

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
My club will look after you in Portsmouth. Gunwharf or Port Solent which ever you prefer. My choice would be Port Solent. More and better facilities, fuel etc and we have two yachts you can use to sleep on + a pub named after us!!! Drinks will be on us. Alan P
Old 11 April 2012, 17:24   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
The RB12 website is still showing it as on, nothing about being cancelled yet.
Any idea's?
Old 11 April 2012, 17:28   #9
SPR

it's been deferred till 2014.

S.
Old 11 April 2012, 17:38   #10

Yes, I read what Cookee said, I just looked at their site and it is still counting down 70 days and so many hours, minutes until it starts, that was all i meant.
Old 11 April 2012, 17:42   #11
SPR

Ok , I confirm that it has been deferred to 2014 - I got a phone call yesterday regarding this.

regards

Scott
Old 11 April 2012, 17:46   #12

Ok cheers, I will now cancel that holiday up the west coast of Scotland, will now go and let my mates know also.
Old 11 April 2012, 18:02   #13

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Engine: Outboard
EASDALE - 25th June
You will be passing within 100m of Easdale Island on your way north.
Easdale is 12 miles south of Oban.
Seafari Adventures operates from Easdale. Local information available. E mail us if required. We listen in on Ch77 and will probably have RIBs out at the Corryvreckan on that day.

Tony
Old 11 April 2012, 23:39   #14
Dhf

Length: no boat
Sorry to hear of the postponing there Cookee, I was really looking forward to taking photo's of the race passing the Pembrokshire coast in numbers, However we will be out there on the 23rd and hope to get some good pics of you guys passing Pembs, If there's any assistance we can offer please don't hesitate to contact.
Good luck on your highly commended voyage
Old 12 April 2012, 07:51   #15

First of all and most importantly - Paul - I'll call you later I had no idea you weren't well?

In order:

Chris - We should be passing though there on that date sometime in the afternoon depending on weather!

PeterM - It's so early we haven't even called the marinas yet but really what I'm after is advice on which marina to stay in, diesel availability, even suggestions on different venues that would suit the trip better?

250kts - Nothing is booked yet - I think that it would be best on Town Quay for exposure and we have friends at Salterns

SPR - Thanks for the PM

Alan - At the moment we are still heading for Poole but you're making a good case for Portsmouth!

Tony Hill - Maybe we could pop in and say hi as we're passing if we have time!

Dragonhawk - Sorry the fleet is reduced to one! We'll do our best to put on a show - we have quite an impressive rooster!

To everyone - Thank you for such a wonderful response on this thread, in PM's and by email (cookee@bananasharkracing.com) - What we are looking for right now is local contacts at marinas on our list, the PR company who work for our sponsors E-Lites are currently working away like beavers trying to make the best of the situation so that I can go to people with the full story of how much publicity we'll be giving people so I expect to be calling everyone next week asking for a berth for the night!

Fuel availability is also a criteria for us as you can imagine, and if I can get anyone to give us some very cheap or even for free that would be even better! For every litre I get I'll add 50p to the kitty - does everyone think that's reasonable?

We would obviously like to raise some more money on the way round (or even before we set off), so if anyone has any brilliant ideas that would be brilliant.

That's all I can think of for now - maybe some ideas for lunch stops where we can rattle the tin en route?

Thanks again you lot - you're brilliant!
Old 12 April 2012, 10:48   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Come to Portsmouth and I will fuel your boat back to Salcombe and arrange all your PR while you are here Alan P
Old 12 April 2012, 11:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Come to Portsmouth and I will fuel your boat back to Salcombe and arrange all your PR while you are here Alan P
Mmmmmm that sounds like an offer that's too good to turn down! I think we may have to alter the map slightly! New updated map!
Old 12 April 2012, 12:45   #18

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Come to Watford and I will refuel your boat to Portsmouth.

You could do a quiz £10 per ticket as to how much fuel you use all the way round nearest 3 get a spin out in your boat sometime possible CTC week
Old 12 April 2012, 12:53   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
First of all and most importantly - Paul - I'll call you later I had no idea you weren't well?

In order:

Chris - We should be passing though there on that date sometime in the afternoon depending on weather!

PeterM - It's so early we haven't even called the marinas yet but really what I'm after is advice on which marina to stay in, diesel availability, even suggestions on different venues that would suit the trip better?

250kts - Nothing is booked yet - I think that it would be best on Town Quay for exposure and we have friends at Salterns

SPR - Thanks for the PM

Alan - At the moment we are still heading for Poole but you're making a good case for Portsmouth!

Tony Hill - Maybe we could pop in and say hi as we're passing if we have time!

Dragonhawk - Sorry the fleet is reduced to one! We'll do our best to put on a show - we have quite an impressive rooster!

To everyone - Thank you for such a wonderful response on this thread, in PM's and by email (cookee@bananasharkracing.com) - What we are looking for right now is local contacts at marinas on our list, the PR company who work for our sponsors E-Lites are currently working away like beavers trying to make the best of the situation so that I can go to people with the full story of how much publicity we'll be giving people so I expect to be calling everyone next week asking for a berth for the night!

Fuel availability is also a criteria for us as you can imagine, and if I can get anyone to give us some very cheap or even for free that would be even better! For every litre I get I'll add 50p to the kitty - does everyone think that's reasonable?

We would obviously like to raise some more money on the way round (or even before we set off), so if anyone has any brilliant ideas that would be brilliant.

That's all I can think of for now - maybe some ideas for lunch stops where we can rattle the tin en route?

Thanks again you lot - you're brilliant!
just been looking at your overnight stop at Liverpool, has anyone checked the tides for access in and out of the marina on the 23rd & 24th, I think you've only got around two hrs either side of high tide, HT on 23rd is approx 14:40, and on 24th 02:30 & 15:00. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 12 April 2012, 13:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
just been looking at your overnight stop at Liverpool, has anyone checked the tides for access in and out of the marina on the 23rd & 24th, I think you've only got around two hrs either side of high tide, HT on 23rd is approx 14:40, and on 24th 02:30 & 15:00. Let me know if you need more info.
Just the sort of information we need- is there anywhere we can get in at any state of the tide? 2 hours either side of high tide is no good to us!