Old 14 April 2020, 22:09   #41

Town: South Coast
Length: 9m +
FoxZulu, very much agree! Interestingly whilst not helping in this discussion but the aviation situation is ironically polar opposite when it comes to the distress frequency 121.5. In that, we are encouraged as part of training, as I am hoping you were once, to make a 'practise Pan' to London D&D. Obviously with the Caveat to listen out (which I did as the instructor) for several minutes prior to making the request for a practise Pan. Opposing this is in the rest of Europe at least and beyond, this practise is not encourage or used. Thus you have the boys up top listening out as is the SOP to 121.5 on the other box shouting "You're on GUARD!!!!", not realising in the UK at least, this Practise Pan is acceptable! Nothing like the 'Guard Police', they can react quicker to Box 2 than they ever would on Box 1 . . strange!

Agreed though, the mindless chatter on Ch16 is often inappropriate for sure. Point of detail though, isn't ch16 a calling channel as well as Emergency/Safety? The point being call someone up, offering a working channel to flip to?

The point being, couple the fact people could be calling a random vessel to agree a working channel, CG doing same to broadcast safety info on other channels, then add in 'radio checks' by all and sundry and we are left with a frequency and little free air time as it were! So as you say, less is more!
Old 14 April 2020, 22:40   #42

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbed41Pleasure View Post
FoxZulu, very much agree! Interestingly whilst not helping in this discussion but the aviation situation is ironically polar opposite when it comes to the distress frequency 121.5. In that, we are encouraged as part of training, as I am hoping you were once, to make a 'practise Pan' to London D&D. Obviously with the Caveat to listen out (which I did as the instructor) for several minutes prior to making the request for a practise Pan. Opposing this is in the rest of Europe at least and beyond, this practise is not encourage or used. Thus you have the boys up top listening out as is the SOP to 121.5 on the other box shouting "You're on GUARD!!!!", not realising in the UK at least, this Practise Pan is acceptable! Nothing like the 'Guard Police', they can react quicker to Box 2 than they ever would on Box 1 . . strange!

Agreed though, the mindless chatter on Ch16 is often inappropriate for sure. Point of detail though, isn't ch16 a calling channel as well as Emergency/Safety? The point being call someone up, offering a working channel to flip to?

The point being, couple the fact people could be calling a random vessel to agree a working channel, CG doing same to broadcast safety info on other channels, then add in 'radio checks' by all and sundry and we are left with a frequency and little free air time as it were! So as you say, less is more!
Just seen your post. will reply tomorrow
Old 15 April 2020, 08:02   #43

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
Its worth remembering that for a radio check to have real value it needs to test the range as well as the signal quality of your setup. Calling's the lock keeper or the marina while underneath their offices are not great tests. In the same way calling the CG with their high end kit.

Hope that adds something to the thought process.
Old 15 April 2020, 09:15   #44

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
A radio check does one thing, and one thing only, it establishes that your radio works.
Old 15 April 2020, 10:26   #45

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
If I do a radio check with the CG (with is not very often) it is usually using DSC ................

My radio gets plenty of voice use when I am out with other boats that I know, both private & commercial ..............

A check that a lot of people dont do is an extended range check ............ I lose my GSM (Vodafone) at about 15 miles and VHF to CG is OK to about 30 -35 miles ..........however, at that range I am in the shipping lanes and there is always somebody within range for a relay call if needs be ...............
Old 15 April 2020, 11:22   #46

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbed41Pleasure View Post
Point of detail though, isn't ch16 a calling channel as well as Emergency/Safety? The point being call someone up, offering a working channel to flip to?
Correct

As wilk says, there may be different practice / understanding with CG in Ireland than with best practice in the UK.

I'd still say that radioing a passage plan to he CG is not a "radio check" but routine traffic. Call up on CH16 then transfer to CG working channel to transmit the passage plan & other detail.
Old 09 May 2020, 23:34   #47

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: inboard
I can see why the uk coast guard discourages radio checks Quote from news "HM Coastguard said it had the highest number of call-outs since the lockdown began on Friday, with 97 incidents - a 54% increase compared with April's daily average"
Old 10 May 2020, 06:39   #48

Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Just to play devils advocate, you and your family depart for a lovely day out planning to go from Southampton and around the Isle of Wight, you do your radio check to find no one replies! Do you then cancel your plans? Just wondering as I have never done a radio check in over 50 years of boating but I assume the radio works like I carry a flare pack and assume the flares work, no checking them!
Old 10 May 2020, 07:14   #49

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Just to play devils advocate, you and your family depart for a lovely day out planning to go from Southampton and around the Isle of Wight, you do your radio check to find no one replies! Do you then cancel your plans? Just wondering as I have never done a radio check in over 50 years of boating but I assume the radio works like I carry a flare pack and assume the flares work, no checking them!
Yes you should cancel your plans. A working VHF is essential. If you get into trouble and have no way of calling for help then you may be risking lives. Ive been involved in 4 incidents where it was just lucky I was in the area and 'noticed' something was wrong and the persons had no way of calling for help. 1 - a kayaker tourist off lulworth cover with an upturned kayak drifting, 2 - 4 people in a small sailing dinghy with broken mast drifting towards old harry rocks, 3 - two persons on a broken down jet ski drifting into path of a fast ferry, 4 - a missing diver whose support boat had no functioning radio. The outcome of all of these was fine however if I had not been there it may not have been so you cant always rely on someone just passing you.

So no I wouldn't personally go to sea without a working VHF, I also carry a handheld VHF and a PLB.
Old 10 May 2020, 07:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
I have never done a radio check in over 50 years of boating
But I guess you have used your radio, even infrequently, so have some confidence that it works?

I rarely do a formal radio check, but often call the fuel berth to see if its clear before heading across - so thats the box ticked for me. If I found my main set was not working then yes I would delay my trip until I found out why.

When I picked up my current boat exactly this happened, the radio was not transmitting audio due to a broken cable in the mic lead. I had two handhelds, received on the fixed set and the DSC function was ok, so we continued our collection run.
Old 10 May 2020, 07:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
So no I wouldn't personally go to sea without a working VHF, I also carry a handheld VHF and a PLB.
Well said. There are 5 things I won't go to sea without, VHF is one of them.
Old 15 June 2020, 09:16   #52

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
Reading this thread with interest and still slightly confused. I've recently bought a handheld VHF. I have obtained a Ships portable radio license for Ofcom.

As its a new radio I would like to do a radio check during our first trip trip to sea. I assume it is my responsibility to search for relevant radio channels local to my area? The nearest channel 65 coastwatch institute location is in Fleetwood approx. 30miles from Morecambe. Would my 6W handheld reach this distance?

I also found this list of UK marine VHF channels. Many of the channels state 16. Why would harbour and marinas answer to CH16 requests? or does this just mean they would assist with any emergency calls that came through?

https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/...nebases_18.pdf
Old 15 June 2020, 09:46   #53

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Marina's tend to operate on Channel 80. I'm not sure if Glasson Dock is manned all the time but they may respond. You could phone them and check.

Did you do your VHF course locally to you? You could probably give the provider a call and ask for a bit of advice, particularly if you did it recently.
Old 15 June 2020, 10:35   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Marina's tend to operate on Channel 80. I'm not sure if Glasson Dock is manned all the time but they may respond. You could phone them and check.

Did you do your VHF course locally to you? You could probably give the provider a call and ask for a bit of advice, particularly if you did it recently.
I haven't done the VHF course. The OFCOM license was granted free of charge after filling an online form. They then email your completed license.

There was no where to say the training course is a reqirement or it is just good practice?
Old 15 June 2020, 10:43   #55

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhben View Post
I haven't done the VHF course. The OFCOM license was granted free of charge after filling an online form. They then email your completed license.

There was no where to say the training course is a reqirement or it is just good practice?
The electrics ( either fixed or handheld VHF ) req a licence/s and the operator requires a separate licence to use them - in theory
Old 15 June 2020, 10:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
The electrics ( either fixed or handheld VHF ) req a licence/s and the operator requires a separate licence to use them - in theory
Ah ok, So the OFCOM license I have been granted is purely to own the handheld VHF, but to use if for a radio check I would need a personal license...in theroy?

There was no where in the offcom application that stated that!
Old 15 June 2020, 10:59   #57

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, to legally use a marine VHF radio for anything other than emergencies, you require an operator certificate, which in this country is the RYA VHF DSC course. People say "in theory", as practically no one ever asks to see your certification in this country, although it's not that uncommon in Europe or elsewhere in the world to be asked to show your paperwork.

Legal piece aside, definitely worth doing the course (and can be mostly done online if preferred), as it would answer all of your questions above, and show you how to correctly use the equipment in a variety of situations.
Old 15 June 2020, 12:40   #58

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Ah ok, So the OFCOM license I have been granted is purely to own the handheld VHF, but to use if for a radio check I would need a personal license...in theroy?

Think of it in car terms. Your car has to be taxed & you have to have a driving licence. There’s nothing to stop you from buying a car without a driving licence. Similarly you don’t need a car to pass your driving test. But to drive your car it has to be taxed & you must have a licence.....in theory[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 16:44   #59

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:

Err .............. yes there was, it is part of the terms and conditions of the licence that you signed up to ...............
Old 16 June 2020, 19:50   #60
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
The vhf course only takes a few hours, mine was interesting and it makes you legal! I thought it was worthwhile.
Also, it made it much easier approaching my first lock gate.
Just don’t repeat all the identities 3 times as they tell you to as this will aggravate the poor chap who’s juggling many boats going in both directions!!