Old 21 June 2005, 12:35   #1

Town: BATH
Boat name: Shabadoo
Length: 8m +
Radar Reflectors

I keep seeing more and more RIBs with these new Active Radar Reflectors. I am interested in other peoples opinions on this matter. Is there a reason why RIBs do not need to be radar visible? I would think no saftey equipment is a waste of time or money!
Old 21 June 2005, 13:21   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
If by Radar Reflectors you mean Active Target Enhancers - a transmitter that gives you a bigger radar signature - then I think their use requires much careful thought. One simple reason. Imagine the solent on a sunny day. X hundred / thousand pleasure craft out there. All have ATE's. A significant percentage will have them turned on irrespective of conditions. Now imagine the amount of data on a radar screen. That blip moving towards you at 20kts. Is it a RIB or a cargo ship?!

I think they do have their place when cruising in shipping lanes. So going across the channel for example. Even in the solent at night or in fog. But they should only be switched on IMHO when conditions require. Not on all the time.

My 2 cents...
Old 21 June 2005, 15:33   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
If by Radar Reflectors you mean Active Target Enhancers - a transmitter that gives you a bigger radar signature - then I think their use requires much careful thought. One simple reason. Imagine the solent on a sunny day. X hundred / thousand pleasure craft out there. All have ATE's. A significant percentage will have them turned on irrespective of conditions. Now imagine the amount of data on a radar screen. That blip moving towards you at 20kts. Is it a RIB or a cargo ship?!

I think they do have their place when cruising in shipping lanes. So going across the channel for example. Even in the solent at night or in fog. But they should only be switched on IMHO when conditions require. Not on all the time.

My 2 cents...
Very good point Alan!!!

Bit like foglamps on a car - only turn them on when REALLY needed!!!

Just read yet another review on Radar reflectors - apparently the ONLY ones that meat the Solas requirements are the biggest Echomax and the SeeMe active type - all the others are a waste of time - and what's the point in fitting one if it doesn't work???

Another highly reccommended was the type sold by viking called the tri-lens - looks pretty cool - easy to mount on an A frame and £120.

http://www.marine-super-store.com/po...der=4&format=2

That's the one I will be fitting.