Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2022, 11:07   #1

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
Length: no boat
Quicksilver 350 Alu Rib steering

Having recently bought the above boat, I now want to turn my attention to some mods I want to make.

The first one will be a steering console. This doesn't need to be anything grand and a tubular steel one would suffice. I have seen the type that bolt to the floor but they don't seem very easy to come by in the UK.

So, I am thinking of getting one fabricated, but my question is - does it need to be bolted to the floor or would it be ok mounted on a sliding seat? I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the seat rails but as I have not unwrapped the boat just yet I have no idea how robust they are.

The engine will be a Epropulsion 1.0 Evo for river work which has bluetooth throttle and cable steering. Not much weight or power involved. For loch/sea work I plan to get a Tohatsu 10-20hp but will probably stick to tiller steering for that, I haven't decided yet.
Old 18 April 2022, 11:13   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
See my other reply. Not needed at these boat sizes and horsepower ranges. Add unneeded cost and complication plus waste space.
Old 18 April 2022, 11:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
See my other reply. Not needed at these boat sizes and horsepower ranges. Add unneeded cost and complication plus waste space.
Yes I saw that and you make a good point.

Following your comments I have decided to stick with tiller steering for the bigger engine, but I still want to use the remote facility on the electric outboard.

I suffer from a bad back and find tiller steering a bit of a strain. I also like to lean back in a seat rather than trying to sit upright unsupported, so sitting on the tube doesn't really appeal.

On the river there is a lot more steering involved, especially around the locks etc. so wheel steering (which is what I'm used to) seems a better option.

As I said in reply to your post, I would like the steering for the Epropulsion to be removeable.
Old 18 April 2022, 11:53   #4

This is the sort of thing I was thinking;

https://www.boatstogo.com/central-co...table-boat.asp

But maybe a cut down version to be bolted to a bench seat?
Old 18 April 2022, 12:33   #5

Ahh understood... if you have a need then of course you need to meet that. I suffer lower back pain if I'm not careful but I'm really lucky it isn't irritated by sitting on the tube or seat and tiller steering. Until buying a front trolley to launch lifting and pulling from the front handle did me the most damage.... as did trying to carry outboards of 35kg and more.
Old 18 April 2022, 12:40   #6

Quote:
Ahh understood... if you have a need then of course you need to meet that. I suffer lower back pain if I'm not careful but I'm really lucky it isn't irritated by sitting on the tube or seat and tiller steering. Until buying a front trolley to launch lifting and pulling from the front handle did me the most damage.... as did trying to carry outboards of 35kg and more.
Yes I will need a front trolley and transom wheels for situations where I can't launch from the trailer.

My back has got a lot worse in recent weeks and a night in the pub just standing at the bar cripples me the next day. The Epropulsion is very light and the battery can be carried separately so that won't be a problem. The Tohatsu I will just have to be very careful, I can still lift quite heavy weights but I have to lift in a certain way.

Can I ask what front trolley you bought?
Old 18 April 2022, 13:26   #7

I went all out and ordered a rather too expensive Trem that was only available from Italy at the time. It needed one mod for me in that I had to stoop to the handle hence bought a pipe bender to raise it and now it's perfect. Note the height the handle ends up at relates to the floor shape at the point the two "forks" support it. So needs trying before bending and with some boats may be OK as-is.

An unexpected benefit is our pair of transom wheels nestle into the trolley as if made for the job so once launched it is one neat package to trundle back to the car/cottage/caravan etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trem dolley formod.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	140300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow trolley bentup.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	140301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trem trolley inplace.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	140302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trem trolley and transom wheels.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	140303  
Old 18 April 2022, 13:39   #8

It's this trolley...

https://www.yachtshop.eu/en/product-...ts%20transport

I went to the trouble and cost of that model for two reasons.

Many are such they hook under the bow handle and if you let go of the trolley handle it goes to the ground and the SIB isn't fully supported. On this one the handle sits at its normal height with the SIB full supported when you let go.

And almost more important this one has a small turntable arrangement so it steers. The others need you to skew/scrabble the wheels in a turn which makes a three point turn at the top of a busy tight slipway difficult.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:39   #9

Quote:
I went all out and ordered a rather too expensive Trem that was only available from Italy at the time. It needed one mod for me in that I had to stoop to the handle hence bought a pipe bender to raise it and now it's perfect. Note the height the handle ends up at relates to the floor shape at the point the two "forks" support it. So needs trying before bending and with some boats may be OK as-is.

An unexpected benefit is our pair of transom wheels nestle into the trolley as if made for the job so once launched it is one neat package to trundle back to the car/cottage/caravan etc.
Thanks for that, I would also have to bend the handle I think.

I looked around and as you say, it is quite expensive. Then I found this which I think is the same?

https://www.compass24.com/motor/boat...SABEgJ2yvD_BwE
Old 18 April 2022, 13:40   #10

Quote:
It's this trolley...

https://www.yachtshop.eu/en/product-...ts%20transport

I went to the trouble and cost of that model for two reasons.

Many are such they hook under the bow handle and if you let go of the trolley handle it goes to the ground and the SIB isn't fully supported. On this one the handle sits at its normal height with the SIB full supported when you let go.

And almost more important this one has a small turntable arrangement so it steers. The others need you to skew/scrabble the wheels in a turn which makes a three point turn at the top of a busy tight slipway difficult.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:42   #11

Yep that one you've linked is the same Trem just without the brand being mentioned. At that price and UK postage it's a good buy.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:43   #12

Quote:
Yep that one you've linked is the same Trem just without the brand being mentioned. At that price and UK postage it's a good buy.
Yes and I am just about to order it!

Thanks very much.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:56   #13

Ok once you trial it if the handle height is wrong and you otherwise have no access to larger benders we are only 19mls north of you straight up the A1.
Old 18 April 2022, 13:59   #14

Quote:
Ok once you trial it if the handle height is wrong and you otherwise have no access to larger benders we are only 19mls north of you straight up the A1.
Brilliant. Thanks again.

Now ordered.
Old 18 April 2022, 21:27   #15

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Get ya hands dirty https://mikefettles.blogspot.com/202...ing-kb350.html
Old 19 April 2022, 05:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
That's a great piece of work - wish I had the gear to do it not to mention the skill!
Old 24 April 2022, 11:43   #17

Just inflated the boat for the first time which raises a couple of questions;

1) The starboard tube valve deflates as soon as I take the hose from the pump off. I'm not familiar with these valves but would like to ask, is it just a case of adjusting the sprung pin in the middle of the valve to stop this. The other valves just release a quick burst of air when removing the hose. The valve stops releasing air once the cap is put back on.

2) Sliding the seat on proved to be a bit of a struggle. In fact it will hardly move. Does anybody apply any sort of lubricant such as silicone grease to aid movement? Watching videos of people doing this and they seem to slide on with ease.

Thanks.
Old 24 April 2022, 12:21   #18

Have you sussed the valves will have a held open posn and a second on the spring posn? Depending on type this can either be a click in/out or a push and twist to change from one posn to another.

Re the seat. Do you have those ribs that the seat slides onto? If so often it's easier to get it started with the tubes slightly deflated. Ideally don't lubricate with anything as it will slide in use. Sometimes this happens anyway and folks have various ideas to stop this.
Old 24 April 2022, 12:26   #19

Quote:
Have you sussed the valves will have a held open posn and a second on the spring posn? Depending on type this can either be a click in/out or a push and twist to change from one posn to another.

Re the seat. Do you have those ribs that the seat slides onto? If so often it's easier to get it started with the tubes slightly deflated. Ideally don't lubricate with anything as it will slide in use. Sometimes this happens anyway and folks have various ideas to stop this.
Thanks for that, I haven't sussed the valves but I will take a look, I'm sure it's an obvious solution you suggest.

That makes sense (deflating the tubes a bit) as the seat was at full stretch making it difficult to latch the tubes in!

I'm off to the pub now so will try any suggestions in the morning and reply then.
Old 25 April 2022, 08:25   #20

Quote:

All good on both points now, thanks for your help.

Tags
rib