Old 30 June 2005, 12:58   #1

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
Questions about Rib repairs

Hi...

I need to do a small repair to one of my tubes - and I need some guidance...

The RIB is an early to mid 90's Avon SeaSport - I think the tubes are Hypalon - but I dont know for sure... I say that because they have a fabric weaving through them - can anybody confirm for sure if they are Hypalon ??

The actula problem, is that a strip which covers the seam between the tube and the end-cone has started to detach (see photos...) - and I want to re-glue it before it leads to soemthing more serious...

I'm wondering if I should just re-glue the strip in position, and just leave it at that - or whether I should glue the strip, and then glue another bigger piece of material over the strip where it comes in contact with the water ?

what glue should I use ??

how well do I need to clean the underside of the strip - and how do I do this ?

Also, the edges of the other 'patches' have also started to detatch - nothing serious yet - it's just detaching for less tha a quarter of an inch at the edge - but I'd like to glue this down too - as I'm afraid that the force of the water will quickly make it worse... anyadvice on how to do this without peeling more of the material back ??

Why did this happen - is it normal - or is it aresult of my running the tubes too soft (which happens between the middle of the day and the late evening ...) ?

any other tips, etc ? I should consider ??

oh - and one other thing... I have a 'Lizard ?' breakback trailer - which has a black rubber V shaped bumper to support the bow of the rib when its loaded up... The bumper had two bolts embedded in it which bolted it to the trailer - but one of these has dropped (broken ?) out of the block - and I now need to replace it... ANy ideas where I can get a replacement online ?

A drawback of the black rubber is that it blackens the boat - I was considering making up a small bracket which would take a roller (I've seen these in several boat shops - they look like they wouldn't mark the hull...), and using that to repalce the bumper - any ideas/arguments against ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nrib(001).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	13014   Click image for larger version

Name:	nrib(002).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	13015   Click image for larger version

Name:	nrib(003).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	13016  
Old 30 June 2005, 13:33   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Towsure sell the rubber blocks that you are looking for.

As far a cleaning the tube before the repair use sand paper then clean it up using a solvent based cleaner. Spend the majority of your time on prep and getting a good surface to glue to.

I think there is more info in the FAQ section.

Chris
Old 02 July 2005, 07:27   #3

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
thanks - got the trailer stuff on the towsure site.

I'm still not absolutely sure if the rib is Hypalon - and hence which glue to use... any ideas anybody ?
Old 02 July 2005, 10:25   #4

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
As far as i'm aware, avon have never manufactured RIBs in anything other than hypalon, especially not in the early nineties. Certainly looks like hypalon from the photos. Re: the strip, it should be fine to just glue it on, but i'd check the FAQ section for the best glue to use. Also, henshaws have a guide to how to do minor tube repairs on their site, www.henshaws.co.uk. This should reccomend a glue also.

Unless the patches are majorly peeling off, I wouldn't replace them. Since its not critical, probably a bit of light sanding, and then applying the glue under the peeling bit should work on the edges of the patches. Make sure that you do this with the tubes deflated, and use a small roller to squeeze out all the little bubbles. It looks tidier if you gently wipe off the excess as it comes out the sides!

HTH

Matt
Old 03 July 2005, 18:42   #5

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
A quick word from the (now) wise. As soon as I noticed mine peeling around the join between the cone and the main tube, just like yours, I just added it to the list of jobs and left it at that. Half way from Chichester to Brighton the seam parted and the rear tube section starboard side filled with water. I carried on as I was not aware of a problem at this point.
When I stopped to change tanks I noticed the boat had a 20 degree list to stbd and the tube was awash. Oh crap. Opened the tube valve and water poured out. Oh crap. Tried to get back on the plane but with half a ton of water onboard had no chance. Oh crap. 12 miles to go and only making 8 kn wot. Double crap.
Stopped and drained as much water as possible and strapped up the floppy bit to the the port side. Then moved everything heavy (fuel tanks, anchor etc) to the port side. Made it to Brighton ok, and managed to drain the entire tube. Next day went back to chichester with the stbd tube strapped up and deflated.
Moral of the story is attend to any loose bits before they turn a drama into a crisis. If the weather had been worse I was very vulnerable to a capsize.

PS. My boat is an old searider with many peely edges and I just assumed it would be ok. I used a 2 pack glue from Paul Tilley, (excellent service and advice) and glued the seam back, then put a large patch over the lot. Follow the advice in the faq. I used a flappy sanding attachment for my naff & wrecker drill on a slow speed and it worked fine. Make sure you clean all the old grot off as otherwise it doesn't stick for long.

Tim'mers.