Old 23 April 2020, 10:50   #1

Town: Winchester
Length: 4m +
PVC RIB Tube Cracked Needs Repair

Good day all,

I have a RIB not long acquired. Noticed port aft tube was losing pressure over a few days. Noticed a 'bodgy' looking repair evident. Thought was maybe a tear underneath.

Removed the previously applied patch and have cleaned up most of the pre-existing patchy adhesive and the issue is cracked or worn tube. Hoping it can be repaired with a decent patch and additional seem applied around the edge.

Question is, I cant see how a patch can be applied well with good surface contact when the tube has no pressure that will deform and most likely fail.

Any advice gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_185438.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	132819   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200422_154124.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	132820  
Old 23 April 2020, 10:56   #2

My thoughts are:

Completely clean previous glue evidence
Somehow lightly seal from the outside to allow sufficient pressure to apply a new patch properly
Old 23 April 2020, 20:21   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Has it been painted? You can see the top surface is threadbare in some places.

In order to get pressure on the tube during the repair, I wouldn't inflate it as this will cause problems during gluing. I'd completely deflate the tube, but before you do that, thoroughly sand and degrease. More details here: https://polymarine.com/pdfs/Polymari...-Use-Guide.pdf

Actually ambient temperatures are perfect right now for this type if repair outside. If you have a couple of bits of 2x4" timber and oversized G-clamps, then look them out.

With the tube deflated you should be able to lift the rear sponson and fold it in towards the transom. With the tube sanded an degreased, measure the area and have a patch pre-cut. Round the edges of the patch. Mask the area and apply the first glue layer, including the patch. This is the critical bit. You leave the patch and the tube material for 30 minutes until it's slightly tacky to touch. Apply second thin layer of adhesive, leave 5 minutes until it blooms (it will oxidise), then bring the two surfaces together, working the patch pressure from the middle out. You get one shot at applying the patch, so use the masking tape as a guide and be methodical. You shouldn't have any excess glue, as it needs to be thin layers, but any excess glue will be on the masking tape. Dust some talcum powder on it, get timber behind the tube and in front of it and whack on a couple of G-clamps to apply pressure evenly.

Don't even be tempted to check. Leave it 24-48 hours at least. Once you dismantle, remove the masking tape and pressure test. Hopefully job done.
Old 23 April 2020, 21:06   #4

Thanks for the reply, I'll investigate that and deflating and how I can get flat pressure onto the tube. That sounds like a decent approach.

No, it hasn't been painted. Temperature/humidity is important so hopefully it'll last into the weekend but the forecast is for cooler and change :-( Not that I'm going anywhere for a few weeks! hehe

Many thanks for the reply ands sound advice.
Old 24 April 2020, 15:28   #5

Re your Suggestion

This looks like a much more workable angle of attack, following your suggestion.

I don't think I'll get a clamp on it without putting stress on the lower seam, but I will be able to get uniform pressure for sure.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_162346.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	132835  
Old 02 September 2020, 11:59   #6

Town: Island Harbour, IOW
Boat name: Crumpet
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol
Send a message via Skype™ to deeeeps
Patching your RIB

Hi Charles,
I have just come back to the RIBNet forum after being away cruising and lockdown etc. I have just acquired a Wetline 320 PVC RIB dinghy which I am doing up for a friend. It was really wierd: I typed in 'how to repair a split in a PVC RIB dinghy and when I read your post it was exactly as I was about to write.

Question: how did you get on with the repair to your tube please? Do you have any advice you could offer?

Many thanks

Steve
Old 06 September 2020, 08:53   #7

Hi Steve, sorry for the delayed reply as have been away. I took the boat to the Rib Shop at Hamble Point Marina and had it professionally repaired. To do the job properly it needed patching inside and out and they did a good job.
Old 07 September 2020, 17:06   #8

Town: Island Harbour, IOW
Boat name: Crumpet
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol
Send a message via Skype™ to deeeeps
Many thanks Charles,
We have a lady here on the Isle of Wight, affectionately called 'Sue the Glue' who is the local expert on tube repairs. I have spoke with her a couple of times and she has provided good advice and is also prepared to do the repairs for us at a price. I am going to have a go myself with the fall back of Sue if I get it horribly wrong.

Thanks again
Regards
Steve

Tags
repair, rib