Old 04 December 2020, 11:21   #1

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
PVC clear fuel line

Having had a fuel supply issue, I need to insert a small section of clear fuel line to see flow of fuel.

I looked at various tubing and came up with this.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It will be located in the console out of the sunlight. Will this be OK and not collapse with the suction of the fuel pump. Anything I'm missing regards safety etc..
Old 04 December 2020, 22:31   #2

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Hi Ribber

If you are having a fuel supply issue, why would you want to install a piece of clear tubing to see if you are having a fuel supply issue, when you already know you have a fuel supply issue?

Installing another section of tubing adds to the problems of the fuel line by adding more joints.

Just do standard fuel system checks.
Old 05 December 2020, 09:01   #3

Good point, can't argue with that...

My pick up in the underdeck tank on occasions blocked with debris. Fuel bulb would collapse and starve engine of fuel.

Would have to undo fuel bulb and blow back to tank and release debris. Problem solved until the next time. My thinking being, a section of clear tube would show state of play, either sides of the bulb.

Small length of clear from fuel filter inlet to bulb, and a length of clear tube from bulb to tank. So not introducing any more connections than I have now.

Have run all fuel lines with new last year and all good.
Old 05 December 2020, 09:08   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Am I reading this right ?
You know the fuel line is being blocked by tank debris, but instead of cleaning the tank of the debris you’d rather insert some clear hose so you can now watch the problem happen again ???
Old 05 December 2020, 09:35   #5

Blimey I thought I only got the third degree from the wife....

Debris in the tank was a long story, ended up being surplus rubber gasket sealant from fuel sender.....Funnily enough, spent many hours syphoning out the tank with a clear plastic tube. Managed to see small bits of blue gasket sealant pass up the tube and felt confident I had removed everything. But I guess you can't be 100% sure.

On another occasion engine starved of fuel, it turned out to be a faulty primer bulb, collapsed and hard, I thought at the time, stranded in the Solent, it was the debris back again....

Perhaps if the tubes either side were clear, I could have diagnosed my problem quicker, rather than having to call Southampton Harbour Patrol to take me away from the main shipping channel.
Old 05 December 2020, 10:12   #6

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Some correct sized barbs and correct diameter hose won’t restrict fuel flow one bit! Guessing this is just a temp thing to diagnose? Seems like a logical thing to do to before involving yourself with a much bigger job, not sure why you’re getting so much grief! These days you have to assume fuel hose will last a couple years maybe, even gates hose doesn’t last mega long before going hard and cracking!

The item you’ve linked will work great for your need, seems a good idea to me.
Old 05 December 2020, 12:00   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Blimey I thought I only got the third degree from the wife....

Debris in the tank was a long story, ended up being surplus rubber gasket sealant from fuel sender.....Funnily enough, spent many hours syphoning out the tank with a clear plastic tube. Managed to see small bits of blue gasket sealant pass up the tube and felt confident I had removed everything. But I guess you can't be 100% sure.

On another occasion engine starved of fuel, it turned out to be a faulty primer bulb, collapsed and hard, I thought at the time, stranded in the Solent, it was the debris back again....

Perhaps if the tubes either side were clear, I could have diagnosed my problem quicker, rather than having to call Southampton Harbour Patrol to take me away from the main shipping channel.

Hardly think it’s third degree, just trying to figure out based on your original info, but hey ho, each to their own wife .......
Additional info about actually cleaning out debris in the tank has cleared things up here and hopefully more importantly the insides of your tank.
Hose will be fine.
Good luck.
Old 05 December 2020, 13:15   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
if its what you want to do then why not fit one of these at least your filtering as well they come apart for cleaning too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150875119845
Old 05 December 2020, 15:03   #9

Yes a good idea to put a second filter inline. My fuel/water filter is a metal screw on cartridge which doesn't really give a visual indication of what its trapped/filtered, so will add that glass one in, thanks.
The boat is 17 years old and although I'm careful with fuel, over time, a certain amount of contaminants may enter the tank.

Thanks for reply's and confirming clear tubing is OK to use with petrol as fuel line.
Old 05 December 2020, 17:18   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Yes a good idea to put a second filter inline. My fuel/water filter is a metal screw on cartridge which doesn't really give a visual indication of what its trapped/filtered, so will add that glass one in, thanks.

The boat is 17 years old and although I'm careful with fuel, over time, a certain amount of contaminants may enter the tank.

Thanks for reply's and confirming clear tubing is OK to use with petrol as fuel line.

I’m a big fan of these.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/produc...t-rac-23299-02
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2020, 18:01   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
With Dave on this wouldn't be without mine, once had a floating pick up with mesh on it never got blocked
Old 05 December 2020, 23:03   #12

Town: Cardiff
No idea if this is any good doesn’t mention fuel flow rate but £15.99

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1938...6306002610106/

“Tempo ‘’Ultra’’ view in line boat marine clear boat fuel filter, includes 6mm, 8mm, and lOmm. barbs for easy fitting to any boat fuel line. Has visible removable boat fuel filter. “
Old 06 December 2020, 10:09   #13

Length: 3m +
I'm very doubtful that a clear tube will let you see the problem. If the bulb collapsed you have no air. So either the tub collapses when the bulb does, collapses later as it's 'stiffer' or doesn't. But it won't have an air bubble or the bulb would pull the air into the bulb.

Underway, even if there was a bubble - you won't be seeing it. Your eyes should be on the ships.

You **may** see debris fly past. I doubt it. And if you do... You have a lot of big crud... #GameOver

Big crude sieve on the pickup, clear filter inline so you know if it is blocking up over time.