Old 22 July 2020, 20:34   #1

Town: Exeter
Boat name: -
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15hp
Purchasing a cobra rib

Hi guys
I’m after some advice, I’m looking at buying a cobra rib which is circa late 90’s, the man wants £15k for the boat complete with a 130hp yam v4 from the same era.
Is it ok to buy a 20 year old rib which still had the original tubes on it? (They look in very good condition)
Does this seem a fair price for a 20 year old boat?
Old 22 July 2020, 20:47   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Condition...Care...Hours... and Service History and I might add Electronics and Layout (if you have to spend funds to modify it on top of purchase price it may not be viable) to suit your needs are Paramount in valuing any RIB. By that definition ...Age alone may well not be
Same goes for the Trailer
If you're not confident to appraise it properly by all means get someone qualified who's judgement you trust to help...even if it costs it'll be money well spent!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 21:05   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwalms View Post
Hi guys

I’m after some advice, I’m looking at buying a cobra rib which is circa late 90’s, the man wants £15k for the boat complete with a 130hp yam v4 from the same era.

Is it ok to buy a 20 year old rib which still had the original tubes on it? (They look in very good condition)

Sounds expensive to me.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 22:15   #4

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwalms View Post
Hi guys
Broadly speaking, assuming basic structural integrity of the hull, there are three things that can cost you a pile of money on a rib:

- replacing tubes
- replacing engine
- replacing electronics

If you are practical, the engine can be swapped at relatively low cost and the electronics replaced relatively cheaply. The tubes will cost you a grand per meter of boat.

If you are not practical, they are all going to cost a wad of cash to sort.

On a boat of this age / type, I’d wager the value is approx 30% engine, 30% tubes, 30% electronics and 10% hull. A bare hull is almost worthless.

It’s possible in your ownership this rib will need all three things replaced.

In your situation, I’d look for a boat where someone else has already spent a pile of money on it.
Old 22 July 2020, 22:34   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Sounds expensive to me.
Me too! that engine although pretty robust will have a big thirst for fuel considering & its on an old boat I agree with pikey its a bit dear
Old 23 July 2020, 06:00   #6

Town: Exeter
Boat name: -
Make: Honwave
Engine: 15hp
I’m not sure about the electronics but it’s had new throttle cables, recently reupholsted, trailer is like brand new.
The tubes are original but are apparently in very good condition.
I would want to change the engine at a later date so not too concerned about the engine, it was serviced over the winter.
I thought it seemed expensive but I can’t find a Cobra rib for under £15k, they seem to be very expensive ribs
Old 23 July 2020, 08:03   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Broadly speaking, assuming basic structural integrity of the hull, there are three things that can cost you a pile of money on a rib:

- replacing tubes
- replacing engine
- replacing electronics

If you are practical, the engine can be swapped at relatively low cost and the electronics replaced relatively cheaply. The tubes will cost you a grand per meter of boat.

If you are not practical, they are all going to cost a wad of cash to sort.

On a boat of this age / type, I’d wager the value is approx 30% engine, 30% tubes, 30% electronics and 10% hull. A bare hull is almost worthless.

It’s possible in your ownership this rib will need all three things replaced.

In your situation, I’d look for a boat where someone else has already spent a pile of money on it.
^ Solid advice, IMO
Old 23 July 2020, 09:35   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Having passed no comment on if this RIB was worth the money or otherwise...(and obviously the op quoted "asking price".... Not always what get!
I'd still like to know things like how many owners?...how many hours it's done?...what service history it has....equipment it has?...(and what's been replaced?)..how it's been stored..what condition the trailer is in? Ect.
It's really is ALL about condition...
I'd rather have a well cared for and cosseted low hours high spec regularly polished and stored inside ..looked after RIB than a newer thrashed abused low spec model owned by a Dick "flash in the Pan" boater with no knowledge..as a starting point.

I just bought a low mileage 20+ year old Mercedes Estate for what a lot of people would think was BIG money all things considered..but with FSH folder full of invoices 1owner 32k and immaculate throughout...with well over 30yrs making a decent living as a Motor trader ...
I'm pretty confident it'll turn a nice profi!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib