Click Here to Login

Old 02 July 2013, 12:35   #1

Town: Greatham, Hampshire
Boat name: Sandy Alex
Make: sr4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55dt
Pulled the trigger on an SR4.....couple of queries

Hi, have just bought an SR4 which is great...
couple of queries and more will follow i am sure,

When in the harbour the telltale on the Suzuki 55DT was a lot weaker than the telltale on my old 4 stroke, is this normal? i have booked it in for a service at fairweather marine just in case, who didnt seem keen to look at the suzuki....
also how long would you give an engine on double muffs to produce a telltale? 10 secs? 20 secs?
Looking to get a fishfinder come gps and was thinking about the placement of the transducer, clearly above the hull is out, but would you place it inside the flooding hull or get a transducer that is screwed to the back?
Does anyone have a FF/GPS for sale? would like it pre loaded with detailed charts...
The fuel tank at the back is 25l, i would like to get 2 tanks that may have to be taller but have a combined capacity of 50 or so.. are there such things as taller slimmer fuel tanks? i have had a breif look and cant find any.

i would like to make the boat not only comfy for me but comfy for the family,...., are bow seats easy to get hold of? also suicide seat or stern bench seat?
Apologies in advance for all the stupid questions i will be asking, i have read most of the SR4 posts so as to be as smaller burden as possible.
Old 02 July 2013, 13:12   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I used to have an SR4, not a lot of room on them at all for a family.
There is an absolutely HUGE amount of useful information on here about all things SR4.
I suggest as a start you have a good trawl through the previous posts as a lot of your questions will probably already have been answered, especially how peeps have managed seating arrangements in such a tight space. Tall and narrow fuel tanks are a little difficult to find, again you have to have a good trawl on the web to see whats out there, but having just undertaken a similar exercise myself in search of narrow fuel tanks, I would check out the Plastimo fuel tank/jerry can, which I believe is 22 litres and was about the narrowest one I could find. Dimensions on their web site. If thats too wide, you will have to look at a 10 litre or 12 litre tank. Good luck.
Old 02 July 2013, 13:24   #3

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
interesting, Im thinking of buying one and putting a suzuki 55 on it, have you any dea what speed yours does?

what's a suicide seat?

I think i'm just going to have a centre console on mine, possibly big enough for two, and leave it at that, if I have any more on board i'll just take it easy and they can sit on the sponsons or whatever gear we have with us...

I would consider adding a small raise bow locker and making a cushion to set on tp in a few years time....
Old 02 July 2013, 13:25   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have one of these in my original console fits a treat 22.7 L Fuel Tank Petrol Boat Outboard Motor Engine 5 G | eBay

I also use a large ice box for extra seating & storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 103.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	82323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 113.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	82324  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2013, 13:29   #5

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
I'd say the first thing worth checking if you are worried about tell tale strength is your impellor..
Old 02 July 2013, 14:39   #6

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I also use a large ice box for extra seating & storage.
ahhhhhh............ so that's what the eye bolts are for, how many lolly's can you fit in the ice box Nick

MES Marine have a good stock of unusual sized fuel tanks, maybe worth giving them a call or looking in the online catalogue....MES Marine Limited. Jetski and Boat Sales, Service, Repair. Yamaha Waverunner FX VX SHO Cruiser FZR FZS, Kawasaki Jet ski, Mercury Outboards, Tohatsu Outboards, Europa Sport RIBs and Inflatable Boats, Ocean Kayak, Discount Prices!
Old 02 July 2013, 14:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridge View Post
Hi, have just bought an SR4 which is great...

Looking to get a fishfinder come gps and was thinking about the placement of the transducer, clearly above the hull is out, but would you place it inside the flooding hull or get a transducer that is screwed to the back?
I've looked for similar for my SR4 and keeping the flooding hull, I don't think you have much choice other than to go with transom mounted transducer, I don't think you would have much success with a thru hull transducer and a flooding hull but if you find it works let me know

I like the look of the Garmin 750 series chartplotters, may wait to see if there are any end of season offers
Old 02 July 2013, 14:51   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
My transducer is bonded to the inside of outer hull and cable comes through the upper deck mid deck with a deck gland etc.
Personally im not in favour of sticking them on the transom. looks messy and prone to breaking n shit. hide them out the way..
My hull is blocked off. Not a lot of room for any other seating as pics show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR4 Sept 2012 017.jpg
Views:	1965
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	82328   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	82329  
Old 02 July 2013, 16:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
My transducer is bonded to the inside of outer hull and cable comes through the upper deck mid deck with a deck gland etc.
Personally im not in favour of sticking them on the transom. looks messy and prone to breaking n shit. hide them out the way..
My hull is blocked off. Not a lot of room for any other seating as pics show
I think I may block my hull off at some point, but I'll try it flooding first. Did you put a inspection hatch in your deck to bond the transducer in Matt, or just struggle through the hole in the transom?

I'm just going for a console and twin jockey seat set up to keep the rear deck area free, got to leave room for a icebox now I've seen what Nick has fitted
Old 02 July 2013, 16:41   #10

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
blocking does help a lot on take off, im running the yam 40 f/s which is heavier than the two stroke, it was doing the stern dance on take off, now it just dances on command.. I bonded the transducer through the rear hole. and sat it down on a thick bed of silicone and squished it to the floor. the connector was passed up thought the centre of the hull 1/2 way up an pulled through a pre cut hole going through a deck gland (home made)
depth sounder works perfectly
Old 02 July 2013, 16:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
blocking does help a lot on take off, im running the yam 40 f/s which is heavier than the two stroke, it was doing the stern dance on take off, now it just dances on command.. I bonded the transducer through the rear hole. and sat it down on a thick bed of silicone and squished it to the floor. the connector was passed up thought the centre of the hull 1/2 way up an pulled through a pre cut hole going through a deck gland (home made)
depth sounder works perfectly
yeh, though that take off may be a bit sluggish, but there again that may not be a bad thing at my age I'll have another look at bonding the transducer in when the hull comes back with new console / jockey seats fitted, but in no rush to fit a gps / chartploter yet, got all winter to sort that out. we fitted a thru hull transducer along with a garmin 4008 to the revenger a few years back, brilliant piece of kit, but expensive when compared to the 720/50