Old 29 June 2014, 16:48   #1

Town: Herne Bay
Length: 3m +
Prowave SIB and Selva OB

Hi

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of either prowave sib's, namely the sport HP-V series

PROWAVE INFLATABLES

and/or selva outboards, namely the 9.9hp Pirhana.

:: OutBoard Direct ::

I am looking to get my first boat soon, would appreciate any general advice also, taking powerboat level 2 course asap, intended use= family fun, inshore cruising, rivers

thanks in advance

Richard
Old 29 June 2014, 18:51   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Hi

A good place to start is Max's excellent sib advice thread over on Inflatable boats:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

To try and answer your questions directly. The Prowave is a standard generic Chinese sib, no better or worse than any of the others. I will say that it looks to be well speced for a reasonable price. But the general advice is always to buy a brand name over a little known boat. I would think the Honwave T38 is the closest to that boat and it will be worth a lot more used than the Prowave ever will.

Selva have never been popular in the UK, the 2 strokes were plagued with problems and are very unloved on the used market. But the company do seem to have turned a corner and I believe they have now teamed up with Yamaha to produce some of the new engines. The specs for that engine look great and the weight is really good for a 4 stroke.

However most of us prefer 2 strokes on sibs, they are lighter, rev better and just seem to match sibs better.

Is it a good combination as a starter boat ? Yep, its not bad, the boat will probably plane with 2 up and do 15-20 kts. Its big enough to feel safe but is transportable thanks to the airfloor and relativly light weight engine. But be warned, speed is addictive and you will be after a bigger engine sooner rather than later
Old 29 June 2014, 19:31   #3

Town: Herne Bay
Length: 3m +
Thanks Pirate, will check out that thread, I had heard that Selva had teamed up with Yamaha also, the main draw of those engines for me is the weight ( price seems pretty good too), I am looking to launch using launch wheels only so intend on transporting the boat deflated in my car. Will take on board (no pun intended) what you have said regarding named brands and chinese imports,