Old 12 January 2007, 10:11   #21

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Thanks guys for the interesting aside! ... but I could still do with some advice on the accepted ways of purchasing .... bearing in mind I don't use credit-cards
Old 12 January 2007, 10:26   #22
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Drive over and save yourself time. That's what I did.

Just drove over with cash, but of course told the seller that i'd be doing a bank transfer (Don't want some stranger knowing you have lots of cash in your pocket). Then when you like the boat and want to buy it, whip out the cash and start haggling
Old 12 January 2007, 11:11   #23

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Then when you like the boat and want to buy it, whip out the cash and start haggling
then bring the boat back with you so that you have physical possession of it as soon as you hand over the notes and getta receipt-we have been stopped twice by the police on the way to the ferry terminal whilst towing boats. They were on the look out for stolen boats etc being taken over the water. So some proof of identity and a recpt is not a bad idea and saves a lot of time.
Old 12 January 2007, 11:13   #24
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
then bring the boat back with you so that you have physical possession of it as soon as you hand over the notes and getta receipt-we have been stopped twice by the police on the way to the ferry terminal whilst towing boats. They were on the look out for stolen boats etc being taken over the water. So some proof of identity and a recpt is not a bad idea and saves a lot of time.
Of course take the boat with you there and then! Hence why I said to just drive over in the first place. The thing I wouldn't trust with leaving a deposit, and going back to Ireland for your jeep is that some bit's could be removed in the meantime.

Get a receipt with the signature of the seller! I had no problems coming back on the Ferry but you make a good point, Police could be on the lookout for stolen boats being transported
Old 12 January 2007, 11:17   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Trouble with cash is how the hell do you know it is not counterfeit?
I would not let a boat go till I knew I had the money in the bank!
Sold my rib B4 Christmas & had the chap pay by debit card when he picked it up, but then you do have to have access to a card machine!
He told me he would pay by a bankers draft when he collected, but how do you know it is not counterfeit ether?
Old 12 January 2007, 11:20   #26

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Trouble with cash is how the hell do you know it is not counterfeit?
I would not let a boat go till I knew I had the money in the bank!
Sold my rib B4 Christmas & had the chap pay by debit card when he picked it up, but then you do have to have access to a card machine!
He told me he would pay by a bankers draft when he collected, but how do you know it is not counterfeit ether?

Bankers Drafts are NOT secure. If it's cash go with buyer to Bank and pay it in then and there. Tellers will check notes.....
Old 12 January 2007, 12:38   #27

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
I think the exact arrangements will depend on who you're buying from.

A dealer or manufacturer selling new boats is likely to have a more set routine than an indiividual selling their own boat.

Would seem fair to say
Sea trial
Agreement + deposit
Cleared payment before/on collection

If you're buying new, agree a definite delivery date (although force majeure can still cover backsides) and agree ALL the items to be installed. Don't assume that because it's on the demo boat it will appear on yours.

I'm sure you'll gather from the forum the firms you might want to deal with.

With credit cards, you don't need to pay the full amount on the card to get protection against all of it. So you could just pay a deposit (at least £100) on your card and the rest some other way. This is for UK issued cards - don't know what the law is in Ireland.
Old 12 January 2007, 13:18   #28

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
No deposit with mine
I told the broker i would buy the boat subject to all the usual stuff, Then a few days later went to the bank and did a electonic transfer of funds, then he gave me the keys!!
Easy...
Old 12 January 2007, 13:30   #29
alt

You have a point about the counferfit cash thing. Infact, a boat i'm currently interested in, the seller says he doesn't want cash incase of counterfit, but WILL Accept a bankdraft.... I don't think he spends enough time reading on the internet!

When I Was paying for the last boat in cash, it was in a sealed bank envelope, all nice and clean crisp notes with a withdrawl receipt... It would have been much easier getting a bank draft but I thought nearly everyone would accept cash?
Old 13 January 2007, 12:21   #30

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Its hoses for coarses .I find by taking cash to a private sale there is the potential to get the best deal posible and dont expect to go back.However when buying from the trade you would normaly have some fallback but theirs a price to pay .And well worth it if your unsure but of hope their honest.Do remember some outboards will have up to 3 yr warenty the hulls 5 yr or is it the tubes.On the day if unsured dont part with your money .there will be another deal to be had round the corner.
Old 13 January 2007, 21:07   #31

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Sorry we don't take credit cards!
Well that's dam inconvenient!!! I was comming down next week to place an order.

I guess I'll go to Humber instead .

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 11:49   #32

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
I had this problem with a car I sold a year or two ago on Ebay.
Bloke came down from Scotland on Christmas Eve, with a wallet full of UK and Scottish £50 notes. Made him let me bank it before handing over the car and letting him disappear. the bank checked all £5k with a pen, amongst their other checks. Was one of the most nervewracking moments of my life, but well worth it for the peace of mind.

If you're buying private, and asked to pay cash, make sure you can take it away with you on the day. If asked to pay a deposit, should not be more than a small amount, say £100, not too much to lose if seller not honest, and gives seller some committment you'll be coming back with the full payment.

Just my two penniworth.
Old 14 January 2007, 15:27   #33

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I was told the other day by Steve at Fineways(Avon dealer)That by law a person is entitled to any deposit back even after placing an order for a new boat and changing their minds.It happened to him with the hardboat someone ordered that Wayne Rogers then bought.A small deposite is really the only real way to TRY to hold something would work better in the shops and dealer.Most private sellers would feel uneasey leaving very long between deposit and pick up.On the day when you find the right boat see if you cant have someones phone number you can ring just to talk it through .You may need to go away for an hour whilst your mate makes say enquireys for parts ,also take with you boats and outboard magazine for reference
Old 14 January 2007, 16:22   #34

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Why not try and stick to someone who's on RIBNET. I know its always not possible but if they've been posting regularly they've got quite a lot to lose as its likely they will be quite well known amongst RIBNETers. Certainly on somewhere like the south coast its easy to get to know who's who.
And as Pete7 said, RIBNET is much more than just about being a RIB owner. Its a pretty good forum for all sorts.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:50   #35

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Well that's dam inconvenient!!! I was comming down next week to place an order.

I guess I'll go to Humber instead .
I'm sure that we could come to some sort of arrangement - my bank manager is very friendly and I'm sure we could sort something out by the time we had sorted out all of the extras that you'll want with the boat .......... and then thee are all the colour choices, engines etc!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2007, 18:51   #36

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
You Gotta be kidding me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA View Post
here we go

the law does not change and yes you are protected . if a company goes bust the largest creditors come first namley h.m.g

then everyone else in order . you are still protected !

you just hope thers enough left for you

if you buy something and tow it away whats the problem ?
if you think that they might not be there when you have paid them a few hundred quid . dont pay them a few hundred quid its easy

as for liabilaty if its new and you have the goods the liablaty always transfers vertical i.e. to distributor then manafactor

or heres a good way go from recomendation

What is with the "Here we go"
I am not sure what planet you are on Riva.

With regard to the largest creditors being paid first, It is my experience that the Liquidators get paid first and the rest get paid after the Value has been exploited and the remaining creditors get very little or nothing" years later"
When it comes to doing a deal, if someone wants to charge me 1.2% for the privelage of doing business with them, they better give me great value or else get lost.
With regard to "If you buy something and tow it away, whats the problem" This is particularly naive and I am just wondering on your business backround Riva. Let me tell something to Jou!!!! what happens if there is a Lease on this product you just towed away" Oh yeah, you get to tow it back again....

To quote the Great "Tiger Woods" Ya gotta be kidding me"
Old 15 January 2007, 19:00   #37

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
[QUOTE=blimp;181440] Need help again!

Travelling to UK next week in the hope of buying a rib. I'm flying in, so the plan is to agree a deal and come back later with the jeep to take it home. Question is what's the correct protocol in terms of agreements and payments - both for a new boat and a used boat?

Hi Blimp, You are the Client, My suggestion is that you set your own Protocol and if they do not like it, to hell with them.
If I was you I would give them a very small deposit (as in very small) and just facilitate yourself as to the product as you are paying for your own Journey.

The most important thing is that there is no finance in existance on the boat. I would not give a manufacturer very much of a deposit and I would give a reseller even less.

On saying that, I am doing a deal with a person on a Boat and I am comfortable with the deal and much of it is based on mutual trust. I have given no money but my word in that I will buy it. He has taken it off site and is waiting for me. I will buy that boat if I am alive, come Hail rain or snow. The only thing that will alter the outcome is if the person wishes to keep ontohis own boat. this is allowable in my books.

Are you buying new from dealer or other in UK?
PS I am also from the Great city and Capital of Cork.
Pity about two people on trawler boats , what happened, I posted a thead to find out as I was away in USA.
Old 15 January 2007, 21:08   #38

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Hi Aidan, (this is strange as that's also my 'real' name!)

Don't know yet whether it will be a dealer or private. At present I have three sea-trials 99% confirmed - two with dealers, one with private (Osprey 7m, Leeway 630, Humber 7m). 2 of the boats are second-hand, one is new. Also plan to visit some other brokers to see what they have. It's a real mixed-bag I'm afraid, but I'm pretty sure as to what our requirements are.

Just also want to thank all those that have posted replies - messages understood!

I'll keep this thread updated as to how things progressed in case it can be of any help to anyone else in the future.
Old 16 January 2007, 08:03   #39

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
re cash

as i understand it you are not supposed to accept more than £8k in cash if you are a dealer (CAR Trade) due to money laundering laws ?

i saw a notice to this effect in one of my local car dealership

so best check first

Andy
Old 16 January 2007, 08:33   #40

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
as i understand it you are not supposed to accept more than £8k in cash if you are a dealer (CAR Trade) due to money laundering laws ?
You can take more thn 8k just have to be registered with customs and excise and get the customer to fill in a decleration form.

Most of our customers pay debit or credit card (we dont charge a premium as our credit card rates are .6% / .8% somthing like that, this way were both safe.

Jono