Old 05 October 2003, 18:54   #1

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
ProSport Ribs (Guernsey)

I was fortunate enough to spend the best part of Saturday at Jason Norman's worskshops in Guernsey where the ProSport Ribs are built.
I was most impressed with the friendliness of Martin and Jason, the build quality, attention to detail and great attitude which I find most lacking in many rib-builders these days. Nothing was too difficult...most anything we changed or added on the new 8.5 was no problem and collectively we 'specced' up a fantastic rib.
Obviously the proverbial proof is in the pudding......... and when my friend takes delivery of his new rib I will certainly give the forum feed-back. At this stage though, I can certainly recommend Prosport to any prospective buyer, as Jason says: ' Why buy second-hand when you can buy new' for a fraction more.
Old 05 October 2003, 19:17   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Credit

Not enough people are willing to give credit where credit is due its easy to complain and grumble , its nice to hear such positive comments about a company and be able to compliment someone for their work and setup cheers and we well done gavin power

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2003, 06:36   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Nice looking RIBīs would like to be posted information when your friend will receive his boat. What special requests did you make ?
Old 06 October 2003, 08:03   #4

Well, the standard package is definitely worth while, although there were a number of things we changed or added, as it is the perfect opportunity to do so at the time of 'speccing' up a rib.
Starting from the bow (Jason will forgive me as a number of things come as standard and I might mention them), we wanted a dedicated anchor locker, large enough so as not to struggle getting a larger anchor in, and out the way. A decent sampson post will be provided in this area. A bulkhead will then seperate a cavernous locker, which drops down into the hull which is almost 6 feet long. This is accessed through one or two large lewmar hatches. There are a choice of consoles, although these can be modified to conform exactly to your criteria. Again , a large lewmar is on the front of the console for aesy access and storage under the double console seat.
We chose console 1 as shown. The power will be provided by a Suzuki 250Hp 4 stroke which comes with a tachometer and accompanying displays for temp, oil etc. The choice of GPS is a Garmin 180 and an ICOM 601 (DSC) VHF. A through hull transducer will feed into a single VDO depth gauge, completely seperate from anything else. The fuel tank is GRP (380l)and is integral to the hull with access to breather and filler pipes as well as sender unit through a hatch neatly concealed on the deck 'in' the console.
I was particularly impressed at the neat installation of all the wiring and looms inside the console with seriously beefy water-proof trip switch box - photo to follow. Seating are jockey seats, two singles up front with 2 doubles immediately behind with an integral aft bench seat. Double A-frame with welded cleats higher up so as to provide a clear run for mooring lines, this prevents the tubes chafing. The A-frame will support a 2m Glomex aerial, gps antennae fitted flush onto a plate with 2 s/s flag poles. In the centre will be powerful light, as well as the obligatory nav lights.
The wind-screen and s/s rail have not been fitted yet but can be seen in the next photograph.
Old 06 October 2003, 08:04   #5

Console 2
Old 06 October 2003, 08:07   #6

Inside the console.
This paricular rib had a very clever additional water tank mounted aft of the fuel tank. A pipe lead up to a pump on demand water-pump visible in the photo. On the front of the console (outside) is a sturdy outlet where a hose can be plugged into allowing for a freash-water shower after diving or skiing as well as to hose the deck down etc. I really liked it!
Old 06 October 2003, 08:10   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
I was particularly impressed at the neat installation of all the wiring and looms inside the console with seriously beefy water-proof trip switch box - photo to follow. .
Sounds great,

I'd be very interested in seeing the pictures as I am generally dismayed by the standard of wiring that I have found on my Ribs

Looks like you posted it whilst I was replying.

what are the three boxes along the port side of the console, please
Old 06 October 2003, 08:12   #8

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Oh, very nice!

Looks good

with the 250 on the back should go some as well
Old 06 October 2003, 08:18   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by thewavehumper

what are the three boxes along the port side of the console, please
Stuart, Jason would be better placed to id each of them, but I do know that some if not all are the trip switch boxes I was referring to earlier.
Old 06 October 2003, 08:33   #10

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
C'mon Jason don't be shy! They look like IP65 MCB's to me. also I notice a wiring box underneath the MCB's is that IP65 as well.

Do you fit these as standard on all your Ribs, if so for how long and what is the failure rate like (if any).

Cheers Stuart
Old 06 October 2003, 20:39   #11

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Is that illegal use of a greenhouse I see Jason
Old 06 October 2003, 21:14   #12

Make: Pro-Sport
Length: 5m +
MCB'S

We fit MCB's as a standard item much better than trying to carry fuses etc... all fitted into a neat housing to protect from the elements
Old 07 October 2003, 02:02   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Nice pictures Charles, I look forward hearing from Jason to my email to him yesterday, I may have to make a trip to Guernsey by the end of the year or early 2004 will they be at Excel in London ?
Old 09 October 2003, 06:31   #14

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Pro Sport 9m

Subject to me chatting to the guys at the Suxuki open day on friday about the warranty on the new V6 Fours strokes and few last negotiations with Jason we will be placing an order for a 9m with twin Suzuki 250 v6 four strokes. it will be used as my toy and for teaching advanced and commercial courses.

I cant wait....
Old 09 October 2003, 07:30   #15

Re: Pro Sport 9m

Quote:
Originally posted by JAHNO
twin Suzuki 250 v6 four strokes.
Now you're talking..........
Old 09 October 2003, 08:15   #16

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Re: Pro Sport 9m

Quote:
Originally posted by JAHNO
Subject to me chatting to the guys at the Suxuki open day on friday about the warranty on the new V6 Fours strokes and few last negotiations with Jason we will be placing an order for a 9m with twin Suzuki 250 v6 four strokes. it will be used as my toy and for teaching advanced and commercial courses.

I cant wait....
my new best friend
Old 09 October 2003, 12:55   #17

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Re: MCB'S

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Norman
We fit MCB's as a standard item much better than trying to carry fuses etc... all fitted into a neat housing to protect from the elements
Can you tell us a source for the MCB's Please
Old 09 October 2003, 14:29   #18

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
have done several refits on rib and have installed garage consumer boxes that have custom made mounting plates for Index Marine breakers, this means no spare fuses have to be carried and conduit can be lead to and fitted to the boxes. the best and neatest way to wire up any boat. screwfix or RS components are good sources for these boxes.

cheers

butty