Click Here to Login

Old 16 July 2010, 07:23   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Pros and cons - Searider 4.7 vs 5.4?

Just to sort of follow up my earlier topic on a first RIB - the Searider seems a really loved boat on the forum - looking to get one of these or maybe the equivilent Ribcraft/Ribtec.

This may be academic as the 4.7 SR seems really, really scarce compared to the 5.4 but would welcome comments from users.

Need reasonable seats for four + and good skiing ability - on paper the internal size difference looks small - about 50cm length and just 2cm beam although in the pic attached it 'looks' more impressive. Can you seat four comfortably in a 4.7? Are additional seats better at the back or a small bench in the bow?

Also it seems for the performance I need the 4.7 would be OK with a 60 but the 5.4 needs a 90 - is there much difference in running costs?

My garage is exactly 5.6m long door to wall - it's a double so could go a bit diagonal but I'm guesing the 5.4 will make it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.7 and 5.4.jpg
Views:	5378
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	52808  
Old 16 July 2010, 08:50   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
My garage is exactly 5.6m long door to wall - it's a double so could go a bit diagonal but I'm guesing the 5.4 will make it...
...not if it's sat on a braked road trailer!

My garage is 5.7M, and I can only just fit a 5M Humber lengthwise with the engine hard against the carpet I nailed to the back wall & the tip of the hitch about 1/4" clear of the door.

For a 5.4 diagonal is your only option, unless you can go unbraked.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:58   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
... maybe the equivilent Ribcraft/Ribtec....
Before Rogue Wave gets in here, there is no equivalent RIB to the SR4.7

Quote:
Need reasonable seats for four + and good skiing ability - on paper the internal size difference looks small - about 50cm length and just 2cm beam although in the pic attached it 'looks' more impressive. Can you seat four comfortably in a 4.7? Are additional seats better at the back or a small bench in the bow?
If you keep the standard SR4.7 jockey console, there's room for a bench seat behind, but it would be a bit tight. The SR5.4 could seat 4 on a double jockey behind the main console.
SR4.7 has a constant deep vee hull, so needs a fair bit of power to get up on the plane - the flooding hull doesn't help. You should get away with 60hp for skiing, provided the boat isn't too heavily laden. I'd suggest you seal off the flooding hull and you may need a finer pitch prop for deep water starts.

Quote:
Also it seems for the performance I need the 4.7 would be OK with a 60 but the 5.4 needs a 90 - is there much difference in running costs?
Comparing 'old school' carb motors, a 5.4 with a 90 will use roughly 20% more fuel than a 4.7 with a 60, if the boat is used predominantly for skiing.

Quote:
My 4.7, on the trailer with the motor down measures 5.4m overall length and the trailer doesn't have a particularly long drawbar.
Old 16 July 2010, 20:30   #4

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
all of the above..

I have owned 4m, 5.4m and currently am awaiting delivery of a 4.7m. 4m is fun but too small, 5.4m is a great sea boat and goes well with 60 - 90hp. Have been in 4.7 and is a good inbetween boat.
bigger the boat the lets cramped it gets with 4 people in. Jockey console is better seating for absorbing shock if 'accidently' end up wave jumping..
I am going to be refurbing the 4.7 just bought and will prob go for a 3 / 4 man centre console custom build, unless I can find a 60 - 70hp tiller control 2 stroke for ludicrous fun!
4m and 50hp gives a fair amount of power for skiing. longer hull is better tho.
Old 16 July 2010, 23:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbaws View Post
I am going to be refurbing the 4.7 just bought...
Old 17 July 2010, 06:55   #6

Thanks a lot guys - very useful info indeed - the 4.7m seems the best option all thing taken into account but searching all the usual for sale places they seem virtually unobtainable. Guessing from the 'supply and demand' situation with these if one in good usable condition did come up it would be un-realistically priced and poor value compared to newer boats.

If anyone has a 4.7 SR for sale let me know but what's the best affordable and 'findable' alternative to a 4.7 SR??
Old 17 July 2010, 07:43   #7

Downhilldai - thanks for your post on the other topic too - I'll post here or it will all get duplicated. I may have to up the budget but compared to an aged and possibly overpriced SR something like this Ribcraft below looks a superb boat and good value looking at the age/spec/history and extras included:

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/Client...5-2CD2C13968D8
Old 17 July 2010, 07:47   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Speak to Matt H, he's thinking of selling the sr4.7 he's just done.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 17:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Speak to Matt H, he's thinking of selling the sr4.7 he's just done.
That's not like matt - selling a boat before the paint's dried
Old 17 July 2010, 18:06   #10

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Max my double garage is 18 ft x 16ft 6in and my rib is 4.7 meters on top of an indespension roller trailer I have 2 single doors 7ft x 6ft 6in I can just get it in diagonally but if I wanted to I can shorten the draw bar by another 12ins and it would go in straight.

Hope this helps ,

Steve.
Old 18 July 2010, 08:00   #11

Cheers guys. Matt very kindly PM'd me a heads up on his boat - it's a stunner but unfortunately out of my league. I'm sure he won't mind this link to it below:

http://inflatables.apolloduck.co.uk/...html?id=153820

Reckon I'll end up with a 4.8 Ribcraft as an alternative - one advantage seems to be the internal size which is 3.9/1.2 compared to 3.4/1.07 for the 4.7 SR.
Old 18 July 2010, 15:49   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
[QUOTE=Downhilldai;360897] Before Rogue Wave gets in here, there is no equivalent RIB to the SR4.7

You have learned well grasshopper! For you the path of enlightenment is well travelled.

Max

I've had both boats 4.7/70 and a 5.4/90 and yearn to own another 4.7. I found it a bit more fun to drive than the 5.4 and the 70 was more economical than the 90 by about 30 percent. if i was diving or waterskiing a fair bit I'd go for the bigger boat. the only reason I sold my 4.7 was becuase I was an idiot!

With a 70 the 4.7 goes like a rocket but she took on a strong chine walk circa 35 knots the 5.4 is more stable under power and an easier cruising boat. I got into a pi££ing contest with Seariders brother in their 5.4 in Southampton water and we were both going flat out. I could keep up but couldn't get past but to be fair he did seem to be more stable in the water

You could always have a trailer with a folding front bit

If you buy the Ribcraft (fine ribs ) never let yourself drive a SR 4.7 cos then you'll know you made a mistake
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 17:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
If you buy the Ribcraft (fine ribs ) never let yourself drive a SR 4.7 cos then you'll know you made a mistake
True