Old 13 October 2013, 21:15   #61

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
De internashunul rools faw de prevenshun ov ribnobburs collidin att see sez de a flagg shud bee rijjid

Yorrs luks a bitt limmp

Rool 27 sez it shud av a ard onn
Old 13 October 2013, 22:03   #62
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Would a 4.5Kg Danforth style with 6m of 8mm chain hold in most (relatively sheltered) situations? Or do I need the 7Kg one?
An anchor is an essential piece of safety equipment - you shouldn't specify it only for sheltered conditions. The time you REALLY need it will be a F6 with a lee shore blowing you onto rocks and the master fuse has blown...
Old 13 October 2013, 22:13   #63

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Yeah, that's true. I think I'll be leaning towards the heavier one (around 7kg).

Does anyone have an idea of a good "all rounder" anchor? I've heard the Bruce is pretty good in most seabed types?
Old 13 October 2013, 22:49   #64

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Yeah, that's true. I think I'll be leaning towards the heavier one (around 7kg).

Does anyone have an idea of a good "all rounder" anchor? I've heard the Bruce is pretty good in most seabed types?
Delta, similar to the CQR but solid instead of hinged and sold by Simpson Lawrence, who AFAIK don't exist now. Someone will still sell the Delta though, but if you see a copy, make sure that the pointy end is weighted i.e. is solid.

I use a 4.1kg Delta, 5m 8mm chain, 5m 6mm chain and 20m 12mm anchorplait rope on my 5.3m RIB which, with tent deployed has the windage of a house. Never had problems, even in very strong winds. I do a lot of anchoring.

Bruce are very good, but there have been concerns that the small ones are not good at digging in to a hard bottom, because they don't have a pointy bit. They were designed for anchoring oil rigs and the first ones were huge. I've stood beside one that weighed 10 tons. I have a feeling that, like the standard stockless anchor used by the vast majority of large ships, they do not scale down to small sizes efficiently, and the Danforth type (Fortress) or CQR/Delta plough types are better in small sizes.
Old 14 October 2013, 06:09   #65

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
An anchor is an essential piece of safety equipment - you shouldn't specify it only for sheltered conditions. The time you REALLY need it will be a F6 with a lee shore blowing you onto rocks and the master fuse has blown...
well that's just my point, there are plenty of family's who love their rib for nice sunny days, but if there's any chance of a F6 they won't be going out, I know it can always blow up while you are out and you need to take that into account but a line has to be drawn somewhere with what kit to carry on board!
Old 14 October 2013, 08:32   #66

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
The anchor is a very useful and crucial bit of safety equipment that is often overlooked. There is a compromise though; It needs to be compact enough to stow easily aboard and not get in the way, but be up to the job of holding you in a bit of a blow and in deep water in an emergency

For my SR4 I have ordered a 2 kg Bruce 8m of chain and 30m of warp. That should be enough to deploy and hold in up to 12m of depth and would slow my drift in more depth, and the large amount of chain should keep the prossibly undersized anchor horizontal on the seabed. In an emergency I could add another 12m of warp by joining mooring lines to the anchor warp.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 17:01   #67

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Cheers for the flag advice, your correct - I will need three then.