Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
[QUOTE=Orwell boy;856555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Anchor locker done away with, it was hopeless anyway. Deck glassed in over.

Now where you going to put your bag of stones

Click image for larger version

Name:	3e67e8e9-60cb-4b60-861d-edcc0aa57b7d.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	141292
Old 16 August 2022, 21:47   #62

RIBase
Getting down to the bit I’ve been putting off…drilling console.

For such a big console there’s very little room on it, even less for wiring.

For some reason things look squint, it’s not like that in real life.. I hope.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4709.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	141328

Name:	IMG_4713.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	141325

Name:	IMG_4714.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	141326

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	141327
Old 16 August 2022, 22:33   #63

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
When mine was built I was impressed by receiving this photo for approval of the layout:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23894CC1-6A1C-41F8-93A1-396E2B8A2A86.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	141329  
Old 17 August 2022, 07:14   #64

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
When mine was built I was impressed by receiving this photo for approval of the layout:
ah, they marked the swage lines in the console, why didnt I think of that

I see they have put the engine control one inch closer to the steering wheel that I have. Do you have a picture of your finished console? Ive laid out my controls dead centre.

They also have a shortage in masking tape
Old 17 August 2022, 08:40   #65

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

I see they have put the engine control one inch closer to the steering wheel that I have. Do you have a picture of your finished console? Ive laid out my controls dead centre.

Have you set your helm off centre of the centre line of the helmsman, or on centre with the helmsman ? I set mine off centre as suggested by Ullman. It makes for a more ergonomic/comfortable helming position. You set the helm to the Stbd of the helm seat centre line & bring the throttle closer to the helm centre. This means you can sit with one hand one the wheel & one on the throttle & your arms are at equal extension. You’re not overreaching for the throttle.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 08:56   #66

Quote:

I don't have a helpful one. I'm going out tomorrow so I'll take a pic then.

Quote:
Well run business, close eye on costs🥸
Old 17 August 2022, 09:14   #67

I've now found this one which is very blurred but might help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DBFD3D73-C856-4424-AAAE-C39869965BA9.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	141330  
Old 17 August 2022, 09:58   #68

RIBase
Ps. Unless you have the hands & dexterity of a gynaecologist, put the biggest hatch in the front that will fit. Or consider putting one on the aft face.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 17 August 2022, 10:04   #69

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
I've now found this one which is very blurred but might help.
Many thanks.
Old 17 August 2022, 10:31   #70

Should just mention mine is an offshore console with a seat/locker on the front which is why it has an aft hatch which only a small child or a contortionist can get into. But I suppose less prone to water ingress.
Old 17 August 2022, 10:40   #71

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ps. Unless you have the hands & dexterity of a gynaecologist, put the biggest hatch in the front that will fit. Or consider putting one on the aft face.
IIRC the front hatch is 630 x 350. Still looks too small. I did consider a hatch on the aft face but I’m going to need all that space for fuse box, acr, master switch, fuel filter, nmea backbone, Yamaha hub, speakers and a few other little trinkets.

I’m impressed that you’ve managed to cram all your goodies in there.
Old 17 August 2022, 11:43   #72

Quote:
IIRC the front hatch is 630 x 350. Still looks too small. I did consider a hatch on the aft face but I’m going to need all that space for fuse box, acr, master switch, fuel filter, nmea backbone, Yamaha hub, speakers and a few other little trinkets.

I’m impressed that you’ve managed to cram all your goodies in there.
I don't have any goodies really, just the essentials. No speakers or music hub for instance. I do have a nmea backbone. Also the Suzuki multi-function gizmo saves on space and my plotter's quite small.

In hindsight I think I might have preferred a forward facing hatch as my usage is mainly on Lake Solent anyway. I had a flat battery after the long lockdown when I couldn't get to the boat and even though I had a jump-starter I had to call SeaStart out because I couldn't get in the hatch to connect it. And I'm not large, just old😟. Having to sqeeze between the jockeys doesn't help.
Old 17 August 2022, 14:02   #73

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Have you set your helm off centre of the centre line of the helmsman, or on centre with the helmsman ? I set mine off centre as suggested by Ullman. It makes for a more ergonomic/comfortable helming position. You set the helm to the Stbd of the helm seat centre line & bring the throttle closer to the helm centre. This means you can sit with one hand one the wheel & one on the throttle & your arms are at equal extension. You’re not overreaching for the throttle.
This is a good call ! I moved a console over to help drainage and due to a fairly narrow floor space and changing from leaning post to jockeys ,my sitting position is central between helm and throttle ,something i thought may be an issue ........but no ! super comfy ,however hydraulic steering and the spinning hand wheel help no end

Worth putting a bulgin 2 pin somewhere for battery charging or high current aux
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220817_133602968.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	141332   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220817_133625980.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	141333   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220817_134012804.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	141334  
Old 17 August 2022, 14:13   #74

RIBase
Quote:
I never gave that a thought.

Ive got the centre of the helm exactly 7.5" in from starboard side of console, my thinking behind this was the steering wheel is 15" diameter and the right hand side of the wheel will run flush with the right side of console, i could tweak the seating to suit as they aren't in yet.

Speaking to a couple of forum members their seats seem to be central to the helm but with the seat base 9" away from the base of the console, I thought that was a bit close when I mocked it up, 11"/12" was more comfortable. Im assuming yours is different due to the cut away and Ullmans?

Im not your average size (6ft 4") so what might be perfect for one may be a little tight for me.
Old 17 August 2022, 14:18   #75

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
This is a good call ! I moved a console over to help drainage and due to a fairly narrow floor space and changing from leaning post to jockeys ,my sitting position is central between helm and throttle ,something i thought may be an issue ........but no ! super comfy ,however hydraulic steering and the spinning hand wheel help no end

Worth putting a bulgin 2 pin somewhere for battery charging or high current aux
Blimey, that's over by quite a way! How does in handle when you are just 1 up?
Old 17 August 2022, 15:12   #76

Town: Swanage
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Quote:

Ive got the centre of the helm exactly 7.5" in from starboard side of console, my thinking behind this was the steering wheel is 15" diameter and the right hand side of the wheel will run flush with the right side of console, i could tweak the seating to suit as they aren't in yet.

Speaking to a couple of forum members their seats seem to be central to the helm but with the seat base 9" away from the base of the console, I thought that was a bit close when I mocked it up, 11"/12" was more comfortable. Im assuming yours is different due to the cut away and Ullmans?

Im not your average size (6ft 4") so what might be perfect for one may be a little tight for me.
When I fitted out the console and seating on my boat build I used the Ullman guide here:

https://ullmandynamics.com/wp-conten...-for-speed.pdf

Page 3 has a reference to steering and throttle position. It's not specific to the Ullman seats really, just discusses the ergonomics with console/seating lay out. It worked, the boat is comfortable to drive when 'stood' in the rougher stuff and when sat down for longer passages. I don't have Ullman seats, just standard Halmatic seats.
Old 17 August 2022, 16:43   #77

RIBase
Quote:

I offset mine as far as I could to Stbd without hitting the windscreen. Not as much as Id’ve liked, but every little helps. It looks wrong, but it feels right [emoji6]
Old 17 August 2022, 17:16   #78

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Blimey, that's over by quite a way! How does in handle when you are just 1 up?
Well the honest answer is "i dont really know ,so far so good ! "
i have been out a couple of times alone and havnt had any issues or even thoughts ,i have done the standing waves at the end of the river orwell a couple of times with outgoing tides , a place i have been known to turn round several times in my other boat
The boat has 22" inch tubes is plated for 15 and was designed and built in Miami ,so to be honest it doesnt seem to sensitive as to where my 18 stone is !

I will keep an open mind on this one next time i get out alone
Old 17 August 2022, 17:18   #79

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus3060 View Post
When I fitted out the console and seating on my boat build I used the Ullman guide here:

https://ullmandynamics.com/wp-conten...-for-speed.pdf

Page 3 has a reference to steering and throttle position. It's not specific to the Ullman seats really, just discusses the ergonomics with console/seating lay out. It worked, the boat is comfortable to drive when 'stood' in the rougher stuff and when sat down for longer passages. I don't have Ullman seats, just standard Halmatic seats.
perfect thanks.
Old 17 August 2022, 17:57   #80

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
+1 on offsetting wheel or as you've suggested the seat.

For my console I made three individual panels with various bits and pieces integrated into them. It meant I could access most of my wiring through the big holes in the console.

The final panel was attached via a couple of TCL 4 hatches in the sides of the console.

This is possibly more of an industrial look than you are after.

Double check your chartplotter template. I managed to download the wrong one and the mounting holes were in the wrong place. That is what the two screw heads just peaking out the edge of the cover are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	141335  

Tags
rib, ribcraft