Old 29 March 2010, 10:04   #1

Town: Gran Canaria
Boat name: Jable
Make: valiant
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard
Problem fuel tank

Hello,, it is the first time that i write in the fórum although i have been registered for a while, also i have been trying to read it , however it is a bit difficult for me, because of my level of english.
I live in the Canary Island.
I’m writing because I need some help with certain problem in my rib.
It has 10 meter long and was bought first handed in August 2005, the trouble is that it has gasoline looses. I have checked all the gasoline hoses and pipes and are ok. Therefore I suppose it must be a fissure in the gas tank.
It is not a constant loss, when the rib is at the harbor and the gas tank is nearly full I have never noticed it, but when going to the open sea, there is gasoline in the bilge together with the water that might have entered. Nevertherless when the gas tank is emptier, 170 litres, and at the harbor, it has a loss of about 150 c/c, everyday in the bilge.

At this point I think I will have to open the floor of the boat to remove the tank of 710 litres, and that’s the reason for the help I’m asking, to sort out this few questions,

1. The present tank is made of aluminum, are there better the ones made up of polyethylene (as for example Moeller tanks).
2. Does someone know any reliable enterprise that produces aluminum gas tanks with guarantee. I know one at USA, but the delivery expenses are too expensive., does anyone know an enterprise in England that could be recommended.
3. When installing the new gas tank should I give any kind of painting o treatment to avoid corrosion, for example coal tar epoxy, does anyone know a mark and model that could be recommended
4.- What should be put under the tank in order to separate it from the bottom. I have read about same plastic plaques reinforced with fibre, and heard about one called Haysite, but I don’t know which model, does someone know anyone that could be recommended.
5.- When cutting the bottom floor of the boat, where should i make the cut, the tank is in the middle and as long the boat is, between two crossbeams. I haven’t got plans.

Any help or advice, will be most grated, because I am very worried with this problema.

Thank you all very much
Old 29 March 2010, 10:15   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Trevally View Post
Hello,, it is the first time that i write in the fórum although i have been registered for a while, also i have been trying to read it , however it is a bit difficult for me, because of my level of english.
I live in the Canary Island.
I’m writing because I need some help with certain problem in my rib.
It has 10 meter long and was bought first handed in August 2005, the trouble is that it has gasoline looses. I have checked all the gasoline hoses and pipes and are ok. Therefore I suppose it must be a fissure in the gas tank.
It is not a constant loss, when the rib is at the harbor and the gas tank is nearly full I have never noticed it, but when going to the open sea, there is gasoline in the bilge together with the water that might have entered. Nevertherless when the gas tank is emptier, 170 litres, and at the harbor, it has a loss of about 150 c/c, everyday in the bilge.

At this point I think I will have to open the floor of the boat to remove the tank of 710 litres, and that’s the reason for the help I’m asking, to sort out this few questions,

1. The present tank is made of aluminum, are there better the ones made up of polyethylene (as for example Moeller tanks).
2. Does someone know any reliable enterprise that produces aluminum gas tanks with guarantee. I know one at USA, but the delivery expenses are too expensive., does anyone know an enterprise in England that could be recommended.
3. When installing the new gas tank should I give any kind of painting o treatment to avoid corrosion, for example coal tar epoxy, does anyone know a mark and model that could be recommended
4.- What should be put under the tank in order to separate it from the bottom. I have read about same plastic plaques reinforced with fibre, and heard about one called Haysite, but I don’t know which model, does someone know anyone that could be recommended.
5.- When cutting the bottom floor of the boat, where should i make the cut, the tank is in the middle and as long the boat is, between two crossbeams. I haven’t got plans.

Any help or advice, will be most grated, because I am very worried with this problema.

Thank you all very much
Hi

Can you post some pictures of your deck etc, does the tank have breather hoses and a flange/cover for the level sender unit that you can access as in the picture.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sender unit.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	50096  
Old 29 March 2010, 10:26   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
can you get at the top of the tank where all the hoses are? if you can remove the breather hose and attach the pump you use for blowing up your tubes, you can pressure the tank to see if the sender or pipe fittings are leaking, spray with soapy water, is it inboard or outboard?
Old 29 March 2010, 11:35   #4

I havent still done anything in the rib. The first thing I have to do is to remove the cabin and then cut the floor to reach the gas tank. As soon as I remove de cabin ill take a photo of the deck, because at the present moment anything can be seen as the gas tank is under the deck floor.
It is outboard, two verado 250c/v
Old 29 March 2010, 18:26   #5

These are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1070726_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	50104   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070730_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	50105   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070741_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	50106   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070755_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	50107   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070756_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	50108  

Old 29 March 2010, 18:44   #6

More pictures.This is what I can see now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1070759_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	50114   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070769_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	50115   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070774_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	50116   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070775_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	50117   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070781_redimensionar.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	50118  

Old 29 March 2010, 21:03   #7

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
As Valiant are based in Portugal, could you not contact them for advice? They may be able to supply a replacement tank cheaper, if it proves necessary.
Regards
Old 30 March 2010, 11:27   #8

that looks a nasty job, start by doing as i suggested the soapy water will at least clean up if no bubbles are found, tanks are easy to weld up, you have to be a bit carefull if they been used
Old 30 March 2010, 13:35   #9

250KTS , I can´t contact with Valiant directly, I would have to contact with Touron, which is the representative in Spain of Brunswick, the owner of Valiant. Touron is a shit, it is only for sell, but when you have a problem, they don´t help you.

Biffer, contacted with a company to put pressure in the fuel tank and they told me they won´t do it, because they were afraid of an explosion.
I will be putting photos as I bring forward at the work to hear your comments.

Thank you so much
Old 30 March 2010, 14:29   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Can you remove the sender unit & get a camera in to look at the inside of the tank ? ( With the tank empty)

Potentially with something like this ;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Inspection-Tub...item45f16ccfd9

Or if you have a local Aviation engineer they may have somthing similar & high tech for you to look at the inside of the tank without removing the deck ?

If you can see the problem at least you know what you need to do to fix it .
Old 30 March 2010, 14:49   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
So does the fuel tank only run between the two stringers we can see, I assume the centre two?
Old 30 March 2010, 15:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Trevally View Post
250KTS , I can´t contact with Valiant directly, I would have to contact with Touron, which is the representative in Spain of Brunswick, the owner of Valiant. Touron is a shit, it is only for sell, but when you have a problem, they don´t help you.

Biffer, contacted with a company to put pressure in the fuel tank and they told me they won´t do it, because they were afraid of an explosion.
I will be putting photos as I bring forward at the work to hear your comments.

Thank you so much
you will only be putting air in it if you use your tube inflator pump, it will never cause an explosion, they just don't want the work, do it yourself