Old 13 August 2020, 18:12   #1

Town: Southampton/Poole
Boat name: Black Racketeer
Make: White Shark & Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Verado 150
Powerboat Instructor

Hope everyone is keeping well?

As per the above, I am soon to be completing my powerboat instructors course, I will then be able to teach PB1 & PB2.

Has anyone done this ticket and can share there experiences?
Old 14 August 2020, 18:28   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
No. But I have always been interested how it works and what they can charge.
Old 14 August 2020, 20:08   #3

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble95 View Post
Hope everyone is keeping well?

As per the above, I am soon to be completing my powerboat instructors course, I will then be able to teach PB1 & PB2.

Has anyone done this ticket and can share there experiences?
I know a number of people with Powerboat Instructors tickets and they are absolutely useless in powerboats!
Old 14 August 2020, 20:30   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Hi All, The PBI course and assessment I did about 10 yrs ago was excellent and the venues at Plas Meni, was second to none. Excellent couple of instructors, with some varied but well equipped boats. The Accomodation and food there was Very good and my room
Was overlooking the straights. From memory the course consisted of teaching a selection of skills both on and off the water.

Well worth doing, I got the train there and back from the south east, the nearest station at Bangor is a 10 min taxi ride from plas meni.

I think you had to give a 10 min presentation.

Cheers Dave
Old 17 August 2020, 05:13   #5

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Likewise my PBI was 10+ years ago and money well spent, did mine in the Solent and loved every minute of the prep and assessment.

So long as you have the experience of both powerboating and teaching/coaching then you will be fine, you do need to know your stuff and your limitations (no good being over confident) and it is rightly challenging.

I agree with the comment about PBIs who do not have a passion or flair for the sport, my suspicion is that sail instructors get the ticket to be able to offer the Safety Boat course.

Once you are qualified you will probably want to get some experience as part of a larger school, going down the one man training centre route is a lot of admin to get started. No idea what freelancers charge, but in the SW the level 2 prices advertised to customers is 250-300 per person and increasing slightly due to demand and virus restrictions.

One tip - do not stray from the PB2 syllabus, its is easy to go off into Dayskipper, Intermediate or SRC material and thats best left as a teaser for the client's next course.

Best of luck and give me a shout if any of you would like to observe on a couple of courses either before or after you qualify (no charge or pay).