Old 09 September 2008, 16:56   #1

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Possible refurbishments

Hi folks
I am after some advice regarding 2 possible refurbishment projects. Both boats were built by http://www.libra.ae/main.htm but I have no record of age. I would like to refurbish one of the two (or both ;-) ) to use as a family cruiser (kids 2,3 and 5) and dive boat.

Boat No 1 in the first picture appears to be around 7m with twin Yam 75's (Engine No 75AET/692/L/411853). I know the engines have been well maintained and the tubes hold air for 45mins or so. Hull appears sound and trailer needs minor work. this boat would be dry stored and launched by tractor. Boat was mainly used as safety boat for sailing.diving club activity. No idea of engine hours etc. I like the extra room and seating arrangements for the family.

Boat No 2 appears to be around 6m with twin Yam 85's (Engine No 85AED/688/X/701106). I believe engines were serviced before boat being taken off the run but one engine may have a fault. This boat was used for dolphin research work. The trailer is more suitable for road towing but this is frowned on in Oman where the trailer must be backed up with a second vehicle with hazard lights. This boat also need tube replacement but also needs new fuel tank fabricating, floor over fuel tank replacing, console replaced, new control gear, complete rewire etc. Again no idea of engine hours etc. Hull sound. Boat is smaller but 85's may prove to be fun.

I realise that trying to refurbish these ribs will difficult due to lack of parts however I want a project to undertake with my boys and I want to get out on the water. My problem is I do not have a clue regarding value of the individual units. Ribs are not popular in Oman due to lack of sunshade. My thought is that the real value is in the engines therefore I would be grateful for any idea reagrding the value of the engines as described (plus a bit for hulls etc).

I would also be grateful if anyone can shed light on the origins of Libra Boats and whether these hulls are derived from other boats. I guess an option would be to obtain both and get one boat on the water straight away whilst rebuildng the second. Best have another beer and think about it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050015.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	37443   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050019a.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	37444