Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 October 2020, 05:59   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Positioning console to starboard ...

Doing a search on here I see this has been discussed a bit on various threads but thought it worth having a thread just for the topic (and as I am about to fit my console)

I have a Humber 6.3 (2.34 beam) with 175hp Optimax. Humber when asked say that they position their consoles centrally unless there is a special request to offset, and that offsetting the console would make no difference at all.

My Humber before the refit with the factory fitted console was offset to starboard by a couple inches but this may have been because all controls and cables were on the deck to the starboard side making passage hazardous. My cables now all run under deck so not an issue.

I have a new console with 207litre tank within. Iíve gone both ways sometimes leaning towards just plumb centre and sometimes 2Ēto the right.

Any thoughts - does offsetting really make a difference on an outfit like mine or others?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 07:13   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,432
RIBase
it never bothered me when I owned this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat pics 003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	135416  
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 08:25   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
it never bothered me when I owned this


Thanks Jeff - that looks all the way to starboard with the walkway to port?
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 08:29   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,432
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Thanks Jeff - that looks all the way to starboard with the walkway to port?
yes it was mate you could see straight down the gunnel sat on the helm
to be honest its just balancing the boat out with kit, people etc. now I'm sibbing I sit right on the tube i get a list so i just have the fuel in my case opposite.
i fitted trim tabs on this boat only because it had a planning pad at the stern which made it a tad twitchy if someone moved whilst on the plane
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 09:04   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,250
RIBase
If you have a clockwise rotating prop, the boat will want to list to port due to the torque of the prop so your offset console would help with that. In addition and more practically, it gives one side of the boat better access which is probably quite useful.

I expect more manufacturers don't do it just due to the aesthetics plus you'll always get a slight list until you reach planing speed.

The other potential benefit to an offset console is that it can put the throttle and the bit of the wheel you tend to hold on to equidistant from your centreline. Most console designs have the wheel in line with the centreline of the seat and the throttle offset to port / stbd. As you should have one hand on the throttle and one hand on the wheel, you can move your console so these two locations are either side of the seat centreline.

Hopefully this will help with your dithering!
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 15:57   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
If you have a clockwise rotating prop, the boat will want to list to port due to the torque of the prop so your offset console would help with that. In addition and more practically, it gives one side of the boat better access which is probably quite useful.

I expect more manufacturers don't do it just due to the aesthetics plus you'll always get a slight list until you reach planing speed.

The other potential benefit to an offset console is that it can put the throttle and the bit of the wheel you tend to hold on to equidistant from your centreline. Most console designs have the wheel in line with the centreline of the seat and the throttle offset to port / stbd. As you should have one hand on the throttle and one hand on the wheel, you can move your console so these two locations are either side of the seat centreline.

Hopefully this will help with your dithering!


That makes sense actually, with the console width moving it slightly to starboard would help with getting the steering wheel and throttle lever either side of centre for the driver. Very good point

Iíll position it tomorrow and see where that takes me. Wonder if as you say Humber only day they position centrally for aesthetics.
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 15:58   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
yes it was mate you could see straight down the gunnel sat on the helm
to be honest its just balancing the boat out with kit, people etc. now I'm sibbing I sit right on the tube i get a list so i just have the fuel in my case opposite.
i fitted trim tabs on this boat only because it had a planning pad at the stern which made it a tad twitchy if someone moved whilst on the plane


Iím hoping that with a 207ltr fuel tank forward itíll help balance the boat out and get it on the plane quickly
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 00:51   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 320
Check that the starboard tube then doesn't rest in the water when static. Or at least can be levelled out by shifting the weight of the engine, rotating it to port.

Don't want the tube permanently in the water.
__________________
ribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:35   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Check that the starboard tube then doesn't rest in the water when static. Or at least can be levelled out by shifting the weight of the engine, rotating it to port.

Don't want the tube permanently in the water.


When stationary many ribs have their tubes permanently in the water, including Humber Ocean Pros...
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:46   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,671
I prefer to see everything central to start with, any torque list is usually minimal and wont be noticed unless in glass like waters & even then can usuallybe trimmed out sorted by moving the fixed tab on the engine.
Unless theres a good reason like providing forward access then I'd go central personally.
__________________
beamishken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 03:28   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 140
For me it depends how far forward the console is. If it's far enough forward to make getting past it a bit of a struggle, then offsetting it to one side would be worth it. I would still want the fuel tank central, so it would only work If there was enough room inside.

My console is slightly offset to the right, not by much, but it makes a noticeable difference when going forward. There is just that little bit more room for my feet and less need to lean out when going past on the left.

My steering is also on the right but even with my not inconsiderable weight there isn't any noticeable trim issues.
__________________
36valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 03:58   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
For me it depends how far forward the console is. If it's far enough forward to make getting past it a bit of a struggle, then offsetting it to one side would be worth it. I would still want the fuel tank central, so it would only work If there was enough room inside.



My console is slightly offset to the right, not by much, but it makes a noticeable difference when going forward. There is just that little bit more room for my feet and less need to lean out when going past on the left.



My steering is also on the right but even with my not inconsiderable weight there isn't any noticeable trim issues.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	135419

This gives you an idea how far forward mine is, enough room to move around in front of it, two single jockeys behind and bench to rear, in the photo itís central, there is enough room to move either side when central but not loads of room. You can also see the size of tank going inside the console - there isnít any room to move it sideways inside the console so if the console is offset so is the fuel tank
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 04:24   #13
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,617
I also think central looks best. Same with the engine.

Battery, oil and helm were enough in my instance to offset a very bad port lean on acceleration. Engine too low or over trimmed in also causes excess port lean. I could negate it with trim tabs but it was annoying
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 04:36   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Attachment 135419

this gives you an idea how far forward mine is, enough room to move around in front of it, two single jockeys behind and bench to rear, in the second photo itís central, there is enough room to move either side when central but not loads of room. You can also see the size of tank going inside the console - there isnít any room to move it sideways inside the console so if the console is offset so is the fuel tank


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	135420
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	135421
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:30   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,442
I agree with those who suggest minimising torque reaction and maximizing forward access but also, if you helm on the right and you place the console close to the right tube you will shelter yourself considerably from the weather. If you wish to counter the offset mount your batteries in the left of the console - above flood level of course.
I ran my 6.5 Destroyer with the console and fuel tank hard right and it was fine.

Ribs list into the wind so if there is any level of side breeze you're going to be leaning anyway. Trim tabs are a very good addition.
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.