Click Here to Login

Old 16 October 2020, 10:59   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Positioning console to starboard ...

Doing a search on here I see this has been discussed a bit on various threads but thought it worth having a thread just for the topic (and as I am about to fit my console)

I have a Humber 6.3 (2.34 beam) with 175hp Optimax. Humber when asked say that they position their consoles centrally unless there is a special request to offset, and that offsetting the console would make no difference at all.

My Humber before the refit with the factory fitted console was offset to starboard by a couple inches but this may have been because all controls and cables were on the deck to the starboard side making passage hazardous. My cables now all run under deck so not an issue.

I have a new console with 207litre tank within. I’ve gone both ways sometimes leaning towards just plumb centre and sometimes 2”to the right.

Any thoughts - does offsetting really make a difference on an outfit like mine or others?

Thanks
Old 16 October 2020, 12:13   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
it never bothered me when I owned this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat pics 003.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	135416  
Old 16 October 2020, 13:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
it never bothered me when I owned this

Thanks Jeff - that looks all the way to starboard with the walkway to port?
Old 16 October 2020, 13:29   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Thanks Jeff - that looks all the way to starboard with the walkway to port?
yes it was mate you could see straight down the gunnel sat on the helm
to be honest its just balancing the boat out with kit, people etc. now I'm sibbing I sit right on the tube i get a list so i just have the fuel in my case opposite.
i fitted trim tabs on this boat only because it had a planning pad at the stern which made it a tad twitchy if someone moved whilst on the plane
Old 16 October 2020, 14:04   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
If you have a clockwise rotating prop, the boat will want to list to port due to the torque of the prop so your offset console would help with that. In addition and more practically, it gives one side of the boat better access which is probably quite useful.

I expect more manufacturers don't do it just due to the aesthetics plus you'll always get a slight list until you reach planing speed.

The other potential benefit to an offset console is that it can put the throttle and the bit of the wheel you tend to hold on to equidistant from your centreline. Most console designs have the wheel in line with the centreline of the seat and the throttle offset to port / stbd. As you should have one hand on the throttle and one hand on the wheel, you can move your console so these two locations are either side of the seat centreline.

Hopefully this will help with your dithering!
Old 16 October 2020, 20:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
If you have a clockwise rotating prop, the boat will want to list to port due to the torque of the prop so your offset console would help with that. In addition and more practically, it gives one side of the boat better access which is probably quite useful.

I expect more manufacturers don't do it just due to the aesthetics plus you'll always get a slight list until you reach planing speed.

The other potential benefit to an offset console is that it can put the throttle and the bit of the wheel you tend to hold on to equidistant from your centreline. Most console designs have the wheel in line with the centreline of the seat and the throttle offset to port / stbd. As you should have one hand on the throttle and one hand on the wheel, you can move your console so these two locations are either side of the seat centreline.

Hopefully this will help with your dithering!

That makes sense actually, with the console width moving it slightly to starboard would help with getting the steering wheel and throttle lever either side of centre for the driver. Very good point [emoji106]

I’ll position it tomorrow and see where that takes me. Wonder if as you say Humber only day they position centrally for aesthetics.
Old 16 October 2020, 20:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
yes it was mate you could see straight down the gunnel sat on the helm
to be honest its just balancing the boat out with kit, people etc. now I'm sibbing I sit right on the tube i get a list so i just have the fuel in my case opposite.
i fitted trim tabs on this boat only because it had a planning pad at the stern which made it a tad twitchy if someone moved whilst on the plane

I’m hoping that with a 207ltr fuel tank forward it’ll help balance the boat out and get it on the plane quickly [emoji23]
Old 17 October 2020, 05:51   #8

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Check that the starboard tube then doesn't rest in the water when static. Or at least can be levelled out by shifting the weight of the engine, rotating it to port.

Don't want the tube permanently in the water.
Old 17 October 2020, 07:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Check that the starboard tube then doesn't rest in the water when static. Or at least can be levelled out by shifting the weight of the engine, rotating it to port.

Don't want the tube permanently in the water.

When stationary many ribs have their tubes permanently in the water, including Humber Ocean Pros...
Old 17 October 2020, 07:46   #10

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I prefer to see everything central to start with, any torque list is usually minimal and wont be noticed unless in glass like waters & even then can usuallybe trimmed out sorted by moving the fixed tab on the engine.
Unless theres a good reason like providing forward access then I'd go central personally.
Old 17 October 2020, 08:28   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
For me it depends how far forward the console is. If it's far enough forward to make getting past it a bit of a struggle, then offsetting it to one side would be worth it. I would still want the fuel tank central, so it would only work If there was enough room inside.

My console is slightly offset to the right, not by much, but it makes a noticeable difference when going forward. There is just that little bit more room for my feet and less need to lean out when going past on the left.

My steering is also on the right but even with my not inconsiderable weight there isn't any noticeable trim issues.
Old 17 October 2020, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
For me it depends how far forward the console is. If it's far enough forward to make getting past it a bit of a struggle, then offsetting it to one side would be worth it. I would still want the fuel tank central, so it would only work If there was enough room inside.

My console is slightly offset to the right, not by much, but it makes a noticeable difference when going forward. There is just that little bit more room for my feet and less need to lean out when going past on the left.

My steering is also on the right but even with my not inconsiderable weight there isn't any noticeable trim issues.

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	135419

This gives you an idea how far forward mine is, enough room to move around in front of it, two single jockeys behind and bench to rear, in the photo it’s central, there is enough room to move either side when central but not loads of room. You can also see the size of tank going inside the console - there isn’t any room to move it sideways inside the console so if the console is offset so is the fuel tank
Old 17 October 2020, 09:24   #13

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
I also think central looks best. Same with the engine.

Battery, oil and helm were enough in my instance to offset a very bad port lean on acceleration. Engine too low or over trimmed in also causes excess port lean. I could negate it with trim tabs but it was annoying
Old 17 October 2020, 09:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Attachment 135419

this gives you an idea how far forward mine is, enough room to move around in front of it, two single jockeys behind and bench to rear, in the second photo it’s central, there is enough room to move either side when central but not loads of room. You can also see the size of tank going inside the console - there isn’t any room to move it sideways inside the console so if the console is offset so is the fuel tank

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	135420

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	135421
Old 17 October 2020, 14:30   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I agree with those who suggest minimising torque reaction and maximizing forward access but also, if you helm on the right and you place the console close to the right tube you will shelter yourself considerably from the weather. If you wish to counter the offset mount your batteries in the left of the console - above flood level of course.
I ran my 6.5 Destroyer with the console and fuel tank hard right and it was fine.

Ribs list into the wind so if there is any level of side breeze you're going to be leaning anyway. Trim tabs are a very good addition.