Old 26 May 2015, 07:41   #1

Length: 5m +
polymarine a/f for tubes

Hi, dare i ask about antifoul for tubes - i know there are loads of threads already and i have been through them.
i am trying to find out whether the soft flexible a/f paint like the polymarine stuff stays on and works for a whole season?
i will be leaving the boat in a marina with medium to heavy growth.
anyone have experience with the polymarine or international uno for the tubes?
its a humber assault 5m so the tubes are well in the water.
thanks
Old 28 May 2015, 17:33   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I've used the polymarine on my tubes although they only just touch the water as she rolls. I'm also on a drying mooring. A small amount of weed/slime grows but the biggest disappointment is that it seems to flake off quite easily. It works just about for me in my particular case but not sure how good it would be for permanent immersion.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 06:31   #3

Thanks Erin. i'm struggling to find an alternative at the moment, other than jet washing every couple of weeks... might have to give it a go.
Old 11 June 2015, 11:37   #4

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
My Humber destroyer is afloat all season. For the last ten years I've used International antifoulings. At first Uno on both hull and tubes. Now use Trilux 33 on the hull because the white is really white. This year used Trilux on the tubes too (navy blue) as I finally ran out of Uno.

I rarely do more than 26 knots and both Uno and Trilux seem to survive that. On balance I think Trilux is marginally better at keeping the hull and tubes clean. Also doesn't build up as thick a layer as Uno.

This year I scraped the hull back to gel coat for the first time as the layers of a/f were getting a bit rough. Not quite so easy getting it all off the tubes so they're still a little lumpy, but not too bad really.

For the outboard bracket and trim cylinders etc. and o/b gearbox, all of which are submerged at rest, I use that transparent spray on a/f from TK. It's safe on aluminium as it hasn't any copper in it and it lasts well for four months (like it says on the tin). However, at the end of the season I have a forest on the o/b bits.

Hope that helps.
Old 12 June 2015, 14:32   #5

yes thanks alystra, interesting that you paint the tubes with regular self polishing a/f. i take it the uno or trilux doesnt polish completely off, hence the build up?
cheers.
Old 14 June 2015, 18:09   #6

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtred View Post
yes thanks alystra, interesting that you paint the tubes with regular self polishing a/f. i take it the uno or trilux doesnt polish completely off, hence the build up?
cheers.
Yes, it doesn't polish off, especially the Uno which is/was very thick. I think Trilux has it beat.

First time I've applied the Trilux directly to the GRP. It will be interesting to see how much is left at the end of this season.