Old 30 July 2020, 21:33   #1

Town: Tavernier
Boat name: Flip-flop
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 40HP
PolyMarine 2pt going off too fast, can't do thin coats

Hello, I have learned lots from reading posts but this is my first time having to ask a question.

I am trying to patch a blister/delamination on my 2006 Avon 360SE (pic below). My strategy was to cut a 3" round patch in half and glue it butted up to the seam. After it dries, I'll cover the whole area with a 6" round patch. I sanded and cleaned and prepped the area and back of the patch.

First time I mixed up the glue I painted some on the back of the patch but it as thickening up as I brushed it on and ended up being thick and leaving brush strokes. By the time I went to put it on the tube, it was lumpy and hard to work at all.

So I sanded off what was on the tube, got the other half of the 3" patch prepped and tried again, this time doing the mixing inside and mixing for a longer period. It went on a bit better - I managed to get some on both the tube and the patch fairly evenly - but still definitely not smooth, thin coats. So I said the heck with it and slapped the patch on the tube, figuring I I'll see tomorrow how well it seems to be sticking. If it's not secure, I'll just pull it off. I figure I'll be sanding the tube either way.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	134443  
Old 30 July 2020, 21:58   #2

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
I did a PVC boat last week. It was outside, not very sunny windy and scotland and the glue went off in like 10 mins so I put the second round on and went mad with my steel spadger tool pressing it down. Worked a treat.

I think the 30 mins is a generous number for the first round of glue. I just did it once it was past tacky (when its like chewing gum.) Anybody please correct me, but my tube still holds full pressure after a week.

a youtube tip I saw was cut the bristles down on your brush. Guy had a similar tool to the one I made also for pressing the patch on. It is basically contact adhesive, more contact more stick!

Old 30 July 2020, 21:59   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Take it it's hypalon?

Ussuming you're measuring the glue and the activator out precisely at 25:1, then the only other contributing factor, and it's a major one, is ambient temperature and humidity.

You want good ventilation and low humidity (otherwise the glue blooms) and obviously out of direct sunlight.

Brush wise, trim down a brush so it's easier to work with. With contact adhesive it's about achieving two thin coats on the patch and boat, degreased first with Toluene solvent, etc.
Old 30 July 2020, 22:50   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
I wonder if with the warmer weather that’s making it go off quicker? Perhaps try on a day that’s quite mild if you haven’t already?
Old 31 July 2020, 10:25   #5

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Almost certainly down to the ambient temperature accelerating the hardening process.
I find much the same issue with body filler & car paint.
Old 31 July 2020, 19:27   #6

Thanks. I am in the FL Keys, so it was 83f and about 75% humidity. That won’t change til October, should I thin the glue or use less activator or something?
Old 31 July 2020, 20:20   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNCat View Post
Thanks. I am in the FL Keys, so it was 83f and about 75% humidity. That won’t change til October, should I thin the glue or use less activator or something?
^ Pretty much a recipe for disaster - into a cool aircon workshop for you!
Old 01 August 2020, 11:48   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNCat View Post
Use a thinner in the adhesive so it gets down into the structure of the material and to give you time so that you can apply a thin coat before it begins to tack up...but...your high humidity is against you for achieving a lasting bond.
As willk says, ideally an air conditioned space is what need.
Old 01 August 2020, 17:03   #9

Is there an alternative adhesive I can use for now? The boat is on my dock and I don’t have access to an air conditioned workshop. Maybe something to last until November when it’s cooler and drier?
Old 02 August 2020, 15:36   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If you're stuck and need to go ahead, add thinner to the adhesive. Be sure the ground below the boat is dry, definitely don't do the job over grass! Avoid morning or evening when the atmosphere is condensing.