Old 20 January 2003, 14:34   #1

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Poker Runs

Are there any ribsters with boats over 6 metres and capable of at least 40 mph who would be interested in entering a poker run or two in 2003? they will be in the solent area
Old 20 January 2003, 14:35   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Whats a poker run ?

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2003, 14:46   #3

It's a boating event where you can win a bit of dosh(by chance, not speed), have a good charge about with loads of other boats, good grub, a few bevvy's in the evening (it's run on a sat, so you can recover on sun) and generally enjoy yourself
Old 20 January 2003, 14:54   #4

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Poker Run

Sounds interesting Jon. What do you have to do, I mean is it a race or something or like a treasure hunt etc. Beer and dosh is a good reason to go anyway.

Julian
Old 20 January 2003, 15:12   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Julian, perhaps we could do this for the Weymouth run, the difference being last one standing in the bar wins. My monies on Jan (or me, seeing as I trained him) Alan P Theres still life in this sea old dog yet.
Old 20 January 2003, 15:19   #6

Poker Runs

My god Alan, could you imagine it in Weymouth, Its bad enough as it is let alone making a competition out of it.

Julian
Old 20 January 2003, 15:23   #7

The Poker Run concept is american, and obviously aimed at high performance boats, it's now more popular over there than racing!
it stems from the problem you have as a pb owner, you tow it down to the coast and launch it, for half an hour it's great fun to just tear about, but then you quickly lose interest and start prowling about looking for someone to have a "burn up" with, they're few and far between and probably going in a different direction anyway! so it's in the bar for the rest of the afternoon!

the poker run works by getting a group of like minded people with similar boats, all together, on the same day, in the same place, going(hopefully) in the same direction

there are few rules, must be insured, boat must meet criteria (there is good reason for this)

day starts at about 10am with a breifing,and everybody's told where the five "stops" will be (one of these will also be the lunch stop) then on the water for the start (similar to a powerboat race start)
whilst it's not a race, the run between each stop is a chance to show everybody what ya vessel can do, and a few side bets are not unknown!
on arrival at each stop you choose a plain envelope from a sack, and keep this (without opening it) untill the evening, throughout the day you will collect five of these envelopes.
The evening "Do" has food, entertainment, and a large game board set up at the venue ( usualy a yacht club or similar)

each team is invited up, one at a time, and the envelopes are opened and the cards laid out for each team on the gameboard, quite simply, the highest poker hand wins the pot, it's pure chance ( the pot is supplied by the entry fees,) this has previously been rather high as in the states, £250 entry with a winning hand recieving 2K, but this year the intention is to lower this to more like £100 with the prize fund dependant upon the number of entries, as the £250 put people off,
Idealy the boats would have a cabin, as the overnight berthing at the evening venue is included in the entry, so the crews just "crash" on thier boats when they've had enough, or more than enough as it usually seems to be!
Anyway, it's great fun, a good excuse to go boating (if one is needed)
Old 20 January 2003, 20:39   #8

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
B****r it, Jon. We've got the cabin, the need to win and 've gotta few dollars in the pocket. But on Magellan Alpha, even with the new engine, 35 Knots is top wack. Grrrr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magellan alpha email pic.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1608  
Old 20 January 2003, 20:54   #9

Mike,
So whats the problem? 35 Knt's is 40.28 mph bingo!, your in,
Anyway, the rules can be bent slightly, the reason for the size and speed rules is: there is a schedule for the day, with commitee boats waiting at each stop etc, some of the boats that enter are very fast, some not so fast, the problem with a very slow or very small boat is that it may hold up the proceedings throughout the day, either just coz it's really slow or coz it's quick when flat, but flounders when it's rough, not much good if everybody except one arrives at a stop and has to wait an hour for the last back marker!.... looking at your boat I can't see it floundering in the rough though! so 40 mph is great, look forward to seeing you out in 2003

Jon
Old 20 January 2003, 20:57   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Back in the early 90's we used to do this twice a year but I got slated by the RYA for not insisting the competitors wore skid lids.It was good fun very similar to the old "Cannon Ball Run"
Rules were simple, just turn up and race(sorry cruise)basicaly who ever finished got a trophy.Alan P This is how BIBOA really started, infact, I remember a very nice little boy called Julian who can along to my 40th birthday bash at port Hamble! My god, that was a long tiume ago.
Old 20 January 2003, 20:59   #11

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Sounds good, Jon. Standing by. Out.
Old 20 January 2003, 21:01   #12

there we go again, more proof, if it were needed that the RYA are a waste of space!
Old 21 January 2003, 08:28   #13

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Hey Guys
You need to give the new Powerboat Chief Instructor a chance to change the ingrained views of the RYA.
Admittedly previously we seem to have been viewed with tolerance so they could go sailing.
If we don't give them constructive feed back, things will never change and we will continue to be annoyed ( can think of other words here ) by the body that allegedly represents us.
Jelly
Old 21 January 2003, 09:01   #14

Town: Newfoundland
I actually quite fancy a poker run as a laugh - an excuse to burn prodigious amounts of petrol! I can do 50kts so I suspect I might not lag too far behind Jon's Phantom (Especially if its a bit choppy). Trouble is I have no accomodation on board (obviously) so its B&B's for me. Do I lose out on the post event cameraderie then?
Old 21 January 2003, 09:33   #15

Alans 40th

Alan

I remeber that bash, That was our 1st weekend with BIBOA. good event, That was a long time ago. That means you must be ** years old. That weekend started us of in Ribs with our humber which the year later you took a chain saw to the deck and we re built her. After that it was a much better boat and still going strong. That was good fun doing the work our selves etc.

Julian
Old 21 January 2003, 10:04   #16

Allan,
Of course not! post event cameraderie is a major part of the fun, overnight berthing is included in the entry, and the next day we usualy have a tear about somewhere and maybe raft up for lunch and a swim (weather permiting) you'll just have to get back from the B&B in time to come with us! after all, we will all want to hear your excuses for your lame performance in the "choppy" conditions on the previous day! ( and to settle any outstanding wagers you may have lost!) LOLOLOL

Regards, Jon
Old 21 January 2003, 13:51   #17

Julian,
I just looked at your profile! My god, I must be the oldest bugger on here! 25...happy days
Old 21 January 2003, 13:58   #18

And I just looked at my own profile, How can I possibly be a senior member when I've only been on it for 8 days! ( or is it refering to my age, D'oh
Old 21 January 2003, 13:59   #19

Jon

Hi Jon

Yep I'm only 25 but after some of these events I feel like 95 with all the aches and pains , and if Mr Priddy is involved i normally have a blinding head ache after too much beer. I blame him.

This poker run does sound good to me. Any idea of dates etc.

Julian
Old 21 January 2003, 14:08   #20

No firm dates for this year yet, we need to check all the racing and cruising dates first to try and avoid a clash, first run is usualy end of May-start of june, but will keep anyone who's interested posted, it is great fun, we normally run IRO 70nm on the day, so it's no big deal for those concerned about fuel (we may need gum shields and boxing gloves if you rufty-tufty rib chaps get going, so I may get head protection!)

PS. Chris Strickland did one a couple of years ago, ask him what he thought!

Keep you informed,

Regards Jon F