Old 20 May 2009, 19:08   #1

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Plotting/Google Earth

I'm just starting to consider the new maritime world opening up in front of me and have been getting to grips with charts and navigation.

How do most people chart/plot their trips to new ports?

I guess you could do it on the boat on the GPS screen, but I've been taking a look at Google Earth and wondered if that would make a decent way point calculator?
Old 20 May 2009, 19:36   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
During your training with Doug he will go through the basics of navigation and I would always say have a chart of the Solent( your area) and take it step by step on recognising buoys and what they mean and also channel markers. Start with your local port and understand the chart for that area. I would never suggest google, worth reading recent thread about almanac which shows tides and info on ports in The Solent. There is a lot to learn but we all manage just takes time and we learn more each time we use charts. http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29970

Dont rely on electronic charts in case you lose power to them but use them as a tool to show you what is going on around your position. They are great bits of kit and can aid navigation with tools on the screens. As you can see I am not a trainer but plenty on here are and will give better advice
Old 21 May 2009, 07:08   #3

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
I've been taking a look at Google Earth and wondered if that would make a decent way point calculator?
Google Earth can be a useful extra in helping you plan trips and show you what places look like in a way that charts can't. I sometimes use it if I'm going to an area I don't know very well. However, it won't show you the underwater hazards that you can find by studying a chart so it could lead you into danger if you used it as your main planning tool. It also has practical difficulties in running on a small boat in the wet and with no internet connection.

Charts must be your starting point, but there are lots of ways of getting additional information to add to what the chart tells you, and the more information you have (within reason) the safer you'll be. Tide tables and pilot books are common sources of information, Google Earth less so - but no reason why you shouldn't use it to see if it can help add anything to your knowledge once you've done your basic planning.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy this "new maritime world" that's opening up for you, and your course with Doug will set you up well for that.
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 07:35   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Which course are you doing with Doug?

The British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) have a weekend chart and navigation course and I think Doug as a registered school can teach it.

Big advantage of this over RYA Day Skipper at nightschool is you cover the lot in a weekend were as nightschool just seems to drag on and on through the depths of winter.

Pete
Old 21 May 2009, 08:57   #5

Good advice.... I guess Google Earth could become a dangerous short cut. I was thinking to use it leisurely at home to find the coordinates for way points easily and then plugging those into a GPS when arriving at the boat.

The danger would be that I might rely on these way points without reference to the charts showing, as you say, tides and dangerous underwater hazards.

I thought it worth asking before I get into any bad habits!

The course I'm doing is RYA2 - at least the first part. I will then take the second day after a few days maybe and then hopefully be certified but recognise that I'll be inexperienced.

Part of the fun of all this (for me) is trying to do it correctly.
Old 21 May 2009, 11:37   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Off topic I know,
Went to Southampton boat show quite a few years ago (could be 4 or 5 years) and there was new software coming onto the market which was like google earth but showed the seabed in detail plus chart info.
My experience of marine electronics goes as far as a DSC radio and old GPS so can anyone tell me if this software took off? It not only gave you satellite views but computer generated 3d in first person orientation.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:00   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sounds like Garmin G2 Vision.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=9618

Pete
Old 21 May 2009, 12:16   #8
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sounds like Garmin G2 Vision.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=9618

Pete
That looks like the one. What are they like to use? Is the 3D view usable?
Old 21 May 2009, 12:17   #9

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Or could be Raymarine G series with Platinum charts - a seriously cool bit of kit: http://www.raymarine.co.uk/products/...g-series-tour/
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 12:28   #10
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Or could be Raymarine G series with Platinum charts - a seriously cool bit of kit: http://www.raymarine.co.uk/products/...g-series-tour/

I wants one!!
Old 21 May 2009, 13:24   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Google Earth can be a useful extra in helping you plan trips and show you what places look like in a way that charts can't. I sometimes use it if I'm going to an area I don't know very well. However, it won't show you the underwater hazards that you can find by studying a chart so it could lead you into danger if you used it as your main planning tool. It also has practical difficulties in running on a small boat in the wet and with no internet connection.

Charts must be your starting point, but there are lots of ways of getting additional information to add to what the chart tells you, and the more information you have (within reason) the safer you'll be. Tide tables and pilot books are common sources of information, Google Earth less so - but no reason why you shouldn't use it to see if it can help add anything to your knowledge once you've done your basic planning.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy this "new maritime world" that's opening up for you, and your course with Doug will set you up well for that.

Actually it can show you hazards that aren't on a chart - you can see the rocks below you in some cases.

Charts err too much on the side of caution. They will show a whole area as drying when in fact it's just a single outcrop of rock. They are designed for big ships who will stay well away - not small craft who will pick their way through.

Google Earth and OS maps show far more detail very close in.

For example Langland Bay in Swansea has some nasty outcrops of rock right in the middle - the charts just show it as a uniform drying area - the OS maps and Google Earth let you see a dirty great rock in the middle!!!
Old 21 May 2009, 14:00   #12

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
That looks like the one. What are they like to use? Is the 3D view usable?
In an Estuary with significant land rises either side it's quite impressive...also, as in the Fal Estuary, where the channel is very deep and very sheer sided, that also is impressive
Old 21 May 2009, 14:03   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I have the Garmin Mapsource software on my laptop and it is great for plotting routes, saving waypoints etc. You then just download them onto your Garmin plotter using an SD card or similar.

Unfortunately I now have a Lowrance so need to get their version.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 16:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
- you can see the rocks below you in some cases.
In some cases, yes, but depth unknown. Rather dangerous to generalise, in any case - this thread is advice to a novice remember

Quote:
Charts err too much on the side of caution.
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
They will show a whole area as drying when in fact it's just a single outcrop of rock. They are designed for big ships who will stay well away - not small craft who will pick their way through.
That depends on the scale. A large scale chart is generally very accurate at chart datum

Quote:
Google Earth and OS maps show far more detail very close in.
Very dangerous advice to suggest using OS maps for marine navigation, and Google Earth doesn't have detailed coverage in all areas (and may be out of date in others with noting to show the date the imagery was correct)
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 21 May 2009, 18:24   #15

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Try earthnc.com. Their package( very cheap) allows you to use a paper chart and Google earth to plan a trip and/or create a chart on your PC. You can also download that chart to your GPS. You will find one that I created for the SOC that they show as a demo.
Old 21 May 2009, 18:37   #16

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post

Very dangerous advice to suggest using OS maps for marine navigation, and Google Earth doesn't have detailed coverage in all areas (and may be out of date in others with noting to show the date the imagery was correct)
On a sailing boat with a 9' draft I agree but RIBs and SIBs are often used for close in work - in the Burry Estuary charts are useless anyway - the sandbanks move far too much - if you run aground you get off and push!!!

Google Earth images are always out of date but rocks tend not to move very much.
Old 21 May 2009, 18:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Try earthnc.com.
Like it
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 22 May 2009, 17:33   #18

Quote:
Try earthnc.com. Their package( very cheap) allows you to use a paper chart and Google earth to plan a trip and/or create a chart on your PC. You can also download that chart to your GPS. You will find one that I created for the SOC that they show as a demo.
I'll try that - thanks...
Old 23 May 2009, 08:39   #19
JSP

Quote:
Looks good