Old 15 October 2016, 07:02   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Plopping in the sea

So with my little Rib (3.4 m Valliant 15 hp) and my Land rover Discovery what are the rules about getting in the sea. I know once you are on the water there are very few but can I just launch anywere I can pull the boat to. I know about slipway fees etc but was wondering about the more wild side. ie find a place and just go for it. Also where are such places

Dennis
Old 15 October 2016, 07:06   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
i misunderstood the title i thought it was about having a crap in the sea i thought there was a new technique other than the stick your backside out over the back whilst holding onto the a frame and fire
Old 15 October 2016, 07:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
i misunderstood the title i thought it was about having a crap in the sea i thought there was a new technique other than the stick your backside out over the back whilst holding onto the a frame and fire
Now that does sound like a good system. I will bear that in mind
Old 15 October 2016, 08:05   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
So with my little Rib (3.4 m Valliant 15 hp) and my Land rover Discovery what are the rules about getting in the sea. I know once you are on the water there are very few but can I just launch anywere I can pull the boat to. I know about slipway fees etc but was wondering about the more wild side. ie find a place and just go for it. Also where are such places

Dennis
It depends! If you want to launch with the disco, I would stick to "recognised" locations either official slipways or places you've seen others launch from. It's easy, even with a 4x4 to get it stuck on wet sand, or deep shingle. If you are really "wild" then beware getting stuck could be very difficult to resolve, especially if you've sneaked across anyone else's land to be there. Slipways really are a useful feature and I've never understood people who want to avoid paying the fees that maintain them. There's not many parts of the UK where you will be that far from a slipway.

If you are north of the border then generally if you can launch by hand (I.e. without the disco) you can launch anywhere sensible that is clearly not marked as private. (although using a rib does not come with automatic right to roam like a kayak or sailing boat, so inland waters are not a free for all). someone local may be able to provide advice on specific locations elsewhere if you narrow it down.
Old 15 October 2016, 08:20   #5

Make: Zodiac Pro Open
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F100D
Do you need any car to launch a 3.4m fitted with a 15hp?

Get a beach trolley and you should be able to launch anywhere with decent access to the water.

Something like this?

Old 15 October 2016, 08:23   #6

Thanks for that but can I assume that if I can get the trailer on the beech by hand and tow it to the water I am allowed to launch. My road trailer is very light and small so could just pull that on the beech
Old 15 October 2016, 08:36   #7

Make: Zodiac Pro Open
Engine: Yamaha F100D
Quote:
can I assume that if I can get the trailer on the beech by hand and tow it to the water I am allowed to launch.
I think it varies.

I know that a lot of the dunes around Northumberland are owned by the National Trust and they will have restrictions.

They certainly restrict vehicular access but a small boat on a light trailer will probably be different.

I would enquire locally to where you want to launch.
Old 15 October 2016, 08:40   #8

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for that but can I assume that if I can get the trailer on the beech by hand and tow it to the water I am allowed to launch. My road trailer is very light and small so could just pull that on the beech
Even small trailers with small boats get very heavy when trying to tug them uphill by hand on softish sand. Usually the gradients on beaches are steeper than they look.

My advice would be also to stick to the slipways. Much safer and less stressfull. There's usually parking close by for Trailer & car, and you dont have to worry about getting stuck (especially in soft sand this can make you loose your car. Even a disco. )

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 08:52   #9

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
..........and just as your getting comfortable another boat appears on the horizon , do you abandon 'ship' or is it too late.....
Old 15 October 2016, 09:00   #10

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
..........and just as your getting comfortable another boat appears on the horizon , do you abandon 'ship' or is it too late.....
just wave whilst holding your toilet roll in hand they get the message
Old 15 October 2016, 18:06   #11

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I can just see a Teddy's leg, you hanging over the tubes when another rib arrives😣
Old 15 October 2016, 19:27   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If you want to launch off open beaches be careful.
Local knowledge is essential - what looks ideal may be a nightmare - & walking the proposed route before driving it looking for soft patches is vital.
Problem with 4x4 is that if you do get stuck then you can get REALLY stuck.
Old 16 October 2016, 08:45   #13

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
Quote:
You assume wrong..! Like others have said, it all depends where you are. Different areas, have different by-laws. Local knowledge, posing a question on here, aimed at someone with said knowledge, or even google, is the best bet, to save getting yourself into trouble.

Here in Torbay for example, plenty of beaches, plenty of access to beaches with small craft with wheels or trolley, BUT, if your engine is 5hp or more, you have to use one of the 3 dedicated slipways, and pay harbour dues.
Old 16 October 2016, 12:05   #14

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I have never used a slip, I just push the boat down the beach on the trailer and carry the outboard down, I pull everything back with a long rope I used to get hassel from the local council guy but he has given up now but know anything less than 5.5m I can't launch or retrieve the boat.