Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2010, 11:41   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 225 Hp
Please help with Ribcraft spec on new order.

After reading this form for alsmost a year now (as a guest). I was not a member because I have no RIB myself yet and didn't have any suitabale contributions to topic's.
I want to ask fellow users to help determine the final spec for a new Ribcraft 6.4 or 4.8m.

Boat is used as work boat (mainly) but should be suitable for family and instructor boat for sailboats as well.

The below spec was offered based on my requests so far. I asked for a Yamaha 150, but as Ribcraft is ussing Suzuki's more often they offered this engine instead.

What other options should I need?

Ribcraft 6.4 or 6.8m Basic Boat including the following items
- Commercial Specification Hypalon inflation tubes with colour choice
- External tube looped lifelines, with 'D' ring tube patches (Grey or Black)
- 'D' section rubbing strake fendering. Available in Grey or Black.
- Anti-Slip decking finish in either Grey or Black
- Upholstery Colour: Note Std Colours, "Black", "Grey with Black Piping", or "Bluewith Grey Piping"
- Under deck trunking system for all cables.
- Aft deck water collection sump
- Elephant trunk style deck drainers 4" minimum
- Stainless steel bow winch eye strong point and transom mounted towing eyes.
- Whale Supersub Smart 650 automatic bilge pump wired to console, includes skinfitting, hose and carling switch. ISO15083
- Foot pump and emergency tube repair kit
- Anchor locker, hatch and deck tie off cleat

Console and Seating
Offshore console complete with front seat, stowage locker, upholstery, access hatch, passenger
stainless steel grab rail and spray windscreen including stainless wrap round steel grab rail 2 One person jockey seat with hinged seat, stainless steel backrest with bolster and seat securing latch.
2 Two person jockey seat with hinged seat, stainless steel backrest with bolster and seat securing latch.
4 Wing side supports for one man jockey seats
1 40 gallon (180 litre) Fuel Systems approx stainless steel under deck fuel tank with water separating fuel filter, console recess filler, Perko filler with integrated breather, emergency shut of valve, electronic fuel sender and fuel gauge. ISO 21487
1 A' Frame Heavy duty stainless steel double 'A' Frame manufactured from 2" tubing. Mounted to transom. High tow point included for water-skiing.

Tube Accessories
7 Over Pressure Release Valves, One per chamber
1 Reinforced tubes at bow, 200mm above 'D' section at the bow section and incorporating rubber roller fairlead for retaining anchor line.
1 Upgrade of the standard 1300 gsm Orca 828 Hypalon to 1500 gsm Orca 866 Hypalon.
4 Rubber grab handles bonded to tube.
4 Wear patches bonded to tube

Steering System
1 Single engine "Seastar" outboard hydraulic steering system including helm pump, engine ram, all hoses and all installation costs (For single engines up to 225hp)

Electrical and Instruments
1 Series 25 Navigation lights wired to console with carling switch, Port, Starboard and all-round white. (The all around white can be individually illuminated via the two position switch).
1 Ribcraft six way electrical distribution box with battery isolator bus bar and fuse board (Required
for electrical & electronic installations).
1 A Frame mounted spot light for deck illumination.

Miscellaneous
1 Stainless steel engine bolt lock fitted (Usually and insurance requirement)
1 2 litre foam fire extinguisher housed in console GRP recess.
1 Keelguard running full length of the hull
1 Stainless steel lifting points, Four point (for use if you are lifting the boat via crane or davit)
1 Boarding ladder mounted to transom.
Fitting and Installation of Outboard (Single Engine, Double Console)
1 Outfitting and Installation of Outboard Motor including the supply of battery, battery cables, battery housing, control cables, ISO 7840 fuel line and all other small parts

1 SUZUKI DF175 TX EFI four stroke outboard motor Including propeller, tachometer and remote control box (power trim and extra long shaft).

Thanks,

Q.
Old 28 June 2010, 12:09   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Go to max design HP what ever you do. Look into an Etec rather than a lazy Suzy.
Old 28 June 2010, 15:12   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Nothing lazy about the 175!

Spec looks good, won't be cheap but it will be a god boat the 150 Suzi is same block so same weight.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2010, 16:03   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I have a Ribcraft 6.8 with a 225 ETec. Although I need a smaller propellor the boat will still do 47kts WOT and will cruise at 39/40kts all day. The fuel consumption is 1.5 litres per nautical mile seemingly at any speed. This will improve with the right propellor, obviously. Actually, I am thinking of getting the boat converted to a jet drive when funds allow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Archangel at Avranches.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	52319  
Old 28 June 2010, 16:22   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Actually, I am thinking of getting the boat converted to a jet drive when funds allow.
Never mind the jet Ribcraft, the way things are headed, you'll end up wiv an 'Ovvercraft so you can penetrate the shallowest waterways of la belle France and pull donuts in the carpark at Carrefour
Old 28 June 2010, 17:18   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Nothing lazy about the 175!
Ever tried anything other than 175 Suzy?
An RC 6.4, or moreso a 6.8, ain't gonna be too exciting with a DF175 on the back.
Old 28 June 2010, 17:25   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
An RC 6.4, or moreso a 6.8, ain't gonna be too exciting with a DF175 on the back.
I was in the company of an RC6.5/DF175 on Saturday. The owner seemed quite excited at times - don't know whether that was down to the DF175 though.
Old 28 June 2010, 18:46   #8

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Never mind the jet Ribcraft, the way things are headed, you'll end up wiv an 'Ovvercraft so you can penetrate the shallowest waterways of la belle France and pull donuts in the carpark at Carrefour
I'm seriously considering a hovercraft after visiting this site: www.hovpod.com
They can do 45mph, they're far more economical than a rib, they can operate in anything up to a F4, they can be launched from a trailer and even the most expensive model "only" cost £21,000.
Old 29 June 2010, 09:19   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Firstly, hello TopQ & welcome!

Jumping back to the original question, my only observation is your choice of "D" rubbing strake - You say it's mainly as a work boat - what kind of work, as I have D strakes on mine (a hangover from it's days in the North Sea), which are brilliant alongside vertical steel stuff and wooden pier legs, but are a pain in the @rse in marinas as they catch on the pontoon - either under it whan you step off or on the deck of it as you step on board.

Having said that, it being a bigger boat, you may find they sit above the pontoon at all times.

Also as another observation, if it's a work boat you are still allowed a new "proper" 2- stroke. Not sure how your planned leisure use would affect that tho'.
Old 29 June 2010, 12:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Firstly, hello TopQ & welcome!

Jumping back to the original question, my only observation is your choice of "D" rubbing strake - You say it's mainly as a work boat - what kind of work, as I have D strakes on mine (a hangover from it's days in the North Sea), which are brilliant alongside vertical steel stuff and wooden pier legs, but are a pain in the @rse in marinas as they catch on the pontoon - either under it whan you step off or on the deck of it as you step on board.

Having said that, it being a bigger boat, you may find they sit above the pontoon at all times.

Also as another observation, if it's a work boat you are still allowed a new "proper" 2- stroke. Not sure how your planned leisure use would affect that tho'.
Hi

We make steel structures. At the moment we are building a bridge. This bridge runs trough the water whit its belly (just lilke a pontoon). We will tow it as a pontoon to its final destination (Rib is for guidience not for towing ).

Most remarks (direct in this topic or PM's) seems the engine!
Is the Suzzy that tame?

Other options to consider (came from PM's as well):
- Upgraded hatch in the front of the console to a lewmar hatch;
- Twin batteries setup;
- An extra cleat at the bow just in front of the anchor locker for mooring etc.
- Make a deal in electrics (Plotter VHF);
- Handle position to higher up the console .
- Waterproof canisters on the a frame not a bad safety feature for flares, spare vhf etc.

Cheers

Q.
Old 23 July 2010, 13:17   #11

Spec now finalized

Boat spec is now finalized and ordered. Thank you all for your help (in this thread and PM's).
Ribcraft (Jason) was very helpful in making the package. My choice was made out of Humber, XS and Ribcraft. Ribcraft won!

Still open: engine spec 225 or 175, electrics (plotter and VHF). Boat will probably on display at Southhampton boatshow in September.

Hope to see you soon on the water!

Q.

Ribcraft 6.8m Basic Boat
including the following items Ice White / BlueSpray for Interior
- Commercial Specification Hypalon inflation tubes with colour choice Ocean Blue
- External tube looped lifelines, with 'D' ring tube patches Black
- 'D' section rubbing strake fendering. Black.
- Anti-Slip decking finish in either in Orange
- Upholstery Colour: "Blue with White or Orange piping TBA
- Under deck trunking system for all cables.
- Aft deck water collection sump
- Elephant trunk style deck drainers 4" minimum
- Stainless steel bow winch eye strong point and transom mounted towing eyes.
- Whale Supersub Smart 650 automatic bilge pump wired to console, includes skinfitting, hose and carling switch. ISO15083
- Foot pump and emergency tube repair kit
- Anchor locker, hatch and deck tie off cleat

Console and Seating
Offshore console complete with front seat, stowage locker, upholstery, access hatch, passenger
stainless steel grab rail and spray windscreen including stainless wrap round steel grab rail
2 One person jockey seat with hinged seat, stainless steel backrest with bolster and seat securing latch.
2 Two person jockey seat with hinged seat, stainless steel backrest with bolster and seat securing latch.
4 Wing side supports for one man jockey seats
2 Deck matrix and jockey seat base to enable double jockey seat to be removed.
1 Lewmar anchor locker hatch upgrade ilo of standard anchor locker hatch size 40
Console Special Requirements
1 Handle Position to higher up the console
Extra cleat in the bow for mooring
4x Hooks at the front for securing goods

Fuel Systems
1 gallon (180 litre) approx stainless steel under deck fuel tank with water separating fuel filter, console recess filler, Perko filler with integrated breather, emergency shut of valve, electronic fuel sender and fuel gauge. ISO 21487

A' Frame
1 Heavy duty stainless steel double 'A' Frame manufactured from 2" tubing. Mounted to transom.
High tow point included for water-skiing.
1 Stainless steel cages with dry boxes (priced per pair)
1 Radar extension hoop for A frame with Echomax reflector beneath

Tube Accessories
7 Over Pressure Release Valves, One per chamber
1 Reinforced tubes at bow, 200mm above 'D' section at the bow section and incorporating rubber roller fairlead for retaining anchor line.
1 Upgrade of the standard 1300 gsm Orca 828 Hypalon to 1500 gsm Orca 866 Hypalon.
4 Rubber grab handle bonded to tube.
4 Wear patches bonded to tube

Steering System
1 Single engine "Seastar" outboard hydraulic steering system including helm pump, engine ram, all hoses and all installation costs (For single engines up to 225hp)

Electrical and Instruments
1 Series 25 Navigation lights wired to console with carling switch, Port, Starboard and all-round white. (The all around white can be individually illuminated via the two position switch).
1 Ribcraft six way electrical distribution box with battery isolator bus bar and fuse board (Required for electrical & electronic installations).
1 A Frame mounted spot light for deck illumination.
1 Upgrade of the above distribution boxes to incorporate a Twin battery system with change over switch (only for single engines)

Miscellaneous
1 Stainless steel engine bolt lock fitted (Usually and insurance requirement)
1 2 litre foam fire extinguisher housed in console GRP recess.
1 Keelguard running full length of the hull
1 Stainless steel lifting points, Four point (for use if you are lifting the boat via crane or davit)
1 Boarding ladder mounted

Power option
Outfitting and Installation of Outboard Motor including the supply of battery, battery cables,
battery housing, control cables, ISO 7840 fuel line and all other small parts.

1 SUZUKI DF175 TX EFI four stroke outboard motor Including propeller, tachometer and remote control box (power trim and extra long shaft).
Warranty: Pan European Two years leisure and commercial (Any business including sailing clubs
etc). Any UK Suzuki carries and EXTRA Three Years warranty for Leisure usage adding to Five
Years in total.
Old 23 July 2010, 13:28   #12

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
Congratulations Q - sounds a cracking boat and i hope you get many hours of fun out of her
Old 24 July 2010, 09:52   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Sure you made RIGHT choice

I,m sure you will be more than pleased with the Ribcraft!! The boys over there look after you too!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 10:07   #14

Town: North Wales
Boat name: Maverick
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
MMSI: 235068145
Agree - Ribcraft - defo right choice !

awesome - sure you're well excited. Have you got a name for the rib yet?

If you can defo get into the factory to take some shots of the build stages - I took loads but wish I had taken more of the hull fabrication, underfloor electrics, fuel tank installation etc - really useful to look back on ..