Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2010, 03:15   #1

Length: under 3m
Please help me indentify this Avon Supersport RIB (PICS!)

My landlord (shes like 90) has agreed to let me have full access to her RIB in exchange for a few chores and helping her with some small projects occasionally. its a great deal, she has a private dock and it just sits there, right outside the house in the bay.

only problem is I dont know how to operate it, or even what it is exactly. She sure as hell doesnt know either.

If anyone has some info on this boat, or an owner/operating manual, or whatever i would need to figure it out, I would be very grateful. If you have any questions just ask and ill see what i can find.

Old 20 July 2010, 09:29   #2

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Avon 3.45

It was known as a Avon Seasport 345.

Great for sheltered waters but a very wet ride in choppy conditions, even with the missing windscreen fitted. Tends to bury the bow in head seas resulting in gallons of water on your lap.

Quick, manoeuvrable, fun little boat for lakes and sheltered coastal waters.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:14   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welvcome!

Nissan engine = Tohatsu. Might find a manual on their website?
Old 20 July 2010, 17:50   #4

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
only problem is I dont know how to operate it, or even what it is exactly. She sure as hell doesnt know either.

If anyone has some info on this boat, or an owner/operating manual, or whatever i would need to figure it out, I would be very grateful. If you have any questions just ask and ill see what i can find.

Have you any boat handling experience? I only ask because you say you don't know how to operate it. Are you planning to service the outboard yourself or have it done professionally because it looks in need of some TLC before I would even attempt to start it (make sure it is in the water before starting). There is corrosion on the outside of the outboard which is fairly easy for a novice to have a go at but what about the inside of the outboard. If it has been stood for a long period it will probably need a new impeller, thermostat, oil change, spark plugs and leads etc. Whatever you decide to do you will get plenty of advice from the wonderful people on RIBnet.
Old 20 July 2010, 17:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
It was known as a Avon Seasport 345.

Great for sheltered waters but a very wet ride in choppy conditions, even with the missing windscreen fitted. Tends to bury the bow in head seas resulting in gallons of water on your lap.

Quick, manoeuvrable, fun little boat for lakes and sheltered coastal waters.

You will enjoy it I'm sure.
haha, it looks like it would dump water on everyone in it. Thats ok, I dont mind, and the vast majority of the time id just be putting around the bay. I'm really looking forward to using it.
Old 20 July 2010, 17:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Welvcome!

Nissan engine = Tohatsu. Might find a manual on their website?
Thanks, I'll see what i can find.
Old 20 July 2010, 18:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post

Have you any boat handling experience? I only ask because you say you don't know how to operate it. Are you planning to service the outboard yourself or have it done professionally because it looks in need of some TLC before I would even attempt to start it (make sure it is in the water before starting). There is corrosion on the outside of the outboard which is fairly easy for a novice to have a go at but what about the inside of the outboard. If it has been stood for a long period it will probably need a new impeller, thermostat, oil change, spark plugs and leads etc. Whatever you decide to do you will get plenty of advice from the wonderful people on RIBnet.
I have minimal boating experience and absolutely zero boat service experience. I figure this little guy is probably about as simple as they come for a beginner (wrong?), and I would love to learn how to take care of it and get it all polished (for as little $ as possible). I plan on taking it to a local shop that deals with RIBs and having them take a look at it and go over whatever issues they find with me. I would love any advice from the forum too I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 20 July 2010, 18:10   #8

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Please make sure you wear a life-jacket! It's very easy to end up in the water....

Not sure if this engine needs a kill-cord (a safety device that is worn by the operator and kills the engine if you fall out). Someone here may know.
Old 22 July 2010, 00:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Please make sure you wear a life-jacket! It's very easy to end up in the water....

Not sure if this engine needs a kill-cord (a safety device that is worn by the operator and kills the engine if you fall out). Someone here may know.
I dont know anything about a kill cord, maybe someone else on the forum can comment?

bump!
Old 22 July 2010, 06:15   #10

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
On the throttle they maybe a little black tab or nipple like button sticking out, a fitting clips onto this allowing the engine to run.
If it all goes a bit t!ts up and you end up going for a swim when you didn't want to it will cut the engine as soon as the cord becomes detatched from the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yrig1.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	52896   Click image for larger version

Name:	universal-kill-cord.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	52897  
Old 22 July 2010, 07:17   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Some basic points:

Fuel: that engine is a 2 stroke, so you need to pre-mix marine 2 stroke (TCW3 grade) oil in with the fuel. Someone on here will tell you the correct ratio for that engine but it's likely to be somewhere in the region of 50-100 parts fuel to one part oil. Make sure you put the oil in otherwise the engine will blow up!

The fuel obviously goes in the red tank which will connect to the engine using a pipe and a little clip on connector.

Once you've done that you need to get the engine in the water. There is a latch on the left hand side as you face it from the inside of the boat. You'll need to pull the engine up slightly by hand before releasing the latch and lowing it into the water. Once its in the water its ready to start.

As stated make sure the kill cord if fitted otherwise it wont start. You'll need to give it some choke and revs to get it going if its been stood for a while. On the throttle control there should be a lever (not the actual throttle/gear lever but another, most probably flat lever) which allows you to rev it up out of gear. Pop that up about 1/3 of the way up, and apply the choke (most probably a little nob on the front of the engine that you pull out). That engine appears to be pull start (if its got electric start as well put the key in the ignition and turn it over). Pull on the cord a few times until it starts. Once you've got it running push the choke back in and reduce the fast idle level until its just ticking over.

As has been said, wear a life jacket! When you're ready to go, undo any lines attached to the dock, and off you go! You'll find the easiest way to get away from the dock is to reverse off with the steering wheel left hand down from the position the boat is in, in the photos. Once you're clear you can put the boat into forwards and off you go. I'd imagine that thing is quite flighty so take it easy to start off with until you get a feel for it. Make sure you ALWAY wear the killcord - wrap it around your leg once then clip it back on it's self. This will stop the boat (and stop it running you or anyone else) over should you fall out.

Servicing it is a very simply procedure. Providing you can operate a set of spanners you should be able to do this. You'll need to change the gear case oil, change the plugs, and probably change the impeller. You'll need to get the boat out of the water to do all of that. The impeller is the only tricky bit for a novice. Might be worth seeing if you can get someone else to do the first service, but ask if you can watch so you know how to do it next time.
Old 22 July 2010, 08:07   #12

And the red bit on the control lever is an "anti knock it into gear accidentally" device, lift it to move the control lever out of neutral (fwd or reverse) and from then on you can ignore it.

It will also have some form of "anti start in gear" - if it's a pull start, you won't be able to pull the cord (mechanical latch) and if electric start it won't turn over if in gear.

Usual way to tell if it's electric start is there will be a key switch like your car on the back of the control lever box. (AKA " the remotes") That's where you will likely find the deadman switch.

Assuming the engione hasn't run for a while be exra careful with the throttle- if there is a gummed up blockafge of oil (the petrol evaporates leaving the thicker oil in the carb) when it finally re -dissolves in the petrol you could get a "nitous moment" where your chugging slow smoking thing suddenly takes off like a scalded cat. If you put it in for a service that shouldn't happen!

As has been said - Lifejacket & kill cord are a must! Might even be worth asking the shop to give you a tour / driving lesson? 25Hp on that will be a hoot!
Old 24 July 2010, 02:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
On the throttle they maybe a little black tab or nipple like button sticking out, a fitting clips onto this allowing the engine to run.
If it all goes a bit t!ts up and you end up going for a swim when you didn't want to it will cut the engine as soon as the cord becomes detatched from the throttle.
ahh gotcha, super simple. thanks!
Old 25 July 2010, 23:38   #14

well, this boat definitely has some issues. from what ive learned, the engine hasnt been run in a year or two, and the right side has a hole/leak (sounds like a fixable thing) in the outer tubing (forgive me, i do not know the correct names for the parts of a RIB).

it does appear to have a kill cord already attached to it, so thats cool.

the boat, like i said, hasnt been operated in years and is in need of some serious work. I would imagine the engine has some issues...sounds like it could be expensive to keep working.

does anyone know if i can transport it just in the back of a truck? do i need to attach it to a trailer hitch? i want to take it to a local shop and have them take a look at the whole thing...unless someone lives in newport beach, ca and would be so kind as to take a look at it in exchange for a beer or two...good beer.
Old 25 July 2010, 23:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Some basic points:

Fuel: that engine is a 2 stroke, so you need to pre-mix marine 2 stroke (TCW3 grade) oil in with the fuel. Someone on here will tell you the correct ratio for that engine but it's likely to be somewhere in the region of 50-100 parts fuel to one part oil. Make sure you put the oil in otherwise the engine will blow up!

The fuel obviously goes in the red tank which will connect to the engine using a pipe and a little clip on connector.

Once you've done that you need to get the engine in the water. There is a latch on the left hand side as you face it from the inside of the boat. You'll need to pull the engine up slightly by hand before releasing the latch and lowing it into the water. Once its in the water its ready to start.

As stated make sure the kill cord if fitted otherwise it wont start. You'll need to give it some choke and revs to get it going if its been stood for a while. On the throttle control there should be a lever (not the actual throttle/gear lever but another, most probably flat lever) which allows you to rev it up out of gear. Pop that up about 1/3 of the way up, and apply the choke (most probably a little nob on the front of the engine that you pull out). That engine appears to be pull start (if its got electric start as well put the key in the ignition and turn it over). Pull on the cord a few times until it starts. Once you've got it running push the choke back in and reduce the fast idle level until its just ticking over.

As has been said, wear a life jacket! When you're ready to go, undo any lines attached to the dock, and off you go! You'll find the easiest way to get away from the dock is to reverse off with the steering wheel left hand down from the position the boat is in, in the photos. Once you're clear you can put the boat into forwards and off you go. I'd imagine that thing is quite flighty so take it easy to start off with until you get a feel for it. Make sure you ALWAY wear the killcord - wrap it around your leg once then clip it back on it's self. This will stop the boat (and stop it running you or anyone else) over should you fall out.

Servicing it is a very simply procedure. Providing you can operate a set of spanners you should be able to do this. You'll need to change the gear case oil, change the plugs, and probably change the impeller. You'll need to get the boat out of the water to do all of that. The impeller is the only tricky bit for a novice. Might be worth seeing if you can get someone else to do the first service, but ask if you can watch so you know how to do it next time.
totally missed your post. thank you so much for your time and all the info
Old 25 July 2010, 23:49   #16

Quote:
And the red bit on the control lever is an "anti knock it into gear accidentally" device, lift it to move the control lever out of neutral (fwd or reverse) and from then on you can ignore it.

It will also have some form of "anti start in gear" - if it's a pull start, you won't be able to pull the cord (mechanical latch) and if electric start it won't turn over if in gear.

Usual way to tell if it's electric start is there will be a key switch like your car on the back of the control lever box. (AKA " the remotes") That's where you will likely find the deadman switch.

Assuming the engione hasn't run for a while be exra careful with the throttle- if there is a gummed up blockafge of oil (the petrol evaporates leaving the thicker oil in the carb) when it finally re -dissolves in the petrol you could get a "nitous moment" where your chugging slow smoking thing suddenly takes off like a scalded cat. If you put it in for a service that shouldn't happen!

As has been said - Lifejacket & kill cord are a must! Might even be worth asking the shop to give you a tour / driving lesson? 25Hp on that will be a hoot!
thank you too you all have been very, very helpful. I'm definitely willing to drop a little $ into this thing if it needs some servicing/repairs, and i will certainly watch and learn.

thanks again!!
Old 26 July 2010, 10:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaltan View Post
well, this boat definitely has some issues. from what ive learned, the engine hasnt been run in a year or two, and the right side has a hole/leak (sounds like a fixable thing) in the outer tubing (forgive me, i do not know the correct names for the parts of a RIB).
Non running engine may or may not be a problem - I have a '72 vintage machine that goes out once every third solstice, and usually starts third or 4th pull. (and Pol, before you extract anything, there was a significant bit missing from the throttle linkage that day! ) Having said that, even if it starts, if you're not familiar with these things, it's probably worth getting a service even if just for peace of mind. As for the hole, I assume it's in the inflatable bit? If so, the material is Hypalon. Plenty of pre packaged repair kits out there- it's no worse than fixing a puncture on a bike tyre, just uses different glue. Even if you've never fixed a puncture, the kits come with instructions.

Quote:
it does appear to have a kill cord already attached to it, so thats cool.

Quote:
the boat, like i said, hasnt been operated in years and is in need of some serious work. I would imagine the engine has some issues...sounds like it could be expensive to keep working.
If it ran before it was "mothballed", the chances are it will not need anything too expensive. The three things I would expect a service to do are change the gearbox oil, the water pump impeller and the spark plugs. As it;s not run for a while they may need to remove & clean the carbs, but other than that, there's not a lot to go wrong with a 2- stroke.

Quote:
does anyone know if i can transport it just in the back of a truck? do i need to attach it to a trailer hitch? i want to take it to a local shop and have them take a look at the whole thing...unless someone lives in newport beach, ca and would be so kind as to take a look at it in exchange for a beer or two...good beer.
Much as I'd love to take you up on that offer......

Back of a truck - no reason why not. Unless it has some form of launching trolley, you may need to wedge it somehow to stop it falling over failing that, for towing it unless it has a road trailer, come back & we can tell you what to borrow! Depending on the location of your chosen shop, they may be able to come round & tow it back by water. or do a "home visit". (e.g if you have a 200 foot cruiser, you can't just throw it in the back of a truck, so they likely will have a mobile workshop / mechanic).
Old 26 July 2010, 13:44   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I have a '72 vintage machine that goes out once every third solstice, and usually starts third or 4th pull. (and Pol, before you extract anything, there was a significant bit missing from the throttle linkage that day! )
of course it does start quicker when the kill cord is engaged