Old 29 September 2007, 13:30   #1

Town: Sussex
Length: 5m +
Please help me...

Hello,

I am new to boating and have until now been looking at buying a 20 foot bowrider with a 3 litre 130hp mercruider inboard. I was looking to spend upto 12k. I liked the bowrider as they are quick (about 35 knots), can pull toys, wakeboards in the warmer summer months and will also allow some fishing / swimming as well as the wife sunbathing lol.

My biggest downside to this option is the running cost. A 3 litre bowrider (smallest engine they come with) will only do about 1 mile per litre of fuel cruising at 3500 rpm, about 30 knots. That works out at about 5 MPG. The running/service costs of the inboard and legs etc also seem very high.

Now for why I am here >>>>>>>>>>.

I have always loved ribs and would much prefer one to anything else but am not sure they can offer what I need. I would really appreciate if anyone can answer a few questions:

1. May seem a stupid question but can you fish from one safely ? Hooks and air chambers ??

2. Would a 5-6 metre rib with a 60 hp outboard be able to handle a cross solent trip from Chichester to IOW (family live there) on a sensible calm day ?

3. Can anyone give me a rough idea on fuel usage for a 5/6 m rib with a 60 hp ?

4. I have seen a few ribs with a swim ladder on the back is this something that can be added to most to allow for summer swimming?

5. Is it possible to add fixings for pulling inflatables ?

6. I enjoy fishing a mile of so offshore. Given the amount of rain we get, are there any covers that could be fitted that would offer some rain protection to allow for fishing?

Sorry for all the questions but I am going round in circles trying to decide what the best boat for me is. I ned to be able to
1. swim from it
2. fish from it (ideally have a cover to protect from rain)
3. pull some toys
4. Go to IOW

Many thanks
Old 29 September 2007, 14:11   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrich View Post
1. May seem a stupid question but can you fish from one safely ? Hooks and air chambers ??
Yes, but take care with the hooks. Lots of RIB users do a bit of fishing. The advantage of a RIB over a bowrider for fishing is the RIB won't have a carpet covered in scales and guts, so is easier to keep clean.

Quote:
2. Would a 5-6 metre rib with a 60 hp outboard be able to handle a cross solent trip from Chichester to IOW (family live there) on a sensible calm day ?
Yes, but if you go over 5m, you should be looking at a more powerful motor than that. Most RIBs around 5.5m tend to have around 90-115hp.

Quote:
As a guess, I'd say a 60hp fourstroke on a 5m RIB would cruise at around 25 kt and burn around 0.5litres/nm.
Quote:
4. I have seen a few ribs with a swim ladder on the back is this something that can be added to most to allow for summer swimming?
That shouldn't be a problem on a RIB with a reasonable beam - I had one on a 5.5m RIB with a 2.4m beam - there was plenty of room on the transom for it. If you have an A-frame, that will make climbing in a bit awkward - easy solution is to use a rope ladder, fixed to the A-frame and slung over the toob
Quote:
Yes - most RIBs will have a couple of U bolts fitted to the transom for this.
Quote:
6. I enjoy fishing a mile of so offshore. Given the amount of rain we get, are there any covers that could be fitted that would offer some rain protection to allow for fishing?
You're being silly now, but anything's possible
A mile offshore isn't that far out for you to turn around and get back, or just take a coat with you.
Pete 7 on here rigged a big golf umbrella, that made his RIB look like a marquee
Have you seen the yellow Ribtec Camel RIBs - these have a 'roof rack' Jono Garton on this forum adapted one for a Bimini top which I think he's now sold to Martha Focker, on here also. Check the gallery on this forum.

Good luck - I think a RIB will suit your needs, as most users on this forum tend to use their boats for similar purposes.
Old 29 September 2007, 17:34   #3

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Definitely forget the bowrider, they're shite.

A rib sounds just right for you.
Old 29 September 2007, 18:00   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
A ribeye 5 mtr shoule prove reliable and economical and will handle yoru trips near shore as a mile or so is only a quick dart for these boats.
They have a nice finish and bring a golf umbrella.

If you want offshore rib they tend to be deeper v hulls and use more juice. Also for your budget you will be in the "rough end"

There are many Ribeye and Ribtec boats for sale and 5 mtr is fine.
Check Boats and outboards also for a few extra bucks you could have ballistic 5.5mtr.

With regard tolength, I hear today that a Chap of eastern origin stole a 12 ft day dingy from france as was "rescued" 200 miles off SW of Kerry Ireland.
Now that I call Offshore. It was a sailing dingy. I would like to know the make of that DIngy!!!!!

If you want to pull toys, keep it to two stroke Full motor on small rib. They are cheaper to buy and have more OOmph off the mark.
Again check Ribeye 5 mtr as I like the fit out and finish with 80Yam 4 stroke.
DOnt know though if this engine is enough to pull 17stone man on mono ski out of H20.

There are many options but bring loved ones to trial as RiBs tend to offer little free board and Your partner may want "Sides" to Boat.
Old 29 September 2007, 18:09   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post

'ere, have you been sniffing Benzene again Jonny? You're being nice and sensible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrich
Hello,

I am new to boating and have until now been looking at buying a 20 foot bowrider with a 3 litre 130hp mercruider inboard. I was looking to spend upto 12k. I liked the bowrider as they are quick (about 35 knots), can pull toys, wakeboards in the warmer summer months and will also allow some fishing / swimming as well as the wife sunbathing lol.

My biggest downside to this option is the running cost. A 3 litre bowrider (smallest engine they come with) will only do about 1 mile per litre of fuel cruising at 3500 rpm, about 30 knots. That works out at about 5 MPG. The running/service costs of the inboard and legs etc also seem very high.

Now for why I am here >>>>>>>>>>.

I have always loved ribs and would much prefer one to anything else but am not sure they can offer what I need. I would really appreciate if anyone can answer a few questions:

I fish from mine-it's actually very hard to hook a properly inflated tube and you'd have to be trying very hard to puncture one.
Quote:
Easily-a 6m will do it without it being too much work on a bad day if you're capable with it-though I wouldn't put a 60hp on a 6m rib as it'll be very underpowered.I'd put twice that on a 6m- There's a BIG difference between 5m and 6m-a 6m boat will feel almost twice the size.
Quote:
Downhilldai's about right for a 5m rib but your best bet is to go and sea trial some boats-they vary wildly. Don't rule out anything til you've tried it.

Quote:
Yes as long as the transom is wide enough. It's actually possible to buy a ladder to go over the tubes too.

Quote:
yep, D-rings etc as DHD said.

Quote:
Possibly-as DHD said. I find that a drysuit works far better than a cover and you can hose yourself down afterwards

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2007, 18:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
'ere, have you been sniffing Benzene again Jonny? You're being nice and sensible!

Well we wouldn't want someone who's attracted to bowriders joining our gang, would we....they're worse that you lot.
Old 29 September 2007, 18:47   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
If you are Chichester Harbour based and want to be able to come and go in almost any conditions it has to be a RIB! You may know the bar can get quite interesting in certain wind/tide combinations.A binliner will not be something you want to be on if it starts to kick up a bit . A return from Priory Bay after a lovely day on the beach can turn to sheer nightmare if the wind picks up a bit with a big ebb .
Old 29 September 2007, 18:59   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
There is nothing wrong with a bow rider as such - just the companies that make them. They tend to be American calm water pleasure boats. They are very popular in the UK as people are swayed by the number of cupholders and the fancy seating and stereo systems. Women love them!!!

Having known a few people with Stinkers and Binliners they are well named. Fanatastic on a flat calm day but anything over a 3' chop and look out. I offered to tow a mate's Rinker on it's trailer the other day - Swansea Bay was pretty calm and yet it took him ages to get across - speeds down to 15mph - I would have been flat out in the RIB.

When I did my powerboat level 2 there was a bloke who had a Rinker with us. We had a great time in the waves and it was quite a small RIB. The previous day the instructor had been out on the Rinker with the bloke. You could tell from their comments the Rinker had not been much fun and the bloke was seriously regretting not getting a RIB.
Old 29 September 2007, 22:21   #9

Guys,

Thanks for your comments, you have been really really helpful. I have always loved ribs but not sure if they would meet my needs. From all the replies it sounds like if I get the right one it would. If I have got this right.

1. A 5 metre + with a deep v hull and about 115 hp will be more than capable of going across the solent from Chichester to IOW. It will also be good in choppy water and will be more than able to pull the odd inflatable during summer months.

2. If the rib does not have a fitted ladder, I can get a rope one that goes over the tubes.

3. You all hate bowriders lol

OK, if thats right, I have another couple of questions...

1. On a 5-6 metre rib with a 115 engine what kind of fuel does it burn? I know the 3 litre 135 hp bowrider at 3500 rpm (its most economical cruise speed at 28 knots) does 5 mpg. I appreciate it varies on sea conditions, rib type and engine make but a rough idea or anyone knows.

2. I see some have built in fuel tanks and others have removable. I guess the advantage to removable is to fill them at a garage and save on marine pump prices. On the other hand, built in must hold more so longer range. Anyone got any suggestions / preferences to which ?

3. I have found a good prices water berth. At very low tide, the boat would sit on the mud. Would this be ok for a deep v hull rib ?

4. I was told not to keep a bowrider in the water as antifowling them is not good for performance or resale value. Is this the same for a rib? For several reasons I do not want to trailer it. My marina wants £1200 per year for a boat park (is only 9x5 and have to wait for them to launch and recover) but the pontoon I have found on the river is only £600 per year. Clearly the pontoon is my best option for cost and ease. Anyone got any opinions?

Many thanks, hopefully I should soon know what I need to buy one and get the right one!!!

Thanks again
Old 29 September 2007, 23:06   #10

Quote:
1. A 5 metre + with a deep v hull and about 115 hp will be more than capable of going across the solent from Chichester to IOW. It will also be good in choppy water and will be more than able to pull the odd inflatable during summer months.
Yes, but you'd get away with a 90hp. If you're going to berth it, rather than regularly launch & recover, I'd recommend something a bit bigger - as Nos says, the difference between a 5m and a 6m in rough seas is huge. If you go for a 6m deep v hull RIB, you'll need at least 115hp to get the best of it, but try a few out to see how they compare.

Quote:
2. If the rib does not have a fitted ladder, I can get a rope one that goes over the tubes.
Yes - will cost about a tenner

Quote:
1. On a 5-6 metre rib with a 115 engine what kind of fuel does it burn? I know the 3 litre 135 hp bowrider at 3500 rpm (its most economical cruise speed at 28 knots) does 5 mpg. I appreciate it varies on sea conditions, rib type and engine make but a rough idea or anyone knows.
If you're looking at a 4-stroke or modern 2-stroke (Optimax, e-tec or TLDI), then somewhere around 0.8 litres/nm, cruising at around 28-30 kt.

Quote:
2. I see some have built in fuel tanks and others have removable. I guess the advantage to removable is to fill them at a garage and save on marine pump prices. On the other hand, built in must hold more so longer range. Anyone got any suggestions / preferences to which ?
You can fill jerry cans at a garage and pour the contents into your inbuilt tank.
Loose tanks take deck space and you'll have to swap the fuel line between tanks when they run dry. Inbuilt tank below deck is the best option - costly though. Go for as big a tank as you can afford - you don't have to fill it to the brim.

Quote:
3. I have found a good prices water berth. At very low tide, the boat would sit on the mud. Would this be ok for a deep v hull rib ?

4. I was told not to keep a bowrider in the water as antifowling them is not good for performance or resale value. Is this the same for a rib? For several reasons I do not want to trailer it. My marina wants £1200 per year for a boat park (is only 9x5 and have to wait for them to launch and recover) but the pontoon I have found on the river is only £600 per year. Clearly the pontoon is my best option for cost and ease. Anyone got any opinions?
Mud is fine - if it dries out regularly, you may get away without anti-foul, but a regular (monthly) scrub & power wash will also avoid the need to anti-foul.
Antifoul can affect resale value as it's ugly and is known to be used as a cover-up for hull repairs - shouldn't cost you much on performance though.
Where is the Marina / river mooring? People here may be able to comment through experience.

What's your budget and are you looking to buy new or used?
Old 30 September 2007, 02:44   #11

Thanks for that, the mooring I found was in Littlehampton harbour near the yacht club (not the actual marina as that very pricy)

I don't mind new or used, I have up to 12k to spend. I don't think I will get a 6 meter and a 115 hp on the back for that much new so will probably be used I thinks.
Old 30 September 2007, 07:42   #12

Another alternative if you want a quality boat, that will fit more of your 'family requirements' is a Shakespeare 650 (21 footer) (this is a hardboat though!)

Martin Curry on this site had one for sale a while ago, don't know if he still has it.

They're beatifuly made, beatifully styled, good hull design, great performance, sunbathing area for the missus, and if you choose to stay over on the island, or anywhere, it has a wee cuddy cabin to bed down for the night, camper hood etc, a real weekender. It's a stern drive though, so a little thirsty, but I think Martins one only has the 4.3l V6 motor, which was the smallest option for that boat.

They really are a lovely little boat, built by a decent manufacturer who cares about his product (Shakespeare/Francis Whitley), will be perfectly safe, contrary to what some idiots on here might want you to believe (their minds are damaged) and would serve far more family purposes than an open work boat (rib) or stupid bowrider.

Here is the advert from Martin, as I say, don't know if he still has it. He's a nice honest guy, so I'm sure it's a genuine boat.

Oh, and by the way, it's 3.5k under your budget.

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8894
Old 30 September 2007, 09:57   #13

Make: extreme 24
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
i have seen martins boat a few times and it is lovely,excellent condition,if its still for sale its a bargain,so much room for the size of boat .
Old 30 September 2007, 10:30   #14

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Thought Martin sold it a while ago and bought a Zapcat/Thunderbolt which he's also selling/sold.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 10:35   #15

Quote:
I don't mind new or used, I have up to 12k to spend. I don't think I will get a 6 meter and a 115 hp on the back for that much new so will probably be used I thinks.
No you won't get new for that. A decent 6m RIB with seating for 5-6 and inbuilt fuel tank will be around £8k - £9k and a 115hp 4-stroke outboard will be around £6500, so that's around £15k before you start adding on any toys.

Mollers has been talking of selling his 6.5m Osprey Vipermax with 150 Opti, but it may be a touch outside your budget, 'cos he's a greedy bastud.
No Cabin and no tent though
Old 30 September 2007, 15:35   #16

Hi,

Does this seema good price ??

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F157242
Old 30 September 2007, 16:54   #17

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Might be of interest!

Hi

I am selling my Avon 5.6 Rib - You have a Message!

Stuart
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 22:03   #18

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Johnny Fuller recommending a RIB now thats something I never thought I would see.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post

Old 30 September 2007, 22:16   #19

Make: Joker Booat
Engine: Yam 70
Taken from another forum but may be of interest. It is talking about the yamaha F115 4 stroke. GPH are US Gallons. If you do a search on Google for US Gallons to litres you can convert the figures into litres.

'According to that report, fuel consumption for the F115 is as follows:

RPMs GPHs
1.0k 0.7
2.0k 1.3
3.0k 3.0
4.0k 4.6
5.0k 7.1
6.0k 9.8

At the mid point between each of the RPM ranges, I estimate the following consumption

RPMs GPHs
0.5k 0.4
1.5k 1.0
2.5k 2.2
3.5k 3.8
4.5k 5.9
5.5k 8.5
Old 30 September 2007, 22:23   #20

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
In answer to the original query, and to qualify my comments before they are shot down in flames........

If you felt a RIB was appropriate to your needs, as there are many other excellent types of boat out there, you might be interested in looking at the earlier thread about our rib, which for talking's sake just happens to be a smaller boat, with a smaller engine, which is still very capable of most of the things you asked about, and which we are very happy with.

Cheers