Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
PLB Registration - at last

Just received in the post today my formal PLB registration

Submitted the form on 9 Sept 2017. Only taken 16 months.

Even for a government organisation that is slow. Do I hold the record?

My customers expect paperwork completed & returned within 24 hours - even if I'm using a sub-contractor!
Old 11 January 2019, 17:55   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Just received in the post today my formal PLB registration

Submitted the form on 9 Sept 2017. Only taken 16 months.

Even for a government organisation that is slow. Do I hold the record?

My customers expect paperwork completed & returned within 24 hours - even if I'm using a sub-contractor!

You should ask for your money back...
Old 11 January 2019, 19:16   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I use the same registry for my PLB. I've spoken to personnel in Falmouth a couple of times and found them to be gents. It's a service that I will judge by the speed of the response to my pressing the button, rather than their paperwork...

Old 12 January 2019, 08:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I use the same registry for my PLB. I've spoken to personnel in Falmouth a couple of times and found them to be gents. It's a service that I will judge by the speed of the response to my pressing the button, rather than their paperwork...
Mr Wilk,
I too have spoken with the people / person in Falmouth doing this- agree very pleasant.

My point is if it's a legal requirement to register these devices, then it should be done with a reasonable level of efficiency / adequate resource ,otherwise what's the point of the exercise? - there will be thousands or tens of thousands of unregistered devices in circulation/ use.

If the emergency services will respond to a PLB activation without the official registration anyway, - which is the case - why go through the admin?.....if it needs to be registered first there are thousands of people at risk through this long delay in processing.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:30   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
there will be thousands or tens of thousands of unregistered devices in circulation/ use.

If the emergency services will respond to a PLB activation without the official registration anyway, - which is the case - why go through the admin?.....if it needs to be registered first there are thousands of people at risk through this long delay in processing.
Mister Woof,

What makes you think they aren't "registered"?

My understanding from Falmouth was that the devices were processed very quickly and that the cert and sticker production/delivery was a secondary consideration.

Yours in boating,

W. Illk
Old 12 January 2019, 08:48   #6

Quote:
<snip>
otherwise what's the point of the exercise? - <snip>
Of course they respond to an unregistered device. How could they justify leaving you to drown because of what could be a simple admin error.

But there are lots of dots to be joined to build the SAR picture.

Scenario 1:

LakelandTerrier has gone out on his RIB. He has a major problem and has ended up in the water, he is off-shore out of handheld VHF range. Out of mobile phone range. He presses the magic button on his PLB. Satellites do their thing and the alert arrives in Falmouth, hopefully with a position but usually without a proper fix first. They look you up on the paperwork submitted (even if you haven't had the certificate). They call your mobile. Straight to voicemail. They call your shore contact. They say they know you are out on the boat today but haven't heard from you that there is a problem. They know where you launch from. They can confirm what your RIB looks like etc and that matches your registration information.

CG is now issuing an all ships message by VHF. CG is tasking resources. CG is tasking shore team to where you are thought to launch from. Search underway. People know what they are possibly looking for.

Scenario 2:
A newbie who didn't know to register, has done exactly the same. He is now in the water and pressed the magic button. CG have no shore details to confirm. Have no idea what they are looking for. Person in water? A boat? RIB? Yacht? A ship? One person or 6 or 18? An accidental activation? With an initial search zone of 5miles at best. What should they task? A helo? A ILB, an ALB? Shore Teams? All. Asking vessels in the area for information - but information about what...?

A search will happen. It will probably actually be kicked off around the same time. But they wont have a clue what to look for.

THAT is the reason you register - so that someone looking for you knows what you look like and can be found. So that if something goes wrong you can hopefully cancel a false alarm before every resource they can think of gets thrown at the [non]incident.

It seems crazy that your online form doesn't feed directly into their database (but it does avoid the risk that I somehow corrupt the database!), and the database doesn't then produce an automated certificate etc. But provided the online forms are searchable it doesn't make a huge difference... "Not in the database - check the online forms waiting to register"
Old 12 January 2019, 10:01   #7

Hi Shinyshoe,

But the registration from isn't even electronic - it is a paper from you have to fill out, scan and e-mail. so the poor administrator has a huge backlog of paper forms to input - which won't help in any search kicked off in the LONG interim.

What I can't reconcile is IF it's necessary to register these devices why a 15 month waiting time is acceptable. Ofcom regisiter radio licences / mmsi numbers within days.
Old 12 January 2019, 10:27   #8

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Due to stupid German regulations you cannot register a PLB to a boat . So since most of my trips are anyway in UK or Irish waters I asked Falmouth whether they would register my PLB there .
Guys were very polite and agreed to do so with the comment :

As a German National with a German flagged vessel this PLB should ideally be recoded
and re-registered in Germany, please advise if you intend to do so

The application I sent at the middle of December 2013 .
On the 9th of January 2014 job was done .
Old 12 January 2019, 14:31   #9

Quote:
Hi Shinyshoe,

But the registration from isn't even electronic - it is a paper from you have to fill out, scan and e-mail. so the poor administrator has a huge backlog of paper forms to input - which won't help in any search kicked off in the LONG interim.

What I can't reconcile is IF it's necessary to register these devices why a 15 month waiting time is acceptable. Ofcom regisiter radio licences / mmsi numbers within days.
Been a while since I did mine. I could swear I did it electronically...?
https://forms.dft.gov.uk/mca-sar-epirb/
So people sending in scanned paper forms must create them a right ball ache of admin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Due to stupid German regulations you cannot register a PLB to a boat . So since most of my trips are anyway in UK or Irish waters I asked Falmouth whether they would register my PLB there .
Guys were very polite and agreed to do so with the comment :

As a German National with a German flagged vessel this PLB should ideally be recorded
and re-registered in Germany, please advise if you intend to do so

The application I sent at the middle of December 2013 .
On the 9th of January 2014 job was done .
Mmm...

In a distress - your German HEX number will go to a German MRCC first - the GPS fix doesn't matter. They would then pass it to Falmouth with the location.

PLBs aren't really registered to a boat, but the UK has a space where you can say what boat you are *usually* on and if you are CG66 registered - I guess now Safetrx Registered.
Old 12 January 2019, 15:30   #10

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Mmm...
In a distress - your German HEX number will go to a German MRCC first
Even if it goes first to German MRCC - better like that than not being able at all to use the benefit of a PLB .
Thats the data submitted to Falmouth . In Germany this is not possible at all .
BTW - need to change the boat details now ..
Black Hawk is sold .

VESSEL: BLACK HAWK MAX. PERSONS ONBOARD: 16
TYPE: PLEASURE MMSI: 211579640
FV ID NO: CALLSIGN: DC 6417