Old 07 February 2013, 07:59   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Farnborough
Length: no boat
Piranha info

Hi everybody.

Does anybody have any experience with Piranha ribs? Specifically the 5.8? I'm looking to buy my first rib and the range out there of around the 6mtr mark is quite bewildering :-)

All advice or opinions gratefully received!

Many thanks for looking,
Cheers.
Old 07 February 2013, 10:55   #2

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Think they are now produced in Poland in a tie up with technomarine??

No first hand experience of them but sure others will.
Old 27 April 2013, 17:42   #3

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordir999 View Post
Hi everybody.

Does anybody have any experience with Piranha ribs? Specifically the 5.8? I'm looking to buy my first rib and the range out there of around the 6mtr mark is quite bewildering :-)

All advice or opinions gratefully received!

Many thanks for looking,
Cheers.
I have a 2012 polish build 5.8/6 metre Piranha and very pleased and well equipped. For our requirement which is leisure cruising around the islands off La Rochelle it is perfect. Our RIB was on their stand at the London Boat Show.
Old 27 April 2013, 18:07   #4

Town: Portsmouth Area
Boat name: Busy Bee
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki
Or you could look at Ribcraft, even visit both and compare
Old 09 May 2013, 20:45   #5

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Hey there! I have a piranha 5.8 with Suzuki 90 4st on the back.. Bought it 2 years ago.. It was the model boat in most of the adverts for the company.. Black tubes and a frame.. teak coloured decking ..Got a great deal on compete package with trailer back then, I live in Dublin so I transported it to it's happy new home! Fantastic boat that has seen many hours on the water at this stage! Engine is fantastic.. Very economical! Only problem i had at first was the engine was cavitating on turns... So we dropped the engine by and inch or 2 on the instruction of piranha themselves and it's worked perfect!! Anything else just get back to me!
Old 10 May 2013, 07:23   #6

Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha580 View Post
Hey there! I have a piranha 5.8 with Suzuki 90 4st on the back.. Bought it 2 years ago.. It was the model boat in most of the adverts for the company.. Black tubes and a frame.. teak coloured decking ..Got a great deal on compete package with trailer back then, I live in Dublin so I transported it to it's happy new home! Fantastic boat that has seen many hours on the water at this stage! Engine is fantastic.. Very economical! Only problem i had at first was the engine was cavitating on turns... So we dropped the engine by and inch or 2 on the instruction of piranha themselves and it's worked perfect!! Anything else just get back to me!
Not quite sure why there is not more on Piranha RIBs on Ribnet as they seem a great package for leisure ribbing. We have the Evinrude 90 ETEC on the back which is a good weight to power ratio. For our needs it ticked all the boxes for taking friends out for the day round the islands where we live. The folks down at Piranha Hayling Island are always very helpful and certainly fitted our boat out well for a decent price. We have not been out in really rough stuff yet but in smooth to moderate water we top out at around 36 MPH. Our son hopes to try wakeboarding behind her in August when he comes out to see us so hopefully this will be another tick in the box.

There are some pictures of our RIB 'Re lax' on the moored just off the beach here on the Piranha Facebook page.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:26   #7

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Great stuff I must check that out so.. It's great to hear back from other owners! Yeah I found the guys down there very friendly and helpful. That etec engine is fantastic, it was on one of the boats I tested when I went over first.. We've always had 4strokes on our boats so we just went for the Suzuki 4stroke 90hp for that reason... We've got 42 out of it with 3 people on board and we tried different props on it too.. It's amazing the difference a prop can make for take off and for too speed.. Might be something worth looking at yourself if your thinking of wakeboarding! ...