Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 July 2003, 08:15   #41

Boat name: Team 16/Phantom evo
the point we are trying to make is the boat is a stable rib that looks good and can run in all conditions.
I said the boat was good for 65+ in rough conditions I didn't say I would continuously run at that speed in those conditions but from experience a good driver would drive to the conditions and if it was a force ten which normal human being would take its boat off its trailer knowing the will get in to trouble at some stage of their journey resulting in unnessary call out to our already strethched RNLI service.
Old 26 July 2003, 09:49   #42

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
whitingiom,

Been round Scotland and across to the IOM 6 times when I owned my Sparrowhawk. Just keep the power on when going down the waves as the hard nose can be stuffed if you shut the throttles (learnt the hard way).

F6 is unpleasant in any small boat after a while, but just go out and have a play in the waves and she what she does. Perhaps F4 - F5 to start with.

Great little boat for her size.

Pete
Old 26 July 2003, 09:51   #43

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Normal People

Normal people RNLI , Fire boats, Pilot boats, Ferries,Police and Rescue boats often have to go out in F 8 9 10, They of course are work boats, but it happens .As I said about Redbays earlier I wont post something thats not true check the excerpt below its straight out of their brochure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quote.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2632  

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2003, 10:27   #44

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
No offence taken Crazy !

Your last point is well made...Horses for courses ! Truth be known I have a Nice Rinker with a Leather seats , sun Lounger and a Chevvy V8 down back which we nicknamed the Cadilac ! A lovely machine to go cruising around the lake with the family of a sunny afternoon. Funnily enough we spend most of our time tooodling along at 5 knots listening to the rumble of the motor !

Just as enjoyable ( in a different way) as cruising or Island hopping in the Ribs off of the West Coast !

Gavin's point is also well made. I would suggest that most of the experiences of heavy conditions shared by list members in recent postings were from or referred to Professionals who's duty at the time required them to be there in such conditions.

When I mentioned Lencraft and Delta as suitable craft for Atlantic Coast conditions I guess I should also have mentioned Redbay !

Strangely enough, even though they are built up the road from us in NI, I have driven only a handful of Redbays in my time. These were all through our Powerboat School ( Clients Boats ) So I have never yet, driven one of their larger commercial craft.

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2003, 11:19   #45
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Gavin
Sorry to be picky, but...........I dont think I am entirely happy with the Red Bay ad.
It looks to me as if it was written by someone in their Marketing Department (who cannot spell, and whose grammar is even worse than mine). The phraseology smacks more of Mr. A. Campbell than Mr. D. Honest ("up to force (sic) ten"?? and carrying 14 passengers PLUS the skipper in a 7.4m??).
Having said that, the Redbays are absolutely wonderful boats.

Pity about the Marketing Manager!
Old 26 July 2003, 16:53   #46

Deposit placed

Oh dear what have I started! Perhaps a bit more info should have been provided by me in the first place.

I live in Poole, Dorset not on the Atlantic coast.
A Redbay etc is overkill for my type of Weather & Budget.
I will mostly be out to blast over to the Isle of Wight or Lulworth cove (20 miles 'ish) & if it looks like a force 10 then I'm going to stay at home with a Brandy & thrash the Girlfriend instead:-)

Anyway, I've placed the deposit & hope to get the boat in 2 weeks (So stop reading this Neil & carry on building). I have placed my trust in Neils abilitity to produce a good boat & certainly realise he of all people should know a good hull when he see's one. I feel he has also done me a great deal on price & let me slip-in a few extra's at no extra charge. Nice bloke to deal with.

I first questioned the build quality because the boat has a red stripe stuck on the rubbing strip.......I didn't expect a piece of insulating tape round a 25 grand boat. Neil has now assured me Honda made him do it for the boat show. A small tear in the upholstry on a new boat.....kids & boat shows I guess.

Now I've got over my first impression the hull is superb with well designed spray rails & as you look down it there are no ripples etc that can be present in some badly built boats. The bucket seats, not to everone taste I know, are the only ones I,ve seen that are waterproof & the fit is wonderful. The consul should have a Toilet roll holder fitted (Blokes you know what I mean) its just sexy with good protection from wind, solidly built & enough room to walk past should you need to get upfront quickly. The whole front is an upholstered sun pad which we will use when the petrol runs out aswell as the occasional overnight stay. I'm 6' & can lay out straight on it.

Thanks for the advice Chaps & Fiona. I'll keep you informed as to how the boat performs in speed, handling & build quality.

Micheal
Bye the way, is anyone planning a trip to France from the Solent area? Would love to make the trip but only with a calm forecast.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:06   #47

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Marketing Managers :mad:

Well Team 16 I have maybe given you a rough time in this one,It should also be known that JF himself says the boats are built well and are good offshore boats as you have tweeked the chines so as to be an warped deadrise.giving good offshore stability in roughish whether.

The problem is we all now what the sea can be like and its when something goes wrong that the problems realy start. I can say if you like sports ribs this seems to be one of the best ,as JF points out that Neil is 7 times world champion in racing boats so he should no his stuff.

So to leave this subject and to be fair to all. My personal views as a punter with some offshore experiance in the main with displacement craft, is Its what you feel happy with and the conditions you are going to use your boat in most that count.

Ribs by the very nature are safe boats just some are more easy to handle at different times and in different conditions,But all ribs in the main nowadys are just brill boats.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:06   #48

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: Deposit placed

Quote:
Originally posted by micheal
I've placed the deposit
Well done!! What's the spec of the boat & engine... and is it a new one?
Old 26 July 2003, 17:08   #49

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
micheal

As you will see from my profile I'm in Bournemouth and keep my boat in Poole.

If you fancey some company going down to Lulworth or even a lunch trip to Alderney then we could meet up.

Cheers

Mark
Old 26 July 2003, 17:10   #50

Enjoy your boat Micheal.See you next yr in my Battleship.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:28   #51

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Battleship.

So crazy - what tub is it exactly

or is that the six million dollar question.

As a newbie I get the feeling there a bit of history involved with your pending tub
Old 26 July 2003, 17:30   #52

Have a look at my web site if your realy interested.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:33   #53

Richard

Richard
The boat is a boat show demo but hasn't been in the water. The spec is as follows:

7.5m Phantom Evolution, white hull, grey tubes, red console
225hp Mercury Optimax (new)
1xconsole with stowage hatch in kickboard
2xhigh back bucket seats
Bow tank (Just incase we drink too much Brandy & do go out in a Force 10 :-).
Under floor fuel tank
Full sun pad
Deck anchor hatch
Bilge pump
Hydraulic steering
Foot throttle
Heavy duty battery (bigger than standard)
Speedo and fuel gauge
Guaranteed shit-eating grin at full throttle

P.S Has anyone got any ideas for a good name for the boat?
Old 26 July 2003, 17:43   #54

Mark

Thanks for the offer. We would love to meet up some day. Do you go abroad often? Alderney would be good, we would very much like to do a long trip but lack the confidence and experience to go on our own.

We have sent you a private e-mail with phone numbers.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:45   #55

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Name

Congratulations on your new purchase. My suggestion is 'Phantom Menace' - not very original but sounds like it might suit you!!!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2003, 17:54   #56

Louise

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not a menace but I might be a bit naughty at times. We have come up with Almost ( almost fast enough , almost to expensive etc) & F.M.W.W.T as initials so guess what they stand for!
Old 26 July 2003, 17:59   #57

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Good Luck

Michael good luck with your new purchase, hope it goes well for you and she is built to schedule cheers gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2003, 00:46   #58

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Engine: opti 225
Phantom menace was Lee Moxums OCR boat, so it's been done.

Fast Mutha With Waisted Tubes is my guess for the intials, do I win the Teeshirt?
Old 27 July 2003, 09:50   #59

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Initials

I think they stand for F- Me, What Was That?
Old 27 July 2003, 10:17   #60

T-shirt

Sorry Kitten, Richard gets the T-shirt (If I could still afford one that is). Its not a serious suggestion though but your guess was also very good. Thanks.

What am I going to do now? Just got up & its still only Sunday, ,not raining anymore, no boat. 12 days to go yet & with my luck Neil will probably deliver it at the end of the day aswell! Bummer. Wish Neil was as fast at building boats as piloting them.

Thanks to everyone for the good luck messages etc. I think I may need them as the fastest boat I have driven so far did about 55mph.