Old 09 January 2019, 07:52   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I never stabilise petrol or drain fuel even for a long layup. I do put fungicide in diesel in the hard boat but never in any machinery that often lies for months on end never had a problem with old fuel in petrol engines from gennies stihl saws chain saws and outboards large or small apart from the odd bit of gunge in a carb but thats to be expected now and then I guess
Old 09 January 2019, 10:39   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
info

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-co...gehandling.pdf
Old 09 January 2019, 21:01   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post

More theory
Old 10 January 2019, 08:26   #24

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
More theory
it's a fact sheet if you bothered to read it and the bottom line from BP anything others experience above/better than that is a bonus and up to the OP to decide as well as others that might have an interest.
Old 10 January 2019, 08:57   #25

Quote:
it's a fact sheet if you bothered to read it and the bottom line from BP anything others experience above/better than that is a bonus and up to the OP to decide as well as others that might have an interest.
Ignore is best policy, bigplumbs posts up a theory (below) and it is okay....from BP it isn't...funny ol world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I think this is a subject that is exaggerated and blamed for several engine issues wrongly.
Old 10 January 2019, 09:37   #26

Quote:
How relavant is the fact sheet to the uk it looks like an Aussie sheet. It gives a shelf life of 12 months for fuel supplied in sealed containers Ive never seen fuel available in sealed containers in the UK. Id also question why the shelflife changes significantly when bought in sealed containers or sealed in your own containers.
It would also be interesting to know how old the document is as things have changed significantly in recent years.

I'd tend to agree with Bigplumbs that old fuel is blamed for a lot of faults that have other underlying causes that aren't immediately evident.

I've started cars that have had fuel in them several years old which have been fine
It would be interesting to hear from people who have had significant running problems that can be attributed 100% to old fuel

Id imagine there will be very few engines that wouldnt run on old fuel but ran perfect on new fuel without any other remedial work
Old 10 January 2019, 11:15   #27

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
How relavant is the fact sheet to the uk it looks like an Aussie sheet. It gives a shelf life of 12 months for fuel supplied in sealed containers Ive never seen fuel available in sealed containers in the UK.

https://www.willisandgrabham.co.uk/p...yABEgIp6_D_BwE

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...m-four-stroke/

Some info on Aspen
https://en.aspen.se/Files/PDF/Produc...18288917957457

Old 10 January 2019, 11:24   #28

Fuel is dear enough without paying those prices!
I guess thats why its not stocked anywhere
Old 10 January 2019, 11:29   #29

RIBase
i think a very relevant sheet petrol hasn't changed in the fact that it evaporates hence seal the container to prevent it. [ does not refer to buying it in sealed containers].
more poinuent is the second page referring to boats and the effects of ethanol keeping tanks topped up and stabilizing additive hence to 12 month life which for most of us poses no problems if we follow these guidelines.
the table shows the effects of evaporation when fuel tanks are left unsealed and its got to change the composition of the fuel what effect that has on the modern day engines i dont know but for me it's either a full or empty tank
personally ive had bad fuel in an aux motor [my fault left it 18 months it's a very different colour more brown and smells stale changed it out no probs]
Old 10 January 2019, 12:03   #30

Quote:
i think a very relevant sheet petrol hasn't changed in the fact that it evaporates hence seal the container to prevent it. [ does not refer to buying it in sealed containers].
more poinuent is the second page referring to boats and the effects of ethanol keeping tanks topped up and stabilizing additive hence to 12 month life which for most of us poses no problems if we follow these guidelines.
the table shows the effects of evaporation when fuel tanks are left unsealed and its got to change the composition of the fuel what effect that has on the modern day engines i dont know but for me it's either a full or empty tank
personally ive had bad fuel in an aux motor [my fault left it 18 months it's a very different colour more brown and smells stale changed it out no probs]
The sheet is of Australian origin where I suspect their fuel standards and make up could be significantly diferent to ours.it mentions storage times of 6 months and 3 months @ 20°& 30° when does the uk see consistent temperatures in those ranges.
It also mentions when sealed containers are opened the shelf life halves it also mentions once the seal is broken which leads me to believe they are talking about fuel bought in sealed containers.

No indication of the age of the document & fuel make up has changed significantly over recent years

So several factors for me questioning its relavance for uk boaters

Did you try to run your aux prior to changing the fuel? Or change it as a precaution?
Old 10 January 2019, 12:37   #31

RIBase
the fuel makeup doesn't bother me that could change at any time i think it outlines the fact if you take the precautions they mention you'll be fine and 12 months is a baseline and some dont have a problem over the season. 20 + degrees in summer months is regular where i live

Did you try to run your aux prior to changing the fuel? Or change it as a precaution?

yep wouldn't start went through all the basics drained the fuel off re filled started first pull.

if you download the safety data sheets for the uk the ones i have found are dated 2006
Old 10 January 2019, 13:06   #32

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Fuel is dear enough without paying those prices!
Seen it for sale at several mower/garden machine places. There are some commercial users of small engined tools that swear by it, stihl sell it as premixed for their tools as motomix. Aspen sell pre mixed 2 and 4 stroke versions.

VP sell race spec fuels in sealed containers and I think AVgas is also available in containers.

https://www.santapodshop.com/garage/race-fuel
Old 10 January 2019, 16:01   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Without wishing to enter the wider debate, I must mention that I can buy Aspen over the counter in my local garden tool shop - and I'm not located in a part of the world known for being fussy about the provenance (or nationality) of fuel

I asked the lad there who was using it - he reckoned some of the professional saw guys used nothing else. I guess they pass the cost on...